Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

handiest place to get a multi game jamma board

• 10-04-2012 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I'm looking at building a bartop and I think mame wouldn't work as I am trying to keep it small and building a pc inside it for mame wouldn't work out so I figure these multi game jamma boards would do the job.

Does anyone out there have any experience with them? Also where could I pick them up handy in the EU?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Limericks wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'm looking at building a bartop and I think mame wouldn't work as I am trying to keep it small and building a pc inside it for mame wouldn't work out so I figure these multi game jamma boards would do the job.

Does anyone out there have any experience with them? Also where could I pick them up handy in the EU?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Avoid the multi game systems like blue elf 1/2 etc as they are really crappy and just a low spec and old tech pc running a skinned version of windows 2000, usually with an old noisy fan system and dodgy 10gg ide hdd.
    I've had a few different types and none of them are any good. Maybe grab a cheap MVS board with a 120 in 1 cart or something like that. Or stick a small pc in there with some sort of front end like hyperspin or something less resource hungry if the pc is low spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Yeah since I put this thread up I have changed my mind and am gonna build a weecade which has ample room for a mini itx board.

So mame and hyperspin it is!

I wont be doing it for a few weeks but will be sure to take photo's of it and put a thread up here as I build it :)

Limericks wrote: »
    Yeah since I put this thread up I have changed my mind and am gonna build a weecade which has ample room for a mini itx board.

So mame and hyperspin it is!

Excellent. There are loads of good bartop arcade cabs around to draw inspiration from. Here's mine. It's not exactly like the weecade but it's similar, they would have a lot in common in terms of the build process.

mackdaddi's hyperspin bartop

Feel free to borrow any ideas you like the look of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Excellent. There are loads of good bartop arcade cabs around to draw inspiration from. Here's mine. It's not exactly like the weecade but it's similar, they would have a lot in common in terms of the build process.

mackdaddi's hyperspin bartop

Feel free to borrow any ideas you like the look of.
    Someone quench my ignorance, as I'v never dealt with these emulators before. I'v seen most MAME cabs have i7s, 4-8GB RAM etc. Isn't that a bit overkill for a C64 emulator or SNES emulator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Hey All,

Sorry to Hijack this thread, but I too want a MultiGame Jamma PCB.

I already have a Mame Cab, but for my New MACE Jamma Cab (4 Buttons per player), Its fully working and its a buzz having to drop Euros into it. At present all I have is Neo geo without the Sound plugged into the Jamma.
    SAM_0299.JPG

Id like something like:

1 Jamma Multi Game PCB
    Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302-1-Happy-fish-2-jamma-Neo-geo-kof-metal-slug-good-speed-/170822698054?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item27c5d38446#ht_7844wt_1083

2 I have Neo Geo Slots 1 but none really work well at present.
    Looking into Cleaning and got dozen Games.
    Might also get 161-1 Cart

3 Also on Look out for few good Jamma PCB's, but funds are tight.
    Something thats timeless, Turtles, Wrestlefest, Rastan.
    (Gutted I didnt buy Rastan few weeks ago when I had the chance)

Suggestions on a Postcard :)
    Kev

• Advertisement

Someone quench my ignorance, as I'v never dealt with these emulators before. I'v seen most MAME cabs have i7s, 4-8GB RAM etc. Isn't that a bit overkill for a C64 emulator or SNES emulator?

For a c64 or SNES emulator alone, yes, definitely, but the bulk of the processing power used in many PC-based cabs is for the frontend software, the GUI application that acts as the main "appearance" for the cab. It's a piece of software that acts as a launcher for multiple different emulators and other programs, lists your games, allows you to switch seamlessly between different systems, and often has accompanying video previews, box shots, music, artwork, etc which are displayed as you're scrolling through the available roms.

All this adds to the tightness and overall experience of the machine, but all these visual effects, videos, etc all use processor, graphics, and ram power and take up HDD space.

Furthermore, if you want to run games from later generations than the c64 or SNES ones, like any of the 64bit or later disc-based consoles, (the later sega machines, PS2 emulators etc) you need a fair bit of power to run the game emulation, the frontend, and all the underlying OS and computer stuff at the same time without your box becoming a stuttering mess and spoiling the game experience or breaking the illusion that you're playing on a real arcade cab and not just a dressed up PC.

For example, the cab i posted a link to is running the hyperspin frontend with MAME and the 8,16, and 64bit generation home consoles. It has a 2.8ghz P4 processor, 4GB ram, and onboard graphics, and has had it's XP OS heavily tuned for performance, and it still just about runs all the software on it comfortably, there isn't really much performance headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 john mc mullan

hi i know some one with a rastan taito board what offer will u make on it if i can get him to part with it....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

hi i know some one with a rastan taito board what offer will u make on it if i can get him to part with it....?

Hi John,

Dead on thanks for the heads up.
    I bloody love Rastan, so wouldnt mind it being stuck in a cab full time :)

I might have sourced one in UK, he coming back to me in 2 weeks after he has time to complete game himself.
    But if there is one closer to home, I would be interested. I'll PM you my number there if you want to pass it on.

Thanks Kev

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If your friend has a board to sell he/she can post it on adverts and link it here.

Thanks,
    LoGiE

Advertisement