Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident Canada Square

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Just went into Canada Square there now Garda preserving a crime scene, one whole section taped off. 3 areas conned off and covered with a tarp. Something serious by the looks of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tweet from Damien Teirnan
    Damien Tiernan ‏ @damienrte
    3 people stabbed in an attack in waterford city in an appartment last night, one stabbed in neck, all stable in WRH, one man arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

A game of knifey-spoony got out of hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Irish people - 6/1
    Foreign Nationals - 1/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alcohol 2/1
    Dry house 10/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

mike65 wrote: »
    Alcohol 2/1
    Dry house 100/1

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That has the makings of a nice double Mike

RTE are reporting it now.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0410/waterford-knife-attack.html
    Gardaí received a report of a disturbance at Neptune House in Canada Square shortly before midnight.
    A 38-year-old man was found with a deep cut to his throat. He was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital and underwent emergency surgery.
    A 24-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman were also taken to hospital with cuts to the face and underarm.
    Gardaí say all three are in a stable condition.
    A 26-year-old man was arrested a short distance from the scene and is currently being detained at Waterford Garda Station.
    Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to contact them on 051 305300.
    The three injured people are from the Ferrybank area.
    Gardaí say it is believed all four people were known to each other.

What were the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

RTE are reporting it now.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0410/waterford-knife-attack.html

What were the odds?

abouttobebanned was correct - Foreign Nationals (Ferrybank)...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Madness,

Canada square is down behind the tower hotel right?

ziedth wrote: »
    Madness,

Canada square is down behind the tower hotel right?
    Behind the Marina Hotel /Quality Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's the one,

I get that area mixed up easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

ziedth wrote: »
    That's the one,

I get that area mixed up easily enough.

I read an article recently about the top Cork Garda saying violence has gone up in Cork recently as he has noticed a change in behaviours, a move towards more aggressive behaviour. Its obviously not just a Cork phenomenon. Whats causing this?
    - increased violence on TV/games
    - increased drug/drink abuse
    - seems to be slack sentancing for similar serious violence/knife violence
    - people want instant gratification, unable or dont have the attention span that people had before information was so easily available.
    - I would add : The influence of images on screen like rappers who disgustingly flaunt material wealth, material wealth they rap about got thru violence/dealin etc. Women seen as basically money grabbing prostitutes. You could put up a range of other pathetic role-models too, the likes of some premiership footballers for a start.

This is a wide issue, obviously, I like some rap (more the older stuff) and i know a lot of rap/hip-hop is about more than drugs/women/guns etc and has tackled numerous social issues such as racisim. Rap deserves serious credit for that and lets be clear, im not calling for a footloose style outlawing of rap/HH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I think it's more to do with the fact that people are more cowardly these days and resort to weapons to resolve things because people want to look "hard". 15 years ago there was no where near the amount of knife crime and gun crime in Ireland but that's not to say there wasn't a serious amount of crime in general.

People used to sort out their differences either verbally or through a punch up and shake hands afterwards (I'm not saying there wasn't a smaller percentage of knife/gun crime), now it's people trying to act "hard" and picking fights with people and the fight is broken up and 10 minutes later someone returns with a knife and attacks the person (you hear of this type of scenario a lot in news reports).

I think crime in general has probably increased throughout the recession. I also think it would be interesting to see some stats on whether crime has increased since the reduction in Social Welfare payment for Under 21s (I think it was Under 21s, it may have been Under 23s) in the Budget.

I wouldn't really rate the influence of rappers on crime in Ireland, maybe in America but I don't think rappers have that type of influence over here. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Alcohol 2/1
    Dry house 10/1

Nice overround :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Any names released yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Max Powers wrote: »
    I read an article recently about the top Cork Garda saying violence has gone up in Cork recently as he has noticed a change in behaviours, a move towards more aggressive behaviour. Its obviously not just a Cork phenomenon. Whats causing this?
    - people want instant gratification, unable or dont have the attention span that people had before information was so easily available.
    - I would add : The influence of images on screen like rappers who disgustingly flaunt material wealth, material wealth they rap about got thru violence/dealin etc. Women seen as basically money grabbing prostitutes. You could put up a range of other pathetic role-models too, the likes of some premiership footballers for a start.

This is a wide issue, obviously, I like some rap (more the older stuff) and i know a lot of rap/hip-hop is about more than drugs/women/guns etc and has tackled numerous social issues such as racisim. Rap deserves serious credit for that and lets be clear, im not calling for a footloose style outlawing of rap/HH.

Yeah its the rap, before that it was Black Metal, before that hippies and their damned LSD, before that Mods & Rockers, before that jazz and Satanic Delta Blues :rolleyes:

Yeah its the rap, before that it was Black Metal, before that hippies and their damned LSD, before that Mods & Rockers, before that jazz and Satanic Delta Blues :rolleyes:
    Careful now! :D

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I know two of the people involved. I doubt names will be released. I assume names are only released if the parties involved are interested in pursuing a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Nothing to do with the fact the civilized world is disintegrating and people have no future no? Ireland is the arse of Europe and Waterford is the arse of Ireland :D

Blame Jay-Z yeah . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

hahahaahahah aw

go back to 1997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I love the way a few people get stabbed and all of a sudden every pet theory in the book gets an airing. All sorts of psychological theories, social and economic trends. Violence happens. It always did happen, it was always this bad, it hasn't gotten worse and it always will happen, probably at more or less the same level, or less (if CCTV, tracking, micro-chipping, thought crime, etc. kick in big time!) in the future, and it will always be senseless. And there will always be people saying "back in my day, when two lads can a disagreement, they played a game of conkers and the loser got a chinese burn..."

But... if you want a believable pet theory: more than likely it was between two men over a woman, with a few drinks as the accelerant, and a friend or two in the mix. Basically, like about 90% of all disputes in this town and every other town in Ireland. (That, or drugs.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

I reckon i missed it by about 10-15 minutes. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think we can all agree on one thing, punishments that have been handed out thus far for knife crime have been far too lenient.

Simple possession of a blade without good reason (I've come home from work with a Stanley in my pocket without realising) should result in you being locked up for a few months, or at the very least some serious community service time.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

I wouldn't really rate the influence of rappers on crime in Ireland, maybe in America but I don't think rappers have that type of influence over here. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Waterford United have gone to ****e since 50 Cent togged out at the RSC.

Down with this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

TheGormog wrote: »
    Waterford United have gone to ****e since 50 Cent togged out at the RSC.

Down with this sort of thing!

Waterford United were always ****e dude :cool:

Thankfully the one remaining in hospital should be released tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

hardybuck wrote: »
    Simple possession of a blade without good reason (I've come home from work with a Stanley in my pocket without realising) should result in you being locked up for a few months, or at the very least some serious community service time.

Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 covers that, anyone caight with a knife or other pointed instrument, without reasonable excuse (carpenter having a Stanley, leccy having a snip nose pliers, etc) or without the excuse for work or recreational purposes (gutting knife on a fisherman), you can get 12 months and/or €5000 fine.

If it can be proved that you had it with the intent of using it to harm someone, it's 5 years.

merlante wrote: »
    I love the way a few people get stabbed and all of a sudden every pet theory in the book gets an airing. All sorts of psychological theories, social and economic trends. Violence happens. It always did happen, it was always this bad, it hasn't gotten worse and it always will happen, probably at more or less the same level, or less (if CCTV, tracking, micro-chipping, thought crime, etc. kick in big time!) in the future, and it will always be senseless. And there will always be people saying "back in my day, when two lads can a disagreement, they played a game of conkers and the loser got a chinese burn..."

But... if you want a believable pet theory: more than likely it was between two men over a woman, with a few drinks as the accelerant, and a friend or two in the mix. Basically, like about 90% of all disputes in this town and every other town in Ireland. (That, or drugs.)

Thats funny in fairness Merlante.
    Media 999, thanks for the well-considered intelligent rebuttle:D.

I dunno, this Garda would have seen it all from the 70s onwards, thru recessions, emigration etc so i would be taking his word over others on here so I would disagree with aggression levels have stayed the same. There must be an increase in serious assaults in last 10 years. What other factors have added to the mix? I dont buy the unemployment one, which was there all thru the 70/80s and trotted out by the rioters in London as their excuse (which Sky news basically told them to say).
    With the music thing and having read up a small bit about it, a lot of opinion says that it shouldnt affect behaviour in most people but it can those with easily influenced minds (for want of a better phrase). Same goes for the video games. One person i read says the simple thing most will notice: Years ago, certain images would be disturbing/shocking to most of us but the visual bombardment of the images over last 10+ years have de-sensitised the majority to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 covers that, anyone caight with a knife or other pointed instrument, without reasonable excuse (carpenter having a Stanley, leccy having a snip nose pliers, etc) or without the excuse for work or recreational purposes (gutting knife on a fisherman), you can get 12 months and/or €5000 fine.

If it can be proved that you had it with the intent of using it to harm someone, it's 5 years.

Fantastic, would be great if our judges would inforce the above to it's maximum then. Pity that our prisons are overcrowded.

• Advertisement

No where near enough, up to 12 months usually means a slap on the wrist. The Gardai should be going around stopping people randomly, if caught, they should be (since no prison space) sent out to pick up all the rubbish on a 5 mile stretch of road red square or somehting (9-5) and kept at until the place is spotless.

Advertisement