Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fukushima spent fuel pool over reactor 4 in danger of collapsing

• 10-04-2012 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

News is coming in that Fulushima reactor 4 is in a very fragile condition and is in danger of collapsing which would expose several hundred tons of spent fuel rods. If this were to happen I would not like to be in North Japan. What beats me is why isn't there an international team involved in this mop up operation. If Russia could encase Chernobyl in a concrete tomb why couldn't they do something similar to this if they knew it had any chance of collapsing.

After enduring many months of total information blackout on the situation, an intelligence source connected with NaturalNews has just informed us that Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor 4 may now be on the verge of collapsing, and that mass evacuations in northern Japan could be necessary if such a collapse occurs and is confirmed.

It now appears that reactor 4's cooling tower, which had previously been reported to be leaning and in danger of falling (“Very, Very Serious”: Unit No. 4 leaning, in danger of falling — Gov’t confirms stabilization efforts underway (PHOTO & VIDEO)...), is now following course with its inevitable fate, which is a possible total collapse.

According to our source, the entire reactor 4 structure has been deemed "highly unstable," and the south wall of the reactor appears to be headed into an imminent structural failure. This situation, of course, is extremely dangerous and could have devastating consequences for Northern Japan as well as North America, which is why mass evacuations in Japan would be a likely outcome in the hours following such a collapse

Learn more: Red alert: Fukushima nuclear reactor 4 possibly collapsing, say sources, mass evacuations may be necessary

http://akiomatsumura.com/2012/04/682.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Fuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so is it the core or the tower, two very different and seperate parts. I the cooling tower collapses, it's no big deal. It's just a huge tower for cooling vented steam and water...

I'm surprised they didn't just knock down the tower before now if it's actually a problem. On the other hand if it's the core that could cause a lot of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

when I go out tomorrow Im in danger of being run over by a car. theres in danger of something and theres probably. 2 very different things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The topic is rather sensationalist. The natural news report is from December. I initially thought it was an imminent disaster (like next few hours). And i'm not entirely sure on the overall accuracy of the information..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

More doom and gloom, honest, lads, can we get back to fanny pads on cars, dating disasters or the funny side of getting older?

I am going to drag myself into bed now with visions of impending disasters on my mind :(.

Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I wonder how long the half life of this thread is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

News is coming in that Fulushima reactor 4 is in a very fragile condition and is in danger of collapsing which would expose several hundred tons of spent fuel rods. If this were to happen I would not like to be in North Japan. What beats me is why isn't there an international team involved in this mop up operation. If Russia could encase Chernobyl in a concrete tomb why couldn't they do something similar to this if they knew it had any chance of collapsing.

The Japs hate asking anybody else for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The topic is rather sensationalist. The natural news report is from December. I initially thought it was an imminent disaster (like next few hours).
    Scientist are predicting a 70 percent change of a magnitude 7 or greater to hit Fukushima some time this year, and a 98 percent chance of a big earthquake hitting the area in the next three years. That would be imminent enough if they can't get their act together to stabilize the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

nice bit of an aul nuclear disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

scudzilla wrote: »

Yep and spent relief money on this:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/japan-using-quake-disaster-budget-for-whaling-aid

• Advertisement

Their pride could be their downfall. In this situation it would be incredibly selfish considering the serious global impact it could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,304 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If Russia could encase Chernobyl in a concrete tomb why couldn't they do something similar to this if they knew it had any chance of collapsing.
    Yeeeahhhhhhh..... and how many people died during/as a result of the sarcophagus op? Couple hundred? Few thousand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeeeahhhhhhh..... and how many people died during/as a result of the sarcophagus op? Couple hundred? Few thousand?

57 total direct deaths from the whole incident
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Assessing_the_disaster.27s_effects_on_human_health

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Probably don't need any. Their nuclear plant experts are as good as anyone else out there.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it tbh.

Japan is miles away sure.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about it tbh.

Japan is miles away sure.
    Knock on effects, Japanese exports, electronics, cars, components, a rise in global oil prices as more and more countries opt for oil and natural gas instead of this potential deadly form of energy .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Knock on effects, Japanese exports, electronics, cars, components, a rise in global oil prices as more and more countries opt for oil and natural gas instead of this potential deadly form of energy .

you just had to get all scientifical on me didn't you - ( sad face )

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    you just had to get all scientifical on me didn't you - ( sad face )
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

As far as I understand it Chernobyl still leaked a lot of radiation into the ground soil.
    I think reports to date show that the Japanese have been more about saving face than about safety. Too much honor and pride nonsense when it comes to something this big.

Does anyone know what the story really is here? As in, is this an imminent threat or an ongoing one? I always wanted to go to Japan and still do, I'd like it to still be there in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

They'll really be shagged if an earthquake wakes up Godzilla ..:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I've been reading about the spent fuel pool over the last few weeks and it is very serious indeed. Potentially a lot worse than Chernobyl.

The whole building has been listing since the original earthquake.

The problem is that if the fuel pool empties, then the fuel will quickly heat up and catch fire. A huge amount or radioactive material will be released into the atmosphere and will effect the whole Northern hemisphere. There is far more fuel here than was in Chernobyl. Nearly 500 tonnes of the stuff.

If this scenario plays out then they will have to evacuate because being in the vicinity will be suicide. This means there is no one left to look after the other reactors. If rods catch fire, then other areas may have to be evacuated.

At the time of the original disaster, they were worried about a chain-reaction form hell. Having to evacuate other normally functioning reactors because of contamination from Fukushima. This could cause a chain reaction of meltdowns.

Very worrying.

Shryke wrote: »
    As far as I understand it Chernobyl still leaked a lot of radiation into the ground soil.
    I think reports to date show that the Japanese have been more about saving face than about safety. Too much honor and pride nonsense when it comes to something this big.

The Japanese had this same problem with national pride during WW2.

Chernobyl's problem is anything but over. The original reinforced concrete sarcophagus is subject to break down over the years. A new larger containment building is being constructed as we speak.

http://www.interfax.com.ua/eng/main/99187/

so is it the core or the tower, two very different and seperate parts. I the cooling tower collapses, it's no big deal. It's just a huge tower for cooling vented steam and water...

I'm surprised they didn't just knock down the tower before now if it's actually a problem. On the other hand if it's the core that could cause a lot of issues.

It is the spent fuel pool. Where they store the old fuel - extremely radioactive stuff that has be be constantly kept cool.

They decided to locate the spent fuel pool above the reactor. Unlike the reactor cores, there is no containment for this fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Must update my iodine tablets.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

The topic is rather sensationalist. The natural news report is from December. I initially thought it was an imminent disaster (like next few hours). And i'm not entirely sure on the overall accuracy of the information..

The Fukushima disaster is ongoing, and apparently getting worse.
    They discovered that there was only 2 feet of cooling water in reactor 2 two, instead of 30 feet. Due to the extremely high radiation, they do not yet know how to solve this problem. They have not invented the technology yet.

They believe reactors 1 and 3 are even worse than reactor 2 - but have no way of checking them!

They also keep dumping radioactive water into the ocean. Twice they've accidentally done this in the last couple of weeks.

OldGoat wrote: »

Apparently calcium is also good to take, for radioactive Caesium.
    Hopefully they'll be able to do something with this fuel pool. I hope they hurry up and solve this, or we'll have another Kyshtym.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Not a bad idea since we live only a stones throw away from the largest plutonium Mox Dump in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Any chance of a more recent, less biased news source....even say the Daily Mail perhaps:eek:

Some 'headlines' from the home page of that site;
    • Dr. Andrew Wakefield reveals real story behind vaccines, autism and more
    • Mental health disorders mean high-profit business for prescription drug cartel
    • Revealing documentary exposes disturbing truths about processed milk
    • The Swiss government's exceedingly positive report on homeopathic medicine
    • Donald Trump publicly links vaccines to autism

It might be a better idea to rename this thread:

"Fukushima spent fuel pool in danger of collapsing"
    instead of
    "Fukushima 4 reactor cooling tower in danger of collapsing."

I understand that it is cooling the fuel, but people generally imagine those large cooling towers used to cool the water from the reactors when they read that.
    This is more like a huge swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

After enduring many months of total information blackout on the situation, an intelligence source connected with NaturalNews has just informed us that Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor 4 may now be on the verge of collapsing, and that mass evacuations in northern Japan could be necessary if such a collapse occurs and is confirmed.

It now appears that reactor 4's cooling tower, which had previously been reported to be leaning and in danger of falling (“Very, Very Serious”: Unit No. 4 leaning, in danger of falling — Gov’t confirms stabilization efforts underway (PHOTO & VIDEO)...), is now following course with its inevitable fate, which is a possible total collapse.

According to our source, the entire reactor 4 structure has been deemed "highly unstable," and the south wall of the reactor appears to be headed into an imminent structural failure. This situation, of course, is extremely dangerous and could have devastating consequences for Northern Japan as well as North America, which is why mass evacuations in Japan would be a likely outcome in the hours following such a collapse

Learn more: Red alert: Fukushima nuclear reactor 4 possibly collapsing, say sources, mass evacuations may be necessary

http://akiomatsumura.com/2012/04/682.html

chernobyl is in a very poor state of condition right now... the tomb they quickly built at the time is also in seriously poor condition right now....it too needs to be replaced by a more permanent structure to ensure the still cooling damaged reactor doesnt get exposed to the elements again.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Any chance of a more recent, less biased news source....even say the Daily Mail perhaps:eek:

Some 'headlines' from the home page of that site;

No, there is little chance of it.

Mainstream media isn't reporting Fukushima any more. If you want news about the ongoing disaster, you'll have to read less well known websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think I'm turning Japanese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

I would be more likely to believe a news report from the Onion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

this is how Godzilla becomes real

So you do not believe that the fuel pool is in danger of collapse?

What condition is Fukushima in then? - everything going fine is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Don't remember saying anything like that.

Don't remember saying anything like that.
    You are calling into doubt the news sources, are you not?
    So, do you have better information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/r/movie/index.html

lets see if they have anything to say about it.

Ah sure it will be grand! Go on and have a cup of tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No, there is little chance of it.

Mainstream media isn't reporting Fukushima any more. If you want news about the ongoing disaster, you'll have to read less well known websites.

I did a little bit more research on these so called less well known sites that generate this paranoia. One of the first sites that cropped up was Alex Jones' Prisonplanet so I would hazard the guess that it is absolute rubbish as this news is only supported by conspiracy sites, other headlines on Prisonplanet include 'The globalists have kept us from having kids'. This isn't news sites ignoring the news, its conspiratorial minds exaggerating the news.

• Advertisement

It might be a better idea to rename this thread:

"Fukushima spent fuel pool in danger of collapsing"
    instead of
    "Fukushima 4 reactor cooling tower in danger of collapsing."

I understand that it is cooling the fuel, but people generally imagine those large cooling towers used to cool the water from the reactors when they read that.
    This is more like a huge swimming pool.
    The cooling pool lies directly over the reactor, probably to facilitate gantry cranes to remove, exchange and store spent fuel rods. One of the biggest problems of dealing with spent rods is the expense and safety concerns of removing them and this is probably the main reason why so many of them were allowed to build up to such a dangerous level.

This diagram would give people a good idea to the layout of the reactor and overhead cooling pools.

http://i44.tinypic.com/16i5hg9.jpg

I did a little bit more research on these so called less well known sites that generate this paranoia. One of the first sites that cropped up was Alex Jones' Prisonplanet so I would hazard the guess that it is absolute rubbish as this news is only supported by conspiracy sites, other headlines on Prisonplanet include 'The globalists have kept us from having kids'. This isn't news sites ignoring the news, its conspiratorial minds exaggerating the news.

You're not telling us what is really happening at Fukushima.
    Either the fuel pool is in danger of collapsing, or it is not.

Even the BBC reported the low water level story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17533398

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭SeanW

Meanwhile, for all the scaremongering, the accident at Fukushima has only killed two people - crane operators who died when their crane collapsed as a direct result of the earthquake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Ah sure it will be grand! Go on and have a cup of tea?

Kettle's on, I've some nice iodine biscuits here too:P

SeanW wrote: »
    Meanwhile, for all the scaremongering, the accident at Fukushima has only killed two people - crane operators who died when their crane collapsed as a direct result of the earthquake.

Unless you are talking about acute radiation sickness, it does not work that way. People just don't walk into the exclusion zone and drop dead.

What has happened here is that the land and sea is contaminated. When this contamination enters the human body it can create adverse health effects. Some of these effects are not evident until many years after exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Probably don't need any. Their nuclear plant experts are as good as anyone else out there.

And also probably the least likely of any nationality, to ever ask for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You're not telling us what is really happening at Fukushima.

But this one, unsubstantiated report, is?

Get out.

But this one, unsubstantiated report, is?

Get out.

There are lots of reports about the spent fuel pool of reactor 4. There are even youtube videos and pictures that show a significant list to the building.

Which part of the report do you doubt? Do you believe that the report is fabricated? or is it something else you have a problem with?

This fuel pool has been a concern right from the start of the crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Surely a tin foil hat is all you need, OP.

Do some people believe that everything at Fukushima is going along fine? There is no concern for alarm?

Why the comments about tin foil hats, etc?

Were people posting stuff about conspiracy theories and tin foil hats when the BP blowout happened?

• Advertisement
Advertisement