Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposal to limit Catholic Church’s role in primary schools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gurramok wrote: »
    Not when I was in a Catholic school in the 80's. The Hail Mary was drummed into us literally every day and there was no study of other religions or no religions.

Yes I imagine so, 80s Ireland was still very subordinate to the Catholic Church, it did evolve over time though and Religious education became a subject of substance and worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

gurramok wrote: »
    Not when I was in a Catholic school in the 80's. The Hail Mary was drummed into us literally every day and there was no study of other religions or no religions.
    When you pray the Hail Mary you are praying to a dead body in a grave awaiting the resurrection. Praying to Dead bodies is forbidden in Deuteronomy. 18:11

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

the problem is that Catholics have over 90% of the schools in the country.

There are some towns in Ireland where if you wanted to send your child to a Christian or Secular school you would have no choice in the matter because the only school in the area would be a Catholic run school.
    `

But sure 84% of the population are quite happy to regard themselves as catholic so the schools meets what the vast majority of what the population want.

If the tiny minority of atheists or whoever feel so strongly that they don't want to send their children to a catholic school why don't they set up their own schools or move somewhere that better suit their needs.

omega666 wrote: »
    `

But sure 84% of the population are quite happy to regard themselves as catholic so the schools meets what the vast majority of what the population want.

If the tiny minority of atheists or whoever feel so strongly that they don't want to send their children to a catholic school why don't they set up their own schools or move somewhere that better suit their needs.
    This is what I find so hypocritical about Irish people, They curse the Catholic Church for what it is, they call it a corrupt pedophile organisation and at the same time they would tick the box on the census form, get their child christened, partake in their wedding and funeral ceremonies. I have plenty of friends at this this. You can't knock a system and take part in it at the same time. The Catholic Church is built on numbers and they feed on that.

I admire my brother when I asked him recently was he going to get his child Christened he said NO, he is not Christian and he is was correct not Christening his child. The Child must become to the age of reason to decide himself whether she wants to become Christian. It is not biblical and when a priest spills a spoon of water over a babies head it only gets its head wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

This is what I find so hypocritical about Irish people, They curse the Catholic Church for what it is, they call it a corrupt pedophile organisation and at the same time they would tick the box on the census form, get their child christened, partake in their wedding and funeral ceremonies. I have plenty of friends at this this. You can't knock a system and take part in it at the same time. The Catholic Church is built on numbers and they feed on that.

I admire my brother when I asked him recently was he going to get his child Christened he said NO, he is not Christian and he is was correct not Christening his child. The Child must become to the age of reason to decide himself whether she wants to become Christian. It is not biblical and when a priest spills a spoon of water over a babies head it only gets its head wet.

Yes there are problems in the church no one not even the most devout can deny that. But there are problems in a lot of this yet people still take part. You have to learn from your mistakes, improve and move on that's life.
    BOI and other banks made afoul mistakes yet people still have bank accounts with them.
    Lastly on your last line i presume your just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Jcarroll07 wrote: »
    Yes there are problems in the church no one not even the most devout can deny that. But there are problems in a lot of this yet people still take part. You have to learn from your mistakes, improve and move on that's life.
    BOI and other banks made afoul mistakes yet people still have bank accounts with them.
    Lastly on your last line i presume your just taking the piss.
    Can you provide a link to the evidence that BOI or any other financial institution was involved in the mass rape,sexualabuse and physical abuse and that they at the highest levels in those institutions sought to cover up that abuse and to obstruct state investigations into that abuse.

lividduck wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to the evidence that BOI or any other financial institution was involved in the mass rape,sexualabuse and physical abuse and that they at the highest levels in those institutions sought to cover up that abuse and to obstruct state investigations into that abuse.

The banks have caused great hardship in this country and i would presume your to smart to try and defend the banking institutions of this country. You and i both know the banks lied to the government of this country and as a result many thousands have to endure a life of hardship weather that be unemployment to eviction the sign of the banking misconduct are clear for all to see. It may not be the same type of abuse but it is just as hard on the people that are affected by it. Both the church and the banks lied and covered up. But we now have to move on you can't look back for your whole life and complain get you no where.
    The church are not the first and as we all know not the last to lie to us. So stop trying to make it out as if they are the only one to ever have done some thing like this. I am not defending the action of those involved but we all know it wasn't the whole church.

No I am serious. I don't accept the Roman Catholic Church to be a Christian church. It is a an evil pagan cradle to the casket cult based on hypocrisy, lies, deceit, superstition, corruption, materialism all this dressed up with words and names that are found in the Bible.

There is no such thing as a Roman Catholic Christian because it is a contradiction in terminology. No professed Christian in their right mind should put a penny on the plate to feed the largest untouchable pedophile ring in the world.

If you want to hide a lie you hide it between two truths and this has been the name of the game of the Catholic church right down to the time of Emperor Constantine. It is written: "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light". 2 Corinthians 11:14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When you pray the Hail Mary you are praying to a dead body in a grave awaiting the resurrection. Praying to Dead bodies is forbidden in Deuteronomy. 18:11
    Not according to Catholic Dogma: Assumption of Mary

Does it annoy catholics when an atheist knows more about their religion than they do?

The banks have caused great hardship in this country and i would presume your to smart to try and defend the banking institutions of this country. You and i both know the banks lied to the government of this country and as a result many thousands have to endure a life of hardship weather that be unemployment to eviction the sign of the banking misconduct are clear for all to see. It may not be the same type of abuse but it is just as hard on the people that are affected by it. Both the church and the banks lied and covered up. But we now have to move on you can't look back for your whole life and complain get you no where.
    The church are not the first and as we all know not the last to lie to us. So stop trying to make it out as if they are the only one to ever have done some thing like this. I am not defending the action of those involved but we all know it wasn't the whole church.
    The arrogance of you to claim that being a ten year old victim of sodomy and rape and being forced to swear an oath to secrecy in order to protect your abuser is is just as hard as losing your Job!
    Were I post what I really think of you I would be banned for life from boards!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Not according to Catholic Dogma: Assumption of Mary

Does it annoy catholics when an atheist knows more about their religion than they do?
    I don't accept Catholic Church Dogma.

Christ is the only person ever to exist on this planet that rose from the dead and ascend into heaven..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Christ is the only person ever to exist on this planet that rose from the dead and ascend into heaven..

http://i.imgur.com/MOdbG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭StudentDad

This country needs a total separation of church and state. We are supposed to be a Republic ffs!

Where the state is paying for the upkeep of schools, the employment of teachers etc etc., the roman catholic church or any church for that matter has no business dictating policy or methods etc in regard to education.

The sooner religious interference in the education of our children is stopped the better.

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    This country needs a total separation of church and state. We are supposed to be a Republic ffs!

Where the state is paying for the upkeep of schools, the employment of teachers etc etc., the roman catholic church or any church for that matter has no business dictating policy or methods etc in regard to education.

The sooner religious interference in the education of our children is stopped the better.

SD

no problem, buy all the land, schools and deeds from the catholic church and away you go. Just dont come complaining when there is a huge increase in you tax to pay for it for the next 50 years.

no problem, buy all the land, schools and deeds from the catholic church and away you go. Just dont come complaining when there is a huge increase in you tax to pay for it for the next 50 years.
    Better still just nationalize them!
    Actually don't the Catholic orders still owe us taxpayers €750 million from the abuse redress compensation.

The Church owe it to the country on repatriation grounds for all the sex abuse atrocities, cover ups and legal expenses that it has cost the tax payer down through the years.

The Church owe it to the country on repatriation grounds for all the sex abuse atrocities, cover ups and legal expenses that it has cost the tax payer down through the years.

Already ruled out by our minister for education.

Ruairi Quinn has sought the transfer many schools from Catholic trustees to the State. He also threw out an idea that schools could be used as capital by religious orders with outstanding or insufficient redress contributions.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/features/church-and-state-finances-are-dependent-on-assets-true-value-172142.html

Thankyou for illustrating quite nicely just how un-christian the rc church is. If it was truly a christian organisation it would happily give over school buildings etc to the state without question. It won't do that though will it? No it wants it's 40 pieces of silver.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't accept Catholic Church Dogma.

It's unclear, in doctrine, if she was dead or not. She's not the only person to have been 'taken up' while still alive, Enoch was too, apparently.

If you don't follow Catholic doctrine, what chuch do you belong to?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    It's unclear, in doctrine, if she was dead or not. She's not the only person to have been 'taken up' while still alive, Enoch was too, apparently.

If you don't follow Catholic doctrine, what chuch do you belong to?
    I would attend an independent church such as ST Marks on Pearse St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I come from a very religious background but I was sent to a school which didn't do the communions/confirmations as part of class time. If we wanted to do that we did it through our own churches. Great idea IMO.
    Also our RE classes were spent learning about other religions and their differences- very respectful and well done
    It was great and I would be happy if my kids go through school the same way. I do want them to have religion in their lives but I also want them to understand why, what other people believe, how to be respectful of others beliefs etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

It's insane that people still think that the Roman Catholic Church should still be in control of 90% of our schools after decades of facilitating the most horrendous crimes against the children of the nation. Throughout our history, they have done nothing more than impede intellectual progress and stifle our ancestors in an enforced culture of guilt and perpetual misery.

On top of that and as I've said here before, the idea of children being good Catholics is silly. A child cannot be a Catholic in the same way a child can't be a fascist. It's the most objectionable reality that children a force-fed groundless, faith-based, stone-age myths. It won't happen to my children, that's for sure.

Thankyou for illustrating quite nicely just how un-christian the rc church is. If it was truly a christian organisation it would happily give over school buildings etc to the state without question. It won't do that though will it? No it wants it's 40 pieces of silver.

SD

Yes because the church has survived for thousands of years by handing over everything it owns free of charge to encourage the promotion of other religion's and non believers. They are christian, not stupid.

SD

Yes because the church has survived for thousands of years by handing over everything it owns free of charge to encourage the promotion of other religion's and non believers. They are christian, not stupid.

-Translation- The church should not give up its hold on education because to so so would be to relinquish its hold on a very large chunk of its power -

Not very christian that.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

-Translation- The church should not give up its hold on education because to so so would be to relinquish its hold on a very large chunk of its power -

Not very christian that.

SD
    Translation: The church should continue to be involved in education, to withdraw their support and expertise would result in the collapse of the education system.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Translation: The church should continue to be involved in education, to withdraw their support and expertise would result in the collapse of the education system.
    Bull****! If the church wants to be involved in education let them build, staff, and run their schools at their own expense. No school run at the taxpayers expense should be the domain or in the control of any one particular religious grouping.

Bull****! If the church wants to be involved in education let them build, staff, and run their schools at their own expense. No school run at the taxpayers expense should be the domain or in the control of any one particular religious grouping.

They have built, staffed and run their own schools, back when Ireland really did not have a pot to pee in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Explain to me how the education system would collapse? The church's current involvement is essentially to indoctrinate children. By removing the influence, you will make the education system more inclusive so that's hardly gonna result in the downfall of Irish people's education. It would actually free up alot of time to actually educate children instead of spending months preparing for communions and confirmations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

bubblefett wrote: »
    I come from a very religious background but I was sent to a school which didn't do the communions/confirmations as part of class time. If we wanted to do that we did it through our own churches. Great idea IMO.
    Also our RE classes were spent learning about other religions and their differences- very respectful and well done
    It was great and I would be happy if my kids go through school the same way. I do want them to have religion in their lives but I also want them to understand why, what other people believe, how to be respectful of others beliefs etc etc...

Good for you. My religion classes in 5th and 6th year consisted of the schools chaplain yammering on about the evils of abortion and stem cell research.

They have built, staffed and run their own schools, back when Ireland really did not have a pot to pee in.
    Yea, they also built, staffed, and ran Magdelene laundries, Letterfrack, Artane, and numerous other torture camps, are you suggesting they be brought back too?

• Advertisement

If the church wants to build and run private schools, pay their own teachers and get parents of children to pay fees to attend these schools. That is their choice. So long as they adhere to the curriculum laid down by the State and abide by State guidelines.

However, where the State pays the bill, the State calls the tune.

SD

Yea, they also built, staffed, and ran Magdelene laundries, Letterfrack, Artane, and numerous other torture camps, are you suggesting they be brought back too?
    No, we have an adequate prison system now.

If the church wants to build and run private schools, pay their own teachers and get parents of children to pay fees to attend these schools. That is their choice. So long as they adhere to the curriculum laid down by the State and abide by State guidelines.

SD
    Where the state pays all of the bills, the state can then call the tune.

The women in Magdelene laundries had committed no crimes , nor indeed had the orphans placed in many of the other Concentration Camps ran by those scummy bastards that you so glibly defend

Not very christian that.

SD

But why should they give it over to organizations and people who want to get rid of Catholicism. I have no problem with people not wanting to go to catholic schools thats fine. But to say that they have to hand over all/most catholic schools and stop religious teachings in class is just not right. People should have the right to choses weather they want religion in school or not. And aggressive atheists should not be allowed to determine what is and is not thought in catholic schools. They can have their own schools fine but they can butt out of the decision of catholic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The state essentially does pay all of the education system's bills....... The Catholic Church on the other hand have not paid the compensation which they owe....

The women in Magdelene laundries had committed no crimes , nor indeed had the orphans placed in many of the other Concentration Camps ran by those scummy bastards that you so glibly defend
    Some of the women had committed crimes but I understand where you are coming from.

What other options were available for the care of orphans back then?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The state essentially does pay all of the education system's bills....... The Catholic Church on the other hand have not paid the compensation which they owe....
    Who built the schools and staffed them for many years?

When is that bill going to be paid??

SD

The State gets to call the tune irrespective of whether or not all the bills are paid by the State. The church does not have this right.. There is one temporal power in Ireland and it isn't the rc church.

SD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So do you advocate the imprisonment of women who get pregnant outside of marriage, pregnant from rape, are a distraction to 'virtuous' men or ar just a burden on their families.?

• Advertisement

Some of the women had committed crimes but I understand where you are coming from.

Do you mean apart from being raped buggered beaten sodomised and emotionally tortured? I would suggest that any option would probably be better.
    However , to stick to the point in hand, everybody should have the freedom to practise their religion, but that should be a matter for the churches , the states obligation to educate should not include indoctrination in any religion, not just Catholic, but any religion.
    Religion belongs in the church, education free from religious influence belongs in school.

Not very christian that.

SD

But why should they give it over to organizations and people who want to get rid of Catholicism. I have no problem with people not wanting to go to catholic schools thats fine. But to say that they have to hand over all/most catholic schools and stop religious teachings in class is just not right. People should have the right to choses weather they want religion in school or not. And aggressive atheists should not be allowed to determine what is and is not thought in catholic schools. They can have their own schools fine but they can butt out of the decision of catholic ones.

Religion is an entirely private matter and as such State funded institutions should as a matter of course be neutral in terms of religion.

If a parent feels that religion is important they are free to indoctrinate their children outside of school time.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You're using the word 'care' in it's loosest possible sense there.

The State gets to call the tune irrespective of whether or not all the bills are paid by the State. The church does not have this right.. There is one temporal power in Ireland and it isn't the rc church.

SD
    So if thats the case, whats everyone getting all excited about??

Yes theses terrible events did happen. But it was not the entire organization. Does there need to be reform in the church yes. But we don't need to wipe it out because of the actions of some.

Why do you equate having secular schools with 'getting rid of catholicism?
    Is it because the Church knows that if it looses its access to children it will
    (A) Lead to wishy washy a la carte parents not bothering their holes teaching their religion to their kids.
    (B) In most cases be very very difficult to get adults to believe in talking snakes, angels, walking dead and other supernatural stories.

Yes theses terrible events did happen. But it was not the entire organization. Does there need to be reform in the church yes. But we don't need to wipe it out because of the actions of some.
    Who is talking about wiping it out. Removing it from schools is not 'wiping it out'...
    then again.....

You're using the word 'care' in it's loosest possible sense there.

Point taken, but the question still remains.

Religion is an entirely private matter and as such State funded institutions should as a matter of course be neutral in terms of religion.

If a parent feels that religion is important they are free to indoctrinate their children outside of school time.

SD
    And if parents feel religion is a load of nonsense, they are free to get their children educated somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Point taken, but the question still remains.
    Well without the Church lead option coupled with its perverted teaching on sexuality many of these girls may well have still been accepted at home and not be stigmatised.

Advertisement