Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Summer Race Series...(2012)

• 10-04-2012 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

The 18th annual Ger Wyley Sports/Nike summer series in Waterford gets under way on the 13th of April with the 18th Annual Marine Climb 6 mile road race. There is a full programme of races right through the summer months finishing up with the Ardmore 5 on Friday August 17th, where the overall winner for 2012 will be presented with the Micheál O Hogáin memorial Cup. There are 10 individual races in the summer programme and runners can enter on the night.

2012Series_Flyer.jpg

More information can be found at http://munsterrunning.blogspot.com/2012/04/waterfordger-wyley-sports-summer-race.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Heading for 2 of these myself,Touneena and GSK 5.....

Tourneena was my very first 5k and race last year so i will always go back,lovely hill at the start too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

That hill in Touraneena is worth it for the strawberries and ice cream !

dahat wrote: »
    Heading for 2 of these myself,Touneena and GSK 5.....

Tourneena was my very first 5k and race last year so i will always go back,lovely hill at the start too!!

It was a nice welcoming alright but well worth it....

Might just allow myself the Strawberries and cream this year!...hope to have the missus running it this year,her first 5k,hopefully she will stick at it

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

200pixadvert2012.jpg

This is the first race of the Ger Wyley/Nike summer series. Entries for the race will be taken in St. Joseph's primary school, Dungarvan. This is right alongside the church as you drive into the town from the Cork side. Entry fee for the race is 8 euros and is open to all runners over 16 years of age. There is plenty of parking nearby near the start and near the local sports centre.

More info HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

After doing the Marine Climb last night that hill in Touraneena looks a lot easier now!!!

• Advertisement

docjewel wrote: »
    After doing the Marine Climb last night that hill in Touraneena looks a lot easier now!!!

How nasty is that race?have heard it is pretty daunting

How nasty is that race?have heard it is pretty daunting

Like you dahat,Turaneena last year was my first official race(had done one fun run before that).The first 2 1/2 miles were pretty flat & then the fun started, 3 miles r so of uphill climbing of approx 560ft(according to garmin).There was a nice surprise of cups of water at the 4 mile mark which was gladly accepted.The last half mile was a pretty fast downhill curve.Overall it's a pretty challenging course,not helped by the fact I had done an 8 mile run the evening before & only decided on Friday evening to run it,but there was good support along the route,you had people calling out the time at all the mile markers which made it that bit easier.Would I do it again? Definitely,but next time won't be doing a run the evening before!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Looking forward to Number 2 in this race series at least it will flat compared to the climb last week...............

The results of the Marine Climb 6 mile road race can be seen on the West Waterford AC website... http://www.westwaterfordathletics.org/images/pdfs/marine2012.pdf

The second race in the Ger Wyley Sports Summer Series continues on Friday evening with the Butlerstown 10k just to the west of Waterford City.
    map1.jpg
    The race starts at 7pm and the entry fee is €10

More information HERE

• Advertisement

The results of the Butlerstown 10k road race in Waterford can be found on the West Waterford AC website

advert200pix.jpg
    The 3rd race in the Ger Wyley Sports Summer Series is coming up next Saturday, the 5th of May with the Waterford to Tramore 7.5 mile road race.

The race starts in Waterford City at 7pm.

Pre-entry is €10 or €12 on the night.

You can enter online HERE

The race is organised by Waterford AC

More info on the Running in Munster website

Touraneena_Map.JPG
    This 5k road race is coming up in West Waterford on Friday evening, the 1st of June at 8pm.

This is the 5th race of 10 in the Ger Wyley Sports Summer Series.

More info on the race HERE

Organised by West Waterford AC

Ok,Hands Up those who are doing this race just for the strawberries & ice cream !!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anything on in Waterford mid next week, I'm down there for 3 nights?

Ok,Hands Up those who are doing this race just for the strawberries & ice cream !!!!:D

I'll admit to that plus the wife will row in for some too......also if i hit my target time i will have a few extra!

Plus a pint in the pub across the road from the finish, actually what a race, starts outside one pub and finishes across the road from another pub !

I'll admit to that plus the wife will row in for some too......also if i hit my target time i will have a few extra!

dernipper wrote: »
    Plus a pint in the pub across the road from the finish, actually what a race, starts outside one pub and finishes across the road from another pub !

A pint?Jaysus man i am an elite athlete!!pints are forbidden.......

Looking forward to this alot,any idea if the course will be marked in KM'S?

As far as I know, it's in miles.

It was also re-measured during the week so it's spot on.

As far as I know, it's in miles.

It was also re-measured during the week so it's spot on.

Pity it is not in KM's....ah well. that is my biggest gripe about races,KM races should be marked in KM but it won't stop me coming.

• Advertisement

Very important to rehydrate post run ! A nice pint of stout followed by strawberries and ice cream has been the tried and trusted approach for this race !

A pint?Jaysus man i am an elite athlete!!pints are forbidden.......

Looking forward to this alot,any idea if the course will be marked in KM'S?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anything on in Waterford mid next week, I'm down there for 3 nights?

R u in Waterford city or county? If county suggest looking at the west Waterford running club website, suspect that the answer could be no but perhaps not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

R u in Waterford city or county? If county suggest looking at the west Waterford running club website, suspect that the answer could be no but perhaps not

City - but I'm always to a bit of sight seeing ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    - but I'm always to a bit of sight seeing ;)

The only thing that appears to be on is the Fit For Runing League on Tuesday night in The Friary,Dungarvan (think it starts at 7pm)

Just back,messy start but great night,course was marked in KM too,well pleased...
    Reckon i got under my target of 23.30,timed myself at 23.16 :D:D:D

Start is a bit narrow alright but was still a good night for racing,official results are up now on the WWAC website(on mobile so can't link it),got in @ 22:15 myself,a lot better than I thought as I'm concentrating on the marathon.

Also well done to everyone from my local mini-league who ran their first official race tonight,keep up the good work.

And before anyone asks,yes the strawberries & ice-cream was delicious afterwards.

Start is a bit narrow alright but was still a good night for racing,official results are up now on the WWAC website(on mobile so can't link it),got in @ 22:15 myself,a lot better than I thought as I'm concentrating on the marathon.

Also well done to everyone from my local mini-league who ran their first official race tonight,keep up the good work.

And before anyone asks,yes the strawberries & ice-cream was delicious afterwards.

Race Results

Was actually yapping away when the gun went off,more my fault than the organisers but a mega phone may have been usefull......

Race Results

Was actually yapping away when the gun went off,more my fault than the organisers but a mega phone may have been usefull......

Agree with you there,majority of people seemed to be yapping & the gun caught the vast majority on the hop especially as there was some kids & adults coming through the back of the race group from the walk.

Start was very poor this year for some reason, they changed the route for the walkers which meant they were finishing as the run was due to start, everyone got caught out with that start, was a bit chaotic at the front with everyone wondering if if that was the official start to the race ! Good evening though and otherwise well organised

uote=dahat;78991297]

Race Results

Was actually yapping away when the gun went off,more my fault than the organisers but a mega phone may have been usefull......[/Quote]

• Advertisement

Next stop the GSK 5 mile for me.........

Advertisement