Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Score Keeping @ 5-a-side

• 10-04-2012 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Starts an argument every week, anyone have any ideas for keeping score? short of bringing an abacus or something! havn't tried anything and im fresh out of ideas!

mod note:if this isnt the right place to post please move

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Add the goals up in your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nominate a player that is as or more intelligent than a 6 year old to keep score.

Failing that, write the score on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One person from each team keeps count generally works the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

never tried writing on the wall but cud try using a stick of chalk. and everybody gets mixed up (cheats!) when keeping score in our heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is it that important?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Ahh I remember the good aul days when we used to play football all morning, break for lunch, play again, break for dinner and play again until bed.

Used to have crazy scores like 86 - 78.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

efb wrote: »
    Is it that important?

Not really... because with 2 minutes to go in the hour someone will say the immortal words, "next goal wins" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not really because with 2 minutes to go in the hour someone will say the immortal words, "next goal wins" :)

His team's losing. There's the solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Your goals score double if you only field 3 players or if your designated keeper scores directly from the sideline.
    Most importantly, it's always a goal if the ball touches the jumper goalposts.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

We never keep score. First team to score are one up. If they score again their 2 up. Other team pulls one back first team are back to one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

OldGoat wrote: »

Well that one is just simply ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

efb wrote: »
    Is it that important?

Yes. No point in playing if you're not trying to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Naos wrote: »
    Ahh I remember the good aul days when we used to play football all morning, break for lunch, play again, break for dinner and play again until bed.

That was 83-83 and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Packs of wine gums, score and you eat one from the other sides pack.
    That's how it was done in school (the sweets varied).
    It has to be the other sides pack, otherwise you would just get to eat sweets and win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

multi ball extra time FTW!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

slaughter a virgin and put their entrails behind the goal.

at end of the game count op the entrails.

Might be better with hearts though. entrails could be cut to give 2 instead of one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

ken wrote: »
    We never keep score. First team to score are one up. If they score again their 2 up. Other team pulls one back first team are back to one up.

That's the way to do it and if it's pretty close when time is nearly up (maybe one goal in it) the cry usually goes up of "First to 3 and it's over!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, my team have this issue too because we usually score 50-60 times during a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

kfallon wrote: »
    That's the way to do it and if it's pretty close when time is nearly up (maybe one goal in it) the cry usually goes up of "First to 3 and it's over!!"

That's how we play it too. I don't usually pay attention to the score but if I ask and someone says we are 5 or 6 down then it's time to play... fo' realz :p

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

If it was 5-a-side in hurling or rugby or something I'd be thinking "fair enough that might be hard to keep track of", but soccer? How hard can that be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Isn't there always one guy who takes it way too seriously who keeps the score in his head and can always be relied on for the score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

jaykay74 wrote: »
    That was 83-83 and you know it.

Next goal winner, no aces?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nominate someone on each team to break a finger each time ye score.

End of the match, count the broken fingers.

ye we do that too but ya get one lad shouting "2 up" and the others shouting "all square!!" gets ridiculous some weeks! "5 up" "no its only 1 ya" etc :rolleyes:

wud like to keep actual scores aswel like 15-12 rather than the whole 2/3 up etc

friend of mine said bring 2 buckets and when ya score put sumtin in the bucket (bunch of keys, bottle of water)....but thats just hassle!

Isn't there always one guy who takes it way too seriously who keeps the score in his head and can always be relied on for the score?

no. id end up bein nominated for it, drift off and then be ate out of it wen i guess and its clearly wrong!

eeeh we're 2 up????:eek:

watermark wrote: »
    friend of mine said bring 2 buckets and when ya score put sumtin in the bucket (bunch of keys, bottle of water)....but thats just hassle!

How much stuff you planning on bringing to a game of 5 a side :eek:

You'd end up with both teams in the nip cos you'd have to be throwing your gear into the bucket at some point with all the goals flying in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Yup, and he's the same guy who constantly berates someone for not creasing the player with the ball in a corner when you'd rather just let them out of the corner to get the game flowing. He's also the guy who attempts sliding tackles on indoor floors. Muppet.

How much stuff you planning on bringing to a game of 5 a side :eek:

You'd end up with both teams in the nip cos you'd have to be throwing your gear into the bucket at some point with all the goals flying in!

well ud have 10 bunches of car keys, maybe the same wit bottles of luco/water and a few tops or hats dependin on weather but f#k that, im not bringing a bucket to soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

just get one person on each team as nominated score keepers. After each goal they agree the score.

Its not really difficult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Naos wrote: »

And then when it's just about to end you all say next goal wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

OldGoat wrote: »

The celtic tiger left us with proper goalposts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

we play first to 5 then its a new game. team that wins the most games wins

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That's me :p I'm usually in goal though so makes it easier.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That's me :p I'm usually in goal though so makes it easier.

Jaysus how could you play 5 a side and spend the majority of time in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

we play first to 5 then its a new game. team that wins the most games wins

So, you think the easiest way to keep score, is to keep two scores?

• Advertisement

Jaysus how could you play 5 a side and spend the majority of time in goal?
    I like playing in goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Nominate the hungover guy to keep score, and watch his face contort with each mounting calculation.

I like playing in goal?

But you have to get out and try bang a few in the net!!! :D

But you have to get out and try bang a few in the net!!! :D
    Fly keeper :D

Fly keeper :D

That's the spirit, shooting from your own half just like me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Shout out the score after every goal

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Special Agent Oso

I know im only new onto boards and everything and people are probably just having a laugh at this stage with their answers on this trend but is the OP taking the piss or what? Looking for ideas to help him keep score in 5 a side footie? Seriously?

Advertisement