Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour with uncontrolled dog

• 10-04-2012 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on how to handle a neighbour who has no control over his dog. He is a young man (23), with a one year old daughter. His parents gave him a german shepard for his birthday last year. Dog is approaching 6 months old and is going totally demented in the back garden. Garden is about 5 m square.

Walking the dog is opening the front gate once a day and letting the dog run up and down the housing estate. The dog is jumping up on people and is quite big now, so knocks them over. The other neighbours pull their kids in from the grassy play area now when they see this fella out.

Dog barks all night long, poor thing.

I love dogs, don't have one at the moment as I don't have time to look after them with work. This one is scaring the heck out of me though. No exercise, locked on his own in the back garden all day long. He is going to crack up.

I called the dog warden and asked what to do, they said I can make a complaint, but I have to give my name and take the guy to court myself. I do not want to antagonise this neighbour as he has a violent criminal record and we want to remain on good terms with them.

What are my other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

You could report him for animal neglect. Sorry, but I don't know where or how to do it.

Dog wardens don't care about the welfare of dogs I find, they just care about hassling dog owners and making money for the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats terrible - and its even worse for you because on top of everything else you feel sorry for the poor dog - I would be the exact same and would be going round really upset for the dog.

I dont know what you can do though, what do other neighbours think? Would any of them make a noise complaint? Or could you all do a group complaint (so to speak). You should not have to give your name to the dog warden about a noise complaint, thats wrong.

You could try ringing the ISPCA - you can report anonymously there but if the dog is being fed, watered etc I dont think they can do anything. You could ask the guards advice maybe ......there is also the government animal cruelty phone line http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056570768 - - but again not sure they can do anything. Its a disgrace, a dog being locked outside all day and night in a small area should be classified as neglect by law, but its not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Everytime the dog is out loose ring the warden and tell him there is a gsd running loose uncontrollably without a muzzle. It's idiots like this that give these beautiful intelligent dogs a bad name. Wonder would it be any use ringing your local Garda station too considering he's a hazard both to pedestrians and traffic. Keep at them anyways until something is done, hopefully the 'owner' might sign him over if he keeps getting hassled by the warden. That's no life for any dog nevermind an intelligent gsd who crave attention and interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks v much for the suggestions.

Yes, had chats with the other neighbours... they seemed to want a volunteer to chuck poisoned meat over the wall. It's not the dogs fault he is being treated so badly. Besides, it's a big dog, it probably wouldn't even work and the poor thing would be awfully sick for ages. Big Fat No to the neighbours way of dealing with this.

The dog warden was no use Zapperzy. They wanted my name and phone number before I said I word. Then they call my neighbour and tell them I complained them. Where does that get me... nowhere.

Hadn't considered the ISPCA. I called them and they tell me that the vets department of the local council deals with uncontrolled dogs. So I'll give them a go next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paddy crazy horse

I would get back in touch with the dog warden as it is not your responsibility to take the owner to court.If the owner is letting the dog out to run around the estate, which is a public place it is against the law. under the control of dogs Act, no dog is allowed to roam in a public place, they should be on a leash. Also the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 state that specific breeds of dogs which includes German Shepherds or any strain or cross of them MUST be kept on a strong, short leash AND muzzled at all times in public even if the dog is not aggressive. i would point this out to the dog warden. if that doesnt work contact your local county council and ISPCA or DSPCA etc. I had a similar problem and the dog was only a little terrier and was allowed roam free.One day he attacked my dog and then bit me on the leg. I told the owner that their dog should not be out in public without a leash and if she didnt control her dog in future i would contact the dog warden. She always keep the dog on a leash now!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Everytime the dog is out loose ring the warden and tell him there is a gsd running loose uncontrollably without a muzzle. It's idiots like this that give these beautiful intelligent dogs a bad name. Wonder would it be any use ringing your local Garda station too considering he's a hazard both to pedestrians and traffic. Keep at them anyways until something is done, hopefully the 'owner' might sign him over if he keeps getting hassled by the warden. That's no life for any dog nevermind an intelligent gsd who crave attention and interaction.
    Agree, it is a desperately sad situation for such a loyal and obedient dog. This definitely sounds like something that the ISPCA should be informed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 purejuice

I have a neighbour exactly the same has a gsd around 6 months old, poor dog is in the garden from 8am till 10pm, no food no water and just sits there by the back door waiting for someone to come out to him, I have dogs myself and he is always barking when my dogs get let out and can now stand up against the wall and look over. It breaks my heart to see him out there in the rain. I am going to ring the local council tomorrow and put in a compliant as some people shouldnt have dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

pwurple wrote: »
    The dog warden was no use Zapperzy. They wanted my name and phone number before I said I word. Then they call my neighbour and tell them I complained them. Where does that get me... nowhere.

Is that to report a barking dog or a roaming dog? Didn't think you had to leave a name to report a roaming dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I'd leave the dog warden out of it, and download a "how to" video, and burn it onto a DVD, then just approach the chap and say "Your Dog is lovely, (compliments, compliments)", "but I noticed he isn't well trained yet, by the way he jumps on people, so I thought I'd give you this as a Present, and get your opinion on it."

What harm would it be to strike up a conversation, and talk to the guy on his terms, instead of calling the warden, having the dog removed to a pound, before it can be re-homed, or more likely, that guy gets a fine, and starts hating you !! Think about it, a guy with an untrained GSD with a grudge against you, not smart!

Anyways, if the video doesn't show him what he's doing wrong, write a few website address on the insleeve.

best of luck with the dog,

Vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Vince32 wrote: »
    I'd leave the dog warden out of it, and download a "how to" video, and burn it onto a DVD, then just approach the chap and say "Your Dog is lovely, (compliments, compliments)", "but I noticed he isn't well trained yet, by the way he jumps on people, so I thought I'd give you this as a Present, and get your opinion on it."

What harm would it be to strike up a conversation, and talk to the guy on his terms, instead of calling the warden, having the dog removed to a pound, before it can be re-homed, or more likely, that guy gets a fine, and starts hating you !! Think about it, a guy with an untrained GSD with a grudge against you, not smart!

Anyways, if the video doesn't show him what he's doing wrong, write a few website address on the insleeve.

best of luck with the dog,

Vince

Probably one of the best pieces of advice or suggestions I have seen on any topic on Boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks v much for the suggestions.

Yes, had chats with the other neighbours... they seemed to want a volunteer to chuck poisoned meat over the wall. It's not the dogs fault he is being treated so badly. Besides, it's a big dog, it probably wouldn't even work and the poor thing would be awfully sick for ages. Big Fat No to the neighbours way of dealing with this.

!

A horrible prolonged death for sure and totally illegal too

Advertisement