Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calf with severe acidosis

• 10-04-2012 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

folks have a calf that has bad acidosis after a bad run of scour. he has received 2 bicarb infusiuons and he gets gel lyte or effydral when he sucks to try and get the stomach going right, he just doesnt seem to be coming out of it, very lethargic, only suck a very small bit. anyone ever have this problem and did the calf come right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bmccaff

Sound like a problem we had with a calf for almost 2 weeks after he was treated for an ecoli scour which nearly killed him.
    Threw half a bottle of milk of magnesium (250ml bottle) into him one day, the other half the following day.
    Could'nt catch him on the 3rd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

As suggested above magnesium is a good help. all vets will have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

thanks lads, worth a shot anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is it that they take on alot of milk after the scour clears up that gives them acidosis?

Muckit wrote: »
    Is it that they take on alot of milk after the scour clears up that gives them acidosis?

possibly but dont think so in this case, vet said the fact that he had scour for long messed up his stomach ph

• Advertisement

possibly but dont think so in this case, vet said the fact that he had scour for long messed up his stomach ph

I would be getting some yeast into the stomach ASAP. Bit of the missus baking yeast would will work a treat.

I would be getting some yeast into the stomach ASAP. Bit of the missus baking yeast would will work a treat.

well have been giving him a spoon on bread soda with his gel lyte in the last day or two right or wrong

well have been giving him a spoon on bread soda with his gel lyte in the last day or two right or wrong

yip okay, but how is his dung now?

saw it this morning now, it was fairly loose, and somewhere in between green and brown in color, in the last few days it was that white ish pasty stuff you might expect with acidosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Isn't natural yoghurt supposed to be good as well for getting the stomach back on track?

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Isn't natural yoghurt supposed to be good as well for getting the stomach back on track?

yep, he has gotten some of that as well along the way, just looking at him on camera now and he is up and moving about his pen so he is alot better than he was i guess, just seems like a very slow recovery, i suppose i would be happier if his appetite improved, outside of the first 5 or 6 days of his life he has been sick he he has a tough old run of it, trying to keep him going but sometimes i wonder if he is ever going to come right

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Some multivitamin injections or duphalyte solution may help too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

i think he is coming around, his appearence is better this evening, he is lying down correctly and holding his head up as opposed to being just be thrown over almost, he still looks a bit miserable when standing so will see what tomorrow brings

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

The sudden change in the weather has seen calves in the best of houses get a chill. They were born in near-Summer conditions, now gets well below at night. Chills have brought on scours ans runny noses in some of mine. Blooming nuisance.
    Make sure they are warm enough, that is major concern atm.
    Hope he improves, V

just to update
    the milk of magnesia seems to have helped anyway, calf seems alot livlier and appearence and appetite are returning to normal, i dont want to jinx it but he looks like he is coming around

Advertisement