Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAL Ps3 60gig - NTSC PS2 loader ?

• 10-04-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I picked up a 60gig Phat PS3 at the weekend, and confirmed backwards compatibility is working. My main reason for the PS3 60gig, was literally for the PS2 support, but also because my padhacks for my candy cabinet work for PS3. Its now got me thinking, is it possible to run NTSC PS2 games on this PS3 ? the current firmware is 2.80. I'd also like to change the HD to an SSD drive.

So my question is - what can I do with a PS3 60gig on firmware 2.8 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ondafly wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I picked up a 60gig Phat PS3 at the weekend, and confirmed backwards compatibility is working. My main reason for the PS3 60gig, was literally for the PS2 support, but also because my padhacks for my candy cabinet work for PS3. Its now got me thinking, is it possible to run NTSC PS2 games on this PS3 ? the current firmware is 2.80. I'd also like to change the HD to an SSD drive.

So my question is - what can I do with a PS3 60gig on firmware 2.8 ?

Don't install anything past 3.55 firmware if you plan on modding it anyway. PS2 Games are indeed region locked, & to my knowledge, Custom Firmware 3.55 cannot play different region PS 1 & 2 games.

My advice to you is if you wanna use it in your cab? Install Kmeaw 3.55 CFW & buy yourself a nice set of internal & external hdd's ;)

As for SSD - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-ps3-ssd-upgrade-loading,11811.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

any chance a swap magic disk would work for playing NTSC PS2 games via the Ps3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

ondafly wrote: »
    any chance a swap magic disk would work for playing NTSC PS2 games via the Ps3 ?

My thoughts would be no. Seeing as you have to press eject to get the Swap Magic disc out of a PS3 to insert a backup, the system would probably reset itself like a PS2 would without the sensors covered.

I can try when I get home but, I doubt it'll work.

@EnterNow: I thought MultiMans PS1 backup loader was region free but again, I've never tried it. Is it still 100% region locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Relikk wrote: »
    @EnterNow: I thought MultiMans PS1 backup loader was region free but again, I've never tried it. Is it still 100% region locked?

Actually it could be, tbh I'm not entirely sure. Fairly sure PS2 stuff remains locked tho

Advertisement