Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing account information to a 3rd party.

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been a loyal BOI customer for over 10 years with a BOI current account, business account, mortgage, life insurance, and credit card.

I recently closed my business account with you as the business has ceased trading. Today I recieved a confirmation letter from a 3rd party (mobile phone company) confirming a direct debit mandate on my current account. I rang the 3rd party to ask them how they recieved my current account details as I definately did not give it to them, and was concerned with the privacy of my information. They informed that my bank had forwarded the request on my behalf.

I understand that BOI have most likely done this with the good intentions of making the ceasation of an account as painless as possible, but I am concerned that you would not only pass on account information without my knowledge, but allow them to withdraw money from that account. I think it would be prudent to atleast ring me (as my cesation latter stated) if there were any questions regarding direct debit/standing orders.

It is my understanding that a direct debit mandate allows a company to withdraw money ONLY from the bank account you allow them to.

Is it common practice to pass on the private information of a different account to a 3rd party without the customers knowledge? Or was this an oversight?
    As I did not wish for this to happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi lukemdunne,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have checked into this with a few of our departments and there are a number of options for managing direct debits when closing a business account.

I would like to have this investigated further for you. Can you PM me your contact details and the location of the branch which held the business account so I can get this looked into on your behalf.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement