Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Repair - 1955 longines watch

Options
  • 10-04-2012 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I need to get my grandfathers watch repaired if possible. It was presented to him on his retirement in 1955 - its a Longines watch. There is a problem with the winding mechanism but any jeweler I bring it to says they can't get parts for it. Anybody able to suggest anyone in Ireland who might be able to repair it. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm pretty sure this place comes well recommended by a few members here:
    http://www.watchrepairs.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As far as I know Eoin they don't do vintage stuff, which is a shame because I got me a Heuer chrono in need of TLC(even have the parts..) :(

finianj09, if it's a 50's Longines the parts can be found. It may take time on ebay and the like, but not impossible. Not by a long shot. They had a very high output at the time and most models used only a few movements, so unless yours is a real oddball like one of their chronos it should be easy enough. I've had a few 50's Longines pass through my collecting hands over the years and have a couple as keepers so have some idea on that make in particular. Parts? Put it this way, recently one of my very early Longines from 1910-12 had a worn out winding stem and I was able to get a brand new one on the first page of ebay I searched. Oh and it cost a fiver.

Do you have any idea or were you told what's wrong with it and what parts it needs?

Any chance of posting pics? If you had a picture of the movement I'd be shocked if I couldnt have a bash at finding the parts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

Wibbs wrote: »
    Do you have any idea or were you told what's wrong with it and what parts it needs?

Any chance of posting pics? If you had a picture of the movement I'd be shocked if I couldnt have a bash at finding the parts.

Ah that's why I love this little forum of ours :D Fair play W!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

google michael swift horoligst, he has done work for me, he went as far as to make a watch part, also he does not sell or buy timepieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have a look at these guys..in the UK

http://www.chealwatch.com/longines.htm

I guy I deal with for Tag Watches uses them to repair all his stuff

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm going to be sending a watch to that chap soon. He comes as highly regarded from any mention I've read of him. That rare thing of an old fashioned craftsman at old fashioned prices. He's beyond reasonable. Someone to support IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement