Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a bit of help. Im an iOS man and haven’t a clue about android or windows based phones being honest. I do know that most people that know anything about phones tend to have Android phones so thats telling in itself

Im looking to help my father choose his next upgrade and the Iphone isn’t in the list so I need to help him find the best one from the list below.

He uses the camera quite a bit for recording accident damage etc so a decent camera is a must. Something with a reasonable battery life is also required as he is on the phone quite a bit. Price is not important and its with Vodafone.

Useful things like GPS, 3g, Wifi would also be great but most phones have these as standard now.

So what im asking is if it was your money which would you buy:

HTC:
    Desire S
    Explorer
    Wildfire S
    Sensation
    Radar
    Titan

Nokia:
    Lumina 800

Samsung
    Galaxy Ace
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy S Plus
    Galaxy S2
    Galaxy Y

Sony Ericsson
    Experia Arc

Which Phone 14 votes

HTC Desire S
    0% 0 votes
    HTC Explorer
    7% 1 vote
    HTC Wildfire S
    0% 0 votes
    HTC Sensation
    0% 0 votes
    HTC Radar
    7% 1 vote
    HTC Titan
    7% 1 vote
    Nokia Lumina 800
    7% 1 vote
    Samsung Galaxy Ace
    21% 3 votes
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    0% 0 votes
    Samsung Galaxy S Plus
    14% 2 votes
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    0% 0 votes
    Samsung Galaxy Y
    35% 5 votes
    Sony Experia Arc
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Since cost is no issue you can already eliminate the budget devices and cut the list down to the following options:

HTC:
    Sensation
    Radar

Nokia:
    Lumina 800

Samsung
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy S2

Of those I have experience with all except the HTC Radar and to be perfectly honest they're all excellent devices that will do what your father wants easily, the only way to really choose would be on personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

How does the Lumina Stack up against the andriods? He likes Nokias, but thats only because thats all hes had as a phone. Ive also had to break the news to him that buttons on phones are gone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cronin_j wrote: »
    How does the Lumina Stack up against the andriods? He likes Nokias, but thats only because thats all hes had as a phone. Ive also had to break the news to him that buttons on phones are gone:D

It's pretty good, its fast, slick and nice to use, if he wants a phone just for telephony stuff + the camera then its the best no nonsense option.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

I have an Android phone but I'd recommend a Windows Phone because it's simpler than Android. So any of the windows phone. There all pretty much the same except for camera and screen size. So the Titan is a really big phone. Nokia is slightly bigger than the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I think it depends on how good your father may be at technology also. My Dad was sold into a Samsung Galaxy S but it was too techy for his needs (he has memory issues having suffered a stroke) and the phone is too much for him.

Will he use the internet much? Does he need to access emails? If not, maybe go for a more basic phone and there are phones with buttons out there (if he searches hard enough!!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

cronin_j wrote: »
    Im looking for a bit of help. Im an iOS man and haven’t a clue about android or windows based phones being honest. I do know that most people that know anything about phones tend to have Android phones so thats telling in itself

Im looking to help my father choose his next upgrade and the Iphone isn’t in the list so I need to help him find the best one from the list below.

He uses the camera quite a bit for recording accident damage etc so a decent camera is a must. Something with a reasonable battery life is also required as he is on the phone quite a bit. Price is not important and its with Vodafone.

Useful things like GPS, 3g, Wifi would also be great but most phones have these as standard now.

So what im asking is if it was your money which would you buy:

HTC:
    Desire S
    Explorer
    Wildfire S
    Sensation
    Radar
    Titan

Nokia:
    Lumina 800

Samsung
    Galaxy Ace
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy S Plus
    Galaxy S2
    Galaxy Y

Sony Ericsson
    Experia Arc

i'd reccomend windows phone for ease of use, but android has all the apps and is better for internet browsing. htc rader (wp7) or htc sensation (ics update) imo. you could wait for wp8 to come out as there will probably be deals on wp7 devices and wp8 devices will be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Vahevala wrote: »
    I think it depends on how good your father may be at technology also. My Dad was sold into a Samsung Galaxy S but it was too techy for his needs (he has memory issues having suffered a stroke) and the phone is too much for him.

Will he use the internet much? Does he need to access emails? If not, maybe go for a more basic phone and there are phones with buttons out there (if he searches hard enough!!) :)

He wouldnt be massively techy however he is one hell of a quick learner so in essence it wouldnt be a problem. I suppose its more that alot of the phones would have things that would have no interest to him.

I couldnt imagine him playing angry birds now or anything like that. He would use the email feature and again the camera being decent would be a requirement for taking quick pictures on the go with work.

Advertisement