Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sitting Outside Library?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

So apparently there's no more sitting on the floor outside the library. It's a health and safety violation. But there's no concern over the 10 stands they have littered all over the floor to tell us this?! Also, how long do you reckon the woman in the high vis jacket will last standing there? They can hardly have the place guarded forever....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Probably in case anyone bursts into flame while they're sitting eating a sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

I think its more to do with staff not being able to access the lift/get to their offices in the area. Cant imagine it lasting long though, will prob be forgotten again in September...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Its ****ing ridiculous. A woman in a hi-vis jacket standing there with a walkie-talkie. No money to buy books though. Health and safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

It would be one thing if people are blocking the stairs or exits. This is just ffs territory (I can imagine how crowded it is going to be downstairs and in front of the library in a few weeks' time.. almost, one could say, crowded enough to be a health and safety issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I never ever understood why people sat there in the first place. It must be damn uncomfortable and noisy during busy periods. Given the entire size of UCD, I never will understand why hordes of people flock there to sit down. I've seen groups of 10 or more there at 8.20 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

It's warm and it is comfortable and it's not like I'd sit there to write an essay, so noise isn't exactly an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ironclaw wrote: »
    I never ever understood why people sat there in the first place. It must be damn uncomfortable and noisy during busy periods. Given the entire size of UCD, I never will understand why hordes of people flock there to sit down. I've seen groups of 10 or more there at 8.20 in the morning.

That's just waiting to get in at 8.30, not really the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Wasn't this in the College TURBINE and not the College TRIBUNE?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Nope, it's true.
    The thing I find most hilarious is that the 9 metal poles with signs on them are much more a health & safety hazard than people sitting out of the way of any stairway/exit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Well then it will become as laughable as the no smoking sign outside Newman then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It wont last. According to the signs the covered area outside Newman is also a non-smoking zone. Another shining example of well-enforced rules in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I am genuinely curious as to how they're going to enforce this at the weekends coming up to exams.Arts is closed and there's only so much seating downstairs..

We should stage a sit-in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The woman in the hi-vis vest should be positioned outside Newman to tell all those filthy smokers to fcuk off away from the doors!

She has a clicker....... I'm so curious as to what she's counting... presumably people but whyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

kkumk wrote: »
    She has a clicker....... I'm so curious as to what she's counting... presumably people but whyyyy

Ask her!

kkumk wrote: »

A new car built by a company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field (using the clicker to count this), A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.

The woman in the hi-vis vest should be positioned outside Newman to tell all those filthy smokers to fcuk off away from the doors!

Awwww boooohoooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

The no smoking signs outside Newman are only at the entrances into the building and cafe, I've always assumed them to mean people shouldn't smoke at the doors. I don't think they apply to that whole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Muir wrote: »
    The no smoking signs outside Newman are only at the entrances into the building and cafe, I've always assumed them to mean people shouldn't smoke at the doors. I don't think they apply to that whole area.

They do smoke at the doors anyway. And, with regards that whole area, according to the smoking ban legislation it is illegal to smoke there as it's covered (i.e. the roof) and has walls on three sides. I've emailed UCD before asking for clarification on the issue but heard nothing back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anybody up for a sit-down protest tomorrow... with placards saying " We'll sit were we like! " and " Down with this sort of thing"?

Of course, we'll get somebody who comes along with a mispelt sign saying **** instead of sit, and we'll all laugh at them.

They do smoke at the doors anyway. And, with regards that whole area, according to the smoking ban legislation it is illegal to smoke there as it's covered (i.e. the roof) and has walls on three sides. I've emailed UCD before asking for clarification on the issue but heard nothing back.

Walls, schmalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

" We'll sit were we like! "

Of course, we'll get somebody who comes along with a mispelt sign ... and we'll all laugh at them.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

The college should be tackling the general problem of a lack of seating areas in the Newman building in general rather than bitching about where people have turned to as a result.

Amen, Meow Meow!

:pac:

I won't be responsible for making the signs... or be held accountable for an irony defect.
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    The college should be tackling the general problem of a lack of seating areas in the Newman building in general rather than bitching about where people have turned to as a result.

Absolutely. Serious lack of places to take a load off in the building. Which is silly, of course, considering the amount of people that use it and the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

I never liked that people sit there so I welcome this. But someone in high-vis jacket guarding it is way over the top.

jan shyr wrote: »
    I never liked that people sit there so I welcome this. But someone in high-vis jacket guarding it is way over the top.

What was your issue with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

jan shyr wrote: »

Signs alone wouldnt stop anyone from sitting there tbf, you'd need someone there to jump on people who would sit down. Never had any problem with it myself though, its probably one of the busiest area on campus but has hardly any breakout space at all. Perhaps an idea would be to place some seating around the walls, using up the space while at the same time limiting the number of people that can sit around...would also mean that some poor person didnt have to stand around there all day long :pac:

Advertisement