Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sitting Outside Library?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    The college should be tackling the general problem of a lack of seating areas in the Newman building in general rather than bitching about where people have turned to as a result.

Don't be silly, UCD doing something to help people, perish the thought. I'm convinced UCD administration/services exists solely to annoy the student population as much as is humanly possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Don't be silly, UCD doing something to help people, perish the thought. I'm convinced UCD administration/services exists solely to annoy the student population as much as is humanly possible.

It really is outrageous that there is a courtyard in the Newman building that has no covered seating. The whole area there should be covered seating. Also, the stone area between Tierney and Newman should be cleared of trees to make way for outdoor covered seating too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It really is outrageous that there is a courtyard in the Newman building that has no covered seating. The whole area there should be covered seating. Also, the stone area between Tierney and Newman should be cleared of trees to make way for outdoor covered seating too.

That's a great idea. Most of the year it's warm enough to sit outside in Ireland if it wasn't for the rain. Covered seating would solve that problem straight away.

That's a great idea. Most of the year it's warm enough to sit outside in Ireland if it wasn't for the rain. Covered seating would solve that problem straight away.

I just want to sit down outside and not get wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

So I had it out with a librocop over it the other day.

You can complain about it here - http://www.ucd.ie/library/forms/library_suggestions_form/

The response I got back was gas.

• Advertisement

Dear Sir/Madam, I am commenting re the erection of signage outside of the entrance to the James Joyce library preventing students from sitting down while waiting on people/taking a break.

While it is outlined on the signs that this is due to health and safety concerns I really don't understand the logic or reasoning behind this as was explained to me by the librarian on duty, primarily as level one of the library is not a quiet zone, librarians converse with each other and with students.

Furthermore where is it proposed for students to take breaks from study, especially on days where no other buildings are open such as Sundays or the upcoming Bank Holiday Monday? We can't eat in the library, seating in the Student's Union area downstairs is incredibly limited, while sitting outside by the lake can only be done under favourable weather conditions.

Why was it necessary to position staff outside the library in hi-vis jackets moving people, when the library is subject to such drastic cut backs?

Finally, while removing me from the area, I felt the attitude of the member of security staff to be very unprofessional and condescending, which quite frankly is unacceptable.

I look forward to your response, Yours, *doug89*, Undergraduate, 12/4/12

Dear *doug89*, Thank you for your enquiry.

The main problem that we have in this area is that it is essentially a corridor not a seating area. From this lobby there are two staircases, two lift lobbies, the library entrance, the tunnel, the staff exit and the disability unit corridor. During busy periods approx 1300-1500 people pass through the lobby per hour and we have to ensure that they can move around safely and without any danger of falling over, tripping etc.Our remit is to keep everyone safe and this includes disabled people who may be in wheelchairs or have sight impairments.

The volume of students now sitting on the floor has become untenable. It has also become the norm for students to sit in front of lift doors, access doors, fire doors etc. This is not allowed anywhere on campus. I think most people in any public space such as a shopping centre would realise not to sit in front of such areas and yet for some reason students are doing it in the lobby all the time.

The secondary problem is noise. The noise has been monitored and has reached unacceptable levels for staff having to work on Level 1. The acoustics of the area do not help the situation but the noise is not only very difficult at the admissions desk but travels into people’s offices.Some students do not moderate their voices and even shout or call to one another in very loud ways.

We have re directed staff to this project as we feel that it cannot continue but other work is suffering.We take this very seriously, we have a duty of care to ensure that the University is safe and that access is easy for all users.

Lastly I do appreciate the need for students to have spaces to relax and converse and we have fed this back to University. There is a shortage of break out spaces and this has been discussed.

I apologise if any member of staff did not deal with you respectfully - we aim at all times to be helpful

Kindest regards, *********, Library Services Officer, 12/4/12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Completely reasonable response in my book. It is a corridor, not a meeting area. While the method employed to move students is probably not the best, it's certainly more than justifiable. It's like people having the chats in the middle of thoroughfares in the likes of Dundrum Shopping Centre etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Doug89 wrote: »

Furthermore where is it proposed for students to take breaks from study, especially on days where no other buildings are open such as Sundays or the upcoming Bank Holiday Monday? We can't eat in the library, seating in the Student's Union area downstairs is incredibly limited, while sitting outside by the lake can only be done under favourable weather conditions.

5th floor of library building can be used as well, although you have to keep the noise down when there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

The response I got back was gas.

If by "gas" you mean completely reasonable, helpful, respectful and informative. Fair play to Monica Glynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

If by "gas" you mean completely reasonable, helpful, respectful and informative. Fair play to Monica Glynn.

Indeed.

Also it is quite unfair of the poster to include her name. He wasn't so quick to leave his own name unredacted. I wonder did he ask permission to post it on a public forum?

• Advertisement

My name's Laura.

It's already on in the public domain - http://ucdlib-suggestions.blogspot.com as posted by UCD Library.

I say gas due to the fact that, in my opinion, this whole thing just smacks of UCD not really caring about students. Why handle it like this? Why not try ANYTHING else first? Why not try and work with students as opposed to against them? We're not children.

Why not put in a limited number of benches and bins, alongside signs asking for noise to be kept at a reasonable level, similarly to the 5th floor as mentioned above?

It just galls me that right now, when the most students are using the library coming up to the exams, there's nowhere to take a bloody break. I was in JJ yesterday evening, took a break around 7pm, not a single seat down by the SU shop, every other building closed.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Indeed.

Also it is quite unfair of the poster to include her name. He wasn't so quick to leave his own name unredacted. I wonder did he ask permission to post it on a public forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Why not put in a limited number of benches and bins, alongside signs asking for noise to be kept at a reasonable level, similarly to the 5th floor as mentioned above?

It's actually a pretty decent place to put a bench too. Unless UCD can't afford those either. People in hi-vis jackets are apparently cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

A bench would actually solve the problem, stopping whole groups of people from trying to squeeze into the area and blocking doors/lifts etc. Nobody wants to sit on the floor staring at their friends knees... (Citation Needed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

NO.

I notice today that everyone's just sitting on the ground on the SU level.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

I notice today that everyone's just sitting on the ground on the SU level.

When the rest of campus is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

stop wrote: »
    When the rest of campus is available?

Ah yes, I'll go all the way to Roebuck to sit down so I can each my lunch on a break from the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If you're not smart enough to find somewhere to sit during the day in UCD that is within 5 minutes(very maximum) of the library then you might as well pack in college. Chances are it will be beyond you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

If you're not smart enough to find somewhere to sit during the day in UCD that is within 5 minutes(very maximum) of the library then you might as well pack in college. Chances are it will be beyond you.

I agree I'm just saying that the whole campus isn't an option when you're spending the day in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I agree I'm just saying that the whole campus isn't an option when you're spending the day in the library.

I'm just going to walk outside the library and sit by the lake. Or if the weather is unpleasant I'll sit outside the SU shop or over in arts. I fail to see how they're not options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Around the SU shop the place was packed and all the seats were full. There were a good few people sitting on and around the steps near the SU where the lift is due to the lack of places to sit.
    This resulted in a blind woman and her guide-dog who I often see around UCD getting out of the lift and being blocked by everyone on the steps, the dog couldn't get around the group and when they realised she was there they then shuffled just enough out of the way to let her pass!
    I could see the reasoning behind banning people sitting down outside the library, but from what I saw today the very problem they were complaining of is still happening, just now it's downstairs instead of upstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't see the problem with this.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    NO.

You
    treehugger.jpg

Advertisement