Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plants for dogs

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Once again I find myself having to practically redo my garden. Last year I got some azaeleas, some rodedendrons, and some various other stuff. Unfortunately feck all has come up this year having all apparently died over the winter. I'm starting to think that it must have to do with the fact that my dogs pretty much only wee in my flower beds.
    Ultimately I'll want it to be fairly low maintenance, with the same plants throughout so it looks cohesive as the garden is pretty small. One side of the garden is constantly in light shade, the other side gets sun pretty much all day. Currently surviving in there is deadnettle, dicentra, a geranium, and a camellia. On the sunny side there's deadnettle and some pelargonia.

I was thinking of some phormium, hostas like Halcyon, some more geraniums. Would you say these would be ok? I can't really afford to keep replacing plants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

Some nice hardy roses my be a good idea, plenty of colour all summer long, nice smell and the thorns might keep the dog away!!
    Generally you can pick them up for around 7 euro up each and once they are pruned back well each year should last for quite a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Some low growing prickly evergreen with long flowering shrubs might be worth considering?

For example: Perynetta, Berberis buxifolia nana.

Herbaceous: persicaria darjeeling red are very durable and should be capable of wsurviving an occasional sprinkling of 'acid rain' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for that. The persicaria might be just what the doctor ordered.

I've though about roses, but the thorns put me off them, that and the fact that there's been one in there for 10 years that's never had so much as a bud on it *sigh*.

I'm quite lucky with the dogs; they're not diggers at all so I'm not worried about keeping them out of the flower beds, more with getting plants that won't die of wee poisoning.

Advertisement