Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple build for home

Options
  • 10-04-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

My dad would like to get himself a new system for the house only going to be used for his work which will be office and excel and then for browsing and watching TV shows etc online. Any help is much appreciated.

1. What is your budget? [€400-450]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Word processing & watching TV shows / movies

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Undecided]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22']

6. Do you need any peripherals? Keyboard, mouse & network card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Maybe]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next month or so]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Northside of Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Here ya go:

Item|Price
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€35.99
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40.13
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€37.07
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9|€18.31
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1000 black|€32.56
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.83
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€133.34
    BenQ G2225HD|€99.00
    Logitech Mouse M90|€5.63
    D-Link AirPlusG DWL-G510 Wireless PCI-Adapter|€15.82
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€454.67

There is no keyboard included there as the only ones on that site are in German layout, you could pick one up off Komplett or just use a spare in the house. If you wanted to save some money you could drop the Crucial M4 and put in the 64GB version or just get a mechanical hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

for your uses i dont think a SSD would provide much benefit for the amount it would cost, i'd stick with a mechanical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Osmosae wrote: »
    for your uses i dont think a SSD would provide much benefit for the amount it would cost, i'd stick with a mechanical

Well actually it's probably the best case, small light build that won't be keeping many files, just streaming over the internet. And if he really needs more space, an external from Easons would do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

For the price thats in it, i don't really see what benefit a ssd provides for the uses ? Not having a go at your spec or anything m8, but since it's gonna be a family computer, i've never seen a family computer that didnt get crap downloaded to it as and when people wanted it, without removing it when finished, only when hard drive space is low. With that in mind 128gb wouldnt be enough.

A 64gb ssd i just dont see the point in (for any system), too large for caching and not large enough for a primary hard drive (might just be personal preference though :) )

If you left out the ssd and added in a mechanical you'd have space for everything, stay within budget, and the only downside would be a slightly longer boot up time and program opening time (of which word and excel arent too slow to begin with). If the budget is more flexible then yeh throw in the ssd for ****s n giggles but if its more stringent, could easily be left out

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crybaby

Thanks a million for your advice.

I think he would go with the 500gb drive as he has a tendency to keep a lot of family photos and bits and pieces and the drive will fill up with downloaded stuff etc.

Would it possible to get a blu-ray & windows 7 in there with that budget afterdropping the SSD and dvd drive? I don't think the blu-ray is really essential to him but might just be a nice option for him.

I'm presuming that the celeron processor will do just fine for movie watching & general office work?

• Advertisement

crybaby wrote: »
    I'm presuming that the celeron processor will do just fine for movie watching & general office work?

Yes. But if you wait ten more days Intel will launch their new range of processors.
    So effectively, in ten days time, the g530 will be one of the lowest spec processor of last generation.

That doesn't mean the g530 is bad, it's great value for money for the performance it gives. But wait :) just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crybaby

That's great to know cheers Bezka. So would there be any chance of a price drop for the g530 do you think or can we expect a new budget alternative to come in to replace the g530?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

We won't see an alternative for a while, as it's mostly the higher-end stuff that's launching first, but the G530 might see a wee bit of a price drop (nothing that would affect the build though).

crybaby wrote: »
    That's great to know cheers Bezka. So would there be any chance of a price drop for the g530 do you think or can we expect a new budget alternative to come in to replace the g530?

ya Serephucus is right, sorry
    it's only the new i5's and i7's (which are way out of the budget :D) that are out in 10 days. The i3's are out in the summer apparently and apparently there will be NO new celerons

Advertisement