Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to clean neck ties.

• 10-04-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for advice if anyone can offer it. Can anybody suggest a good way of cleaning neck ties, aside from dry cleaning which is really expensive?

I have a few ties that I really like, but that I have spilled coffee on, and cant wear them until I find a way to clean them. I've tried rolling them up and putting them in a clean sock, then putting in the washing machine, but they always seem to go lumpy, and wont go back to being smooth again, even if I iron them for an hour.

Any ideas that I could try? (Stop drinking coffee in the car would be a good start I admit).
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Polyester ties should be ok with a delicate wash. Silk ties wont wash and need to handled by a drycleaner familiar with stain removal on silk. The ones you washed are probably silk and thats why they become twisted and out of shape. They can be opened up and straightened out to some extent but will never quite look the same.
    By the way, thats why they are expensive to clean. There's a bit of work in them :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Archeron wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for advice if anyone can offer it. Can anybody suggest a good way of cleaning neck ties, aside from dry cleaning which is really expensive?

I have a few ties that I really like, but that I have spilled coffee on, and cant wear them until I find a way to clean them. I've tried rolling them up and putting them in a clean sock, then putting in the washing machine, but they always seem to go lumpy, and wont go back to being smooth again, even if I iron them for an hour.

Any ideas that I could try? (Stop drinking coffee in the car would be a good start I admit).
    Cheers in advance.

The factor that has not been mentioned is the interlining. This is the piece of wool or other material that is stitched in a tie in order to give the fabric shape and even drape. If you have put these ties in the washing machine they are absolutely and utterly beyond repair. [Imagine if you put your suit in a washing machine]

In general coffee, orange juice and oil are the three hardest stains to remove, especially so in the case of a fabric that cannot be washed. Beyond dabbing lightly with a damp cloth, or ironing grease off with brown paper there is little that can be done at home. Many dry cleaners will not bother with ties either, or will not achieve the desired results.

Advertisement