Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best treatment/preserve for Softwwod Decking

• 10-04-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on the best treament/preserve for softwood decking. It has obviously been pre-treated but what about the upkeep?

any advise on the upkeep would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

How does one tell the difference between soft wood decking and hard wood decking?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

How does one tell the difference between soft wood decking and hard wood decking?:confused:

The smart answer I was given was "...about double the price!!"
    The hardwood is alot more expensive and has a better quality look and feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

My preference is to use basic clear decking oil,it looks great, a couple of coats will last the year,when it come to redoing a blast of power washer will take it off back to the wood. The oil will protect it somewhat but only if it's used repeatedly,like yearly. Cost about €60 for a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

dubtom wrote: »
    My preference is to use basic clear decking oil,it looks great, a couple of coats will last the year,when it come to redoing a blast of power washer will take it off back to the wood. The oil will protect it somewhat but only if it's used repeatedly,like yearly. Cost about €60 for a tin.

Thanks Tom
    I will have a look at the oils, I have noticed a few decks which have been stained and they have aged very, very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

dubtom wrote: »

How does it come off with the power washer I thought deck oils were meant to penetrate into the wood?
    Mate used Ronseal jebus looked great first few months but when that stuff started peeling.... CHRIST Full weekend to get it off wasnt even paid :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement