Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Effort Deadlifting & wearing a belt

• 10-04-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Lads my 1 rep max on the deadlift at the moment is 152.5kg & I should be good to hit 155 next time I go for a PR. How would you warm up for this? Do you go up in singles from 120 or is it acceptable to go up in 20kg increments ?
    I currently deadlift beltless when should a lifter start to use a belt? I'm sure this is probably covered in another thread somewhere but if someone would be kind enough to link me up?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lads my 1 rep max on the deadlift at the moment is 152.5kg & I should be good to hit 155 next time I go for a PR. How would you warm up for this? Do you go up in singles from 120 or is it acceptable to go up in 20kg increments ?
    I currently deadlift beltless when should a lifter start to use a belt? I'm sure this is probably covered in another thread somewhere but if someone would be kind enough to link me up?

There's no absolute "need" to ever wear a belt in the context that it should never be used as a crutch to support good form.

Warm up to a 155kg pull?
    60kg 2x5
    90kg x3
    110kg x1
    125kg x1
    140kg x1
    155kg x1

...is probably around what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Cheers Hanley

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Proper powerlifting belts are pure and simply performance enhancers and not supports, especially when squatting.

You could wear a belt from start to finish if you want but I know people have their own preferences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

You dont need to wear a belt ever really.

If you havent been wearing one then dont be in a hurry to start wearing one just cos you see everyone else wearing one or even the pros.

I had been wearing one myself when doing max weight set or attempting a PR. Considering getting rid belt altogether even for max effort set with reps. I find that my form changes slightly when I belt up and when I'm going for reps at max effort, the tight belt can slightly feel uncomfortable and prevent me taking in a deep breath. But that all depends on the type of belt (i wear an addidas which is same thickness all around).
    Also not wearing a belt means your core muscles probably have to work slightly harder so they will get more of a workout.

Wearing a belt can possibly help prevent back injury. I still think your better off building up strength in core without belt and dont lift weight that causes your form to break.

For me I think that the belt will be used when attempting 1 rep PR's going forward as there is probably more chance of something going in your lower back then.

Anyone agree or disagree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Justin1982 wrote: »
    You dont need to wear a belt ever really.

Agree
    I had been wearing one myself when doing max weight set or attempting a PR. Considering getting rid belt altogether even for max effort set with reps. I find that my form changes slightly when I belt up and when I'm going for reps at max effort, the tight belt can slightly feel uncomfortable and prevent me taking in a deep breath. But that all depends on the type of belt (i wear an addidas which is same thickness all around).

Sounds like yu're not using the belt correctly. It should really be something to brace against, rather than something to hold you together, if that makes sense?
    Also not wearing a belt means your core muscles probably have to work slightly harder so they will get more of a workout.

That depends. The overload afforded by the belt may close the gap. Plus you could argue that while your core gets a better workout, your everything else suffers.
    Wearing a belt can possibly help prevent back injury. I still think your better off building up strength in core without belt and dont lift weight that causes your form to break.
    [/quote

Disagree. It can also cause it. And when stuff goes wrong, it goes wrong with more weight.
    For me I think that the belt will be used when attempting 1 rep PR's going forward as there is probably more chance of something going in your lower back then.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Disagree. If your form's bad, any DL could injure you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Hanley wrote: »

Disagree. If your form's bad, any DL could injure you.

I've wondered lately what happens if your in the middle of a deadlift, something goes wrong in your back, your in bits on the ground in pain and you've got one of those double prong belts stuck tight on you. I cant imagine its very easy to get off in that situation. It can be hard enough to get them on. Luckily I havent heard of anyone in that situation.

Advertisement