Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double payment to garage?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi all, just throwing this out to see what the general consensus is;
    My car was having problems and broke down,got it towed to main dealers to be fixed and after about a week they said it was repaired and to the tune of €650. i collected it and 10 miles down the road it broke down! same problem as before, got it back to the garage,reset the "fault" out the road again, broke down!!! back again this time left it with them and they said oh we have a few ideas,blah blah,its will be fixed at no cost to me cos they didnt do it right. Fair enough.Three weeks later,much guessing,them saying they hadnt a clue,taking it to another garage to double check the diagnostic equipment,the said its the injector need to be checked independantly but it will cost me as they dont want to spend any more money on it!! agreed to pay half cost of test(75 euro).They call me following week,said they authorised the repair as they want it back on road and the bad news is its gonna cost me 500 euro!
    am i wrong in thinking they should have fixed it properly first time and cant charge me twice to fix the same problem?? need advice as gonna collect it tomorrow. :mad::mad: regards, carol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm not sure if I have this correct but did they say they will fix the fault at no cost to you? If you had already paid 650 to get this fault fixed and they said that then the answer is no, you shouldn't have to pay.

But, the crux of this problem is that unless its on paper, its your word against theirs. With things like cars there can often be no predefined cost and costing is worked out by the time (labour) and parts. If they have invested time into trying to fix the problem then they are entitled to be paid for this. If however the agreement was that you pay X and it would be fixed then time goes out the window as you have paid based on the problem being resolved. It appears that they told you it would cost 650, they worked on it but it didn't resolve the problem. It has now gone to the point where its costing them so they are looking to pass the cost on. To be honest, you need to remember what was said and if you have it on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

spedygirl wrote: »
    its will be fixed at no cost to me cos they didnt do it right.
    spedygirl wrote: »
    said they authorised the repair as they want it back on road and the bad news is its gonna cost me 500 euro!
    You never authorized the €500 charge, so why should you pay it? Contact a solicitor as they sound like f**king cowboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Complaints
    You could have a problem after you have had your car serviced or repaired with:

Replacement parts failing a short time after the service or repair
    Generic parts being used when you said you wanted genuine manufacturer parts
    Second-hand parts being used instead of new parts
    Additional work being done without your approval
    The final bill costing a lot more than the quotation
    The service not being complete at the time agreed
    The car failing the NCT if you asked specifically for NCT issues to be checked
    Damage to your car which wasn't there before the work - always check around the car before you drive off and raise any issues immediately.
    Complain to the person or garage which carried out the work and ask them to put things right. If the work was done by a garage you should complain to the manager.

If you are still not happy, and the person or garage is a member of a trade association - for example the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI). You could consider taking the matter up with that association.

You are also free to take up the matter through the Small Claims process.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/car-servicing-repairs

Advertisement