Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl/aldi very annoying

• 10-04-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Anyone else annoyed going to these shops and the que is out the door yet only one person is serving and there's 5 tills there queuing for 10 mins for a loaf of poxy ****ty bread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Never happens in M & S darling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Then.............don't.................go?

And the 'what' is out the door? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny i was in lidl yesterday teatime 2 tills 2 big queues, one of the cashiers got another till opened (maybe its just doengal town)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why do you buy poxy ****ty bread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Anyone else annoyed going to these shops and the que is out the door yet only one person is serving and there's 5 tills there queuing for 10 mins for a loaf of poxy ****ty bread

It is very frustrating -
    Don't Que and go to a different shop :)
    or else complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Buy more stuff to make the wait worthwhile. Either that or bake your own bread. Anyway, another first world problem to add to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I only do my shopping at the local organic bakery who deliver it straight to my kitchen. I always give the little delivery Polish guy a pat on his head and 50 cent for being the good boy and send him on his way. Lidl/Aldi - so plebeian!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

it must be because of all the fat people that shop in aldi and lidl they take up more room thus making the queue look longer than it really is... there was probably only 6 or 7 fat people ahead of you in the queue.

Supermarket Shopper Survey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Whats rong with going to super value or dunne stores for some tiger cob ? :(

they need our support too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

The LIDL down around these parts does f*ck all business, surprised it's not shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Never have to queue for long in the Aldi near me. Lidl used to be quite annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The reason they can sell stuff so cheap is because they don't have loads of staff on, nice decor, fancy shelves etc.

You can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lidl & Aldi don't want people going in there buying a handful of items, if they did they would provide shopping baskets and express outlets.

If you notice both these chains only provide large shopping trolleys. Everything is carefully planned and manipulated so that you will have to do a complete tour of the shop just to get the basics and fill up your large trolley as you spot other items that you may not necessarily need along the way.

Its called professional marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Friel wrote: »
    The LIDL down around these parts does f*ck all business, surprised it's not shut down.
    :confused::confused: Where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

@Run, think you'll find you're talking out your @rse pal.
    Lidl on Moore St in Dublin do indeed provide baskets. Aldi down the road from them provide two sizes of trolleys.
    Yet more b*llocks talk from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

chin_grin wrote: »
    Then.............don't.................go?

And the 'what' is out the door? :pac:

If the queue was out the door, I'd be tempted to leg it without paying for my poxy loaf.

Lidl on Moore St in Dublin do indeed provide baskets. Aldi down the road from them provide two sizes of trolleys.

The majority of Lidl and Aldis don't provide baskets. I believe it has more to do with the cost of baskets being stolen rather than a conspiracy to make you buy more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Stark wrote: »
    The majority of Lidl and Aldis don't provide baskets. I believe it has more to do with the cost of baskets being stolen rather than a conspiracy to make you buy more though.

My local Lidl provides baskets.

Anyway, my only problem with Lidl is how eerily quiet it is in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Next time you go to Aldi/Lidl, try smearing poo over your body. That way, everybody will let you skip the queue to get you out of the shop. Problem solved!!

\thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Where are you located? The Aldi I use is great for putting staff on the tills when it gets busy. Its so popular they are doubling the size of the car park at the minute.

Anyone wrote: »

I stand corrected.

The majority minus one of Lidls don't provide baskets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I would say shut up and wait five minutes, of course everything is cheaper because they don't employ a huge amount of staff so there is often empty tills.

But I do actually hate the tills if you pop into get something and they don't have it you're trapped and awkwardly have to queue or squeeze by someone and do the awkward penguin shuffle out empty handed, not subtle, not subtle at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

TheBody wrote: »
    Next time you go to Aldi/Lidl, try smearing poo over your body. That way, everybody will let you skip the queue to get you out of the shop. Problem solved!!

\thread.

Well that's a pretty $hit idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

people paying by card seem to slow the Q most.

ban the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its quiet because they dont have to pay IRMA for the rights to play music in the stores, it must drive the staff nuts, just hearing constant beeping and people complaining all day.

saa wrote: »
    I would say shut up and wait five minutes, of course everything is cheaper because they don't employ a huge amount of staff so there is often empty tills.

But I do actually hate the tills if you pop into get something and they don't have it you're trapped and awkwardly have to queue or squeeze by someone and do the awkward penguin shuffle out empty handed, not subtle, not subtle at all.

...and you have to carry a sign informing everyone that you haven't stolen anything and shoved it in your pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Maybe you should employ more staff OP, have them run these errands for you. Right now this post is being typed by one of the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I always get an empty box, if I only have to buy a few items in LIDL, you usually find plenty of them where the veg is. But maybe, that's a German thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

:confused::confused: Where are you?

Our ASDA is massive, so it kinda gets all the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

krudler wrote: »

its quiet because they dont have to pay IRMA for the rights to play music in the stores, it must drive the staff nuts, just hearing constant beeping and people complaining all day.

Can't be any worse than 30 minutes of corporate approved middle of the road music on a loop all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thats because its in the city centre.

I dont see why they wouldnt have self service check outs though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My local Lidl also has baskets.
    The Aldi has big signs above the start of the checkout belt that if the line reaches this far they'll open a new till.
    Can you imagine what kind of country Ireland would be if Aldi&Lidl had not invaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

+1 for when you don't buy anything and can't get out, staff always look at you like you robbed something when you squeeze out, luckily I'm thin enough to squeeze past the closed barriers, fat women holding their fat asses up with the trolleys completely block the open tills, god I hate shopping! Should be a male only time to shop sometime in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

I get pissed off when you judge which queue you're going to join and then some f*cker in front of you has a whole pile of stuff stored on the closed check out, or a box of stuff at the end of the isle because he didn't get a trolley in the first place and couldn't carry all his shopping.

This same b*stard who had the shopping on the next checkout, then went and finished his shopping picking up more stuff of the shelves. I was ready to punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Never happens in M & S darling.

True. But instead of being in a big queue with one checkout operator, you're standing behind aul wans counting their coppers for an eternity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Their queues can be long, but they move really quick! And these Lidls and Aldis that only have one till open? I don't believe they exist. I've been in them all over Europe, and it's the same everywhere - if the queue goes beyond a certain point, another till gets opened until nearly all the staff are on checkouts. Compare a queue of four trollies to a queue for two trollies in Tesco/Super Valu and you'll see which one you'll get out of quicker. Tesco is hell on earth, but people seem to be able to see beyond this because you pay more in there. I just don't understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

number10a wrote: »
    Their queues can be long, but they move really quick! And these Lidls and Aldis that only have one till open? I don't believe they exist. I've been in them all over Europe, and it's the same everywhere - if the queue goes beyond a certain point, another till gets opened until nearly all the staff are on checkouts. Compare a queue of four trollies to a queue for two trollies in Tesco/Super Valu and you'll see which one you'll get out of quicker. Tesco is hell on earth, but people seem to be able to see beyond this because you pay more in there. I just don't understand this.
    What lidls have u been in their slow because the staff act like they ain't bothered and yeah when there's bout ten people in the que then they call someone and it takes another staff member bout 5 minutes to come down in no rush at all it's not good for business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

shoplifting is your friend in this situation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Aldi are now selling selected fruit and veg for just 18c.

The queues might seem longer but move way quicker.

There is no debate here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hardCopy wrote: »
    Can't be any worse than 30 minutes of corporate approved middle of the road music on a loop all day

the one thing I loved about working for HMV was the infinite choice of music we could play, we used to play chat stuff at lunch once the place was busy but any other time it was whatever we felt like, got a real musical education working there. worked in a job before where all they played was a local limerick radio station with the same 15 songs over and over again all day, was torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's not QUE, it's not Q, it's not CUE.

It's "queue."

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What lidls have u been in their slow because the staff act like they ain't bothered and yeah when there's bout ten people in the que then they call someone and it takes another staff member bout 5 minutes to come down in no rush at all it's not good for business

Lidl and aldi tills are way faster than the lazy staff at tesco and dunnes.

Dunnes is a total disaster.

It's not QUE, it's not Q, it's not CUE.

It's "queue."

That is all.

Cue the spelling nazis.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

snubbleste wrote: »
    My local Lidl also has baskets.
    The Aldi has big signs above the start of the checkout belt that if the line reaches this far they'll open a new till.QUOTE]

I HATE THAT SIGN!
    There I am, standing in a queue longer than the aforementioned sign, and only 2-3 lines open. Do they open another line! F*ck no!
    And it isn't that there is not other staff around, they are off packing shelves, or on break whatever.
    I know they have other duties, but if every line is at least a full trolley longer then that stupid sign, open another till or take down the sign!

Aldi in limerick, by the parkway in case anyone is wondering who I am venting at :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lidl opposite Marlay Park is always busy and most tills open. I've dropped in to the one in Deansgrange a couple of times and it is dead quiet with one till syndrome. Dundrum would be halfways between the two, in both distance and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

wow I hope you will somehoe recover from this experience. I know a good counsellor PM me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Lidl & Aldi don't want people going in there buying a handful of items, if they did they would provide shopping baskets and express outlets.

If you notice both these chains only provide large shopping trolleys. Everything is carefully planned and manipulated so that you will have to do a complete tour of the shop just to get the basics and fill up your large trolley as you spot other items that you may not necessarily need along the way.

Its called professional marketing.

Exactly. Lidl is designed for people who want to buy lots of things. Their margins are too low to care about people who want to buy one or two items.

It's not so much marketing as an important part of how the store operates. Calling it professional marketing suggests they are sly about it, which they aren't at all.

They were sly about other things. When I worked there, now and again they would have these specials, such as very cheap GPS systems or televisons (I'm sure they still do). In reality they would order about 8 (most of which the staff bought for themselves before the store opened). It was just a way to get people to queue outside at 8 in the morning and shop there as they had no notion of selling GPS systems to more than the first couple of people. The customers would complain to the staff about how there weren't enough GPS systems but they would still get their shopping done while they were at it so Lidl were happy. At least with a loss leader, the shop has the product in stock. Lidl just advertise the product while in reality ordering only a small handful.
    krudler wrote: »

I worked in Lidl and Dunnes; and preferred no music in Lidl to the same six Christmas songs playing over and over again in Dunnes. I'd rather hear the sound of beeping and people complaining than some of the s**** music they normally play in these stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I was in Marks & Spencers the other day and they sell Blueberry cheesecake ice cream. I regret not buying a tub now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

Often there's problems with the tills in Lidl and they can't be used. But they vary wildly on how busy they are. Moore St for example is usually the busiest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement