Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl/aldi very annoying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's not QUE, it's not Q, it's not CUE.

It's "queue."

That is all.

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Why go to a supermarket to buy bread? :S Just go to the local corner shop or centra/spar etc. Bread costs the same everywhere and there'd be no queue in smaller shops where people go to get a few things for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone else annoyed going to these shops and the que is out the door yet only one person is serving and there's 5 tills there queuing for 10 mins for a loaf of poxy ****ty bread
    Less staff, less cost.

You went there as it's cheaper. If you want more tills open, goto Tescos, but remember that the extra tills cost more, so be prepared to pay for the privilege! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Am I the only person who has never been to Lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Yes Darling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yeah, I prefer Aldi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lidl & Aldi don't want people going in there buying a handful of items, if they did they would provide shopping baskets and express outlets.

If you notice both these chains only provide large shopping trolleys. Everything is carefully planned and manipulated so that you will have to do a complete tour of the shop just to get the basics and fill up your large trolley as you spot other items that you may not necessarily need along the way.

Its called professional marketing.

It's called sneaky, conniving Germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When I worked there, now and again they would have these specials....... In reality they would order about 8 (most of which the staff bought for themselves before the store opened).

Bad form

That's just wasting customers time if the staff had it all organized between themselves

I don't blame the staff as people will push to what they get away with, that's managements fault

Pure time wasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Fart wrote: »
    True. But instead of being in a big queue with one checkout operator, you're standing behind aul wans counting their coppers for an eternity.

Shops are only legally obliged to take 50 coins in one transaction
    no party shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins in any single
    payment.

Source : http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:1998:139:0001:0005:EN:PDF (article 11).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Natasha_95 wrote: »
    Why go to a supermarket to buy bread? :S Just go to the local corner shop or centra/spar etc. Bread costs the same everywhere and there'd be no queue in smaller shops where people go to get a few things for the day.

Sorry Natasha, ime you will pay the most for bread in a garage/M&S, little less in Spar/Centra/local corner shop, less again in Dunnes & Tesco, cheapest in Aldi/Lidl,. Same seems to apply to all basic provisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Lidl & Aldi don't want people going in there buying a handful of items, if they did they would provide shopping baskets and express outlets.

If you notice both these chains only provide large shopping trolleys. Everything is carefully planned and manipulated so that you will have to do a complete tour of the shop just to get the basics and fill up your large trolley as you spot other items that you may not necessarily need along the way.

Its called professional marketing.

Exactly. Lidl is designed for people who want to buy lots of things. Their margins are too low to care about people who want to buy one or two items.

It's not so much marketing as an important part of how the store operates. Calling it professional marketing suggests they are sly about it, which they aren't at all.

They were sly about other things. When I worked there, now and again they would have these specials, such as very cheap GPS systems or televisons (I'm sure they still do). In reality they would order about 8 (most of which the staff bought for themselves before the store opened). It was just a way to get people to queue outside at 8 in the morning and shop there as they had no notion of selling GPS systems to more than the first couple of people. The customers would complain to the staff about how there weren't enough GPS systems but they would still get their shopping done while they were at it so Lidl were happy. At least with a loss leader, the shop has the product in stock. Lidl just advertise the product while in reality ordering only a small handful.
    krudler wrote: »
    its quiet because they dont have to pay IRMA for the rights to play music in the stores, it must drive the staff nuts, just hearing constant beeping and people complaining all day.

I worked in Lidl and Dunnes; and preferred no music in Lidl to the same six Christmas songs playing over and over again in Dunnes. I'd rather hear the sound of beeping and people complaining than some of the s**** music they normally play in these stores.
    But if you ring head office they will find out which store has stock left and you can go from there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Sorry Natasha, ime you will pay the most for bread in a garage/M&S, little less in Spar/Centra/local corner shop, less again in Dunnes & Tesco, cheapest in Aldi/Lidl,. Same seems to apply to all basic provisions.

There's also a difference in bread between Aldi and LIDL.
    Aldi only has the plastic wrapped styrofoam sh*te that everyone sells, LIDL has a bakery that actually is quite nice. It's the closest thing to bread you can get in this country.
    Now some of the Polish shops have started selling decent (i.e. part rye and sourdough) bread, but it will cost ya!
    Also, when I'm in Tesco or Dunnes I despair at the speed of the till operators, glacial is the word here.
    They wouldn't last 5 minutes in LIDL or Aldi. In those shops they log the average speed of the cashier's scanning and there are targets to be met. Once you met them, they go up.
    Take a look at the till when you are next in line. it will say "Cashier logged out".
    The reason the cashier logs out between every customer is to get the average scanning speed up, if you stay logged in, but don't scan any items, your average will suffer.
    There's even protocols for the customers, i.e. take your scanned items, heap them in the trolley, move over to the packing shelf and carefully pack them there.
    Of course that bit doesn't work in this country, it used to drive me nuts when I worked on the till at LIDL (many, many years ago).
    I have been shopping in three different LIDLS in Limerick, one in Shannon, one in Ennis and one in Gort. None of them have baskets. Only seems to be a city center thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What annoys me are the customers who take all the packaging off their items and leave then by the packing shelf. Take your own rubbish home, ye tight feckers!!

Also, anyone notice the staff in Aldi seem much more pleasant. There's an Aldi and a Lidi right opposite each other beside me and the different is unreal. Anytime I'd have to go into Lidl I'd always seem to get this misersble wan who would hardly speak to you. I dread being served by her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you get what you pay for
    if you want your food dirt cheap, prepare for poor service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

krudler wrote: »
    its quiet because they dont have to pay IRMA for the rights to play music in the stores, it must drive the staff nuts, just hearing constant beeping and people complaining all day.

Neither are Tesco or Dunnes, who cannot add this as some sort of overhead. Both of them have been playing free unlicensed music for years- it's also in Woodies, liffey valley shopping centre..and I heard it in Insomnia once. It is god awful, I worked in it for years and would prefer the silence! It used to be a relief when the store closed and we could get the music shut off if we had to stay late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Also, anyone notice the staff in Aldi seem much more pleasant. There's an Aldi and a Lidi right opposite each other beside me and the different is unreal. Anytime I'd have to go into Lidl I'd always seem to get this misersble wan who would hardly speak to you. I dread being served by her.

Here in Midleton, the Lidl staff are nicer than the Aldi staff, so it just depends really. That said, the Aldi staff are by no means rude, just not as nice. People are people and they vary. Still prefer Aldi though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Aldi honey and spelt bread is unreal! OP is talking sh1te!

Ainekav wrote: »

Try the Lidl fresh baked multi grain, grey loaf or pumpkin seed, Yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

KilOit wrote: »
    Should be a male only time to shop sometime in the day

this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm never queueing more than 5 minutes in lidl or aldi, unless sone idiot at the front of the queue is packing their bags at the till or is paying in pennies or some shyte. Can't fault the staff at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It's not QUE, it's not Q, it's not CUE.

It's "queue."

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can you imagine what kind of country Ireland would be if Aldi&Lidl had not invaded?

Famine II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ainekav wrote: »
    Ha guess this fool works for them and I hit a nerve ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Stark wrote: »
    The majority of Lidl and Aldis don't provide baskets. I believe it has more to do with the cost of baskets being stolen rather than a conspiracy to make you buy more though.

All the Lidls I've been in when I'm in Finland provide plastic baskets (two sizes), and the baskets all have those round electronic thingies they use in clothes shops to set off an alarm when you go through the doorway scanner.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

What's the correct pronunciation of Lidl?

Lid L
    Leed L
    Lied L

:confused:

I say Lid L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What's the correct pronunciation of Lidl?

Lid L
    Leed L
    Lied L

:confused:

I say Lid L

I was reliably informed by a German friend that it's "Leed L."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

That's how the woman on the advertisements says it. Sounds stupid tbh. :D

That's how the woman on the advertisements says it. Sounds stupid tbh. :D

It does, it sounds kind of childish to English speakers, I think.

It's going to have to be one of those "Peugeot" cases where we stick to our proper non-foreign, non-fancy pronunciation :D.

It does, it sounds kind of childish to English speakers, I think.

It's going to have to be one of those "Peugeot" cases where we stick to our proper non-foreign, non-fancy pronunciation :D.

Aw now which one's the fancy one cos I pronounce it Purrgeot

Aw now which one's the fancy one cos I pronounce it Purrgeot

Arrah it's far from Purrgeot I was reared!

It's Pyoogeot: sure what would them French know! :pac:

• Advertisement

I can support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Lidl - Lee-dill
    Aldi- Al-dee

Germans have the opposite pronunciation of I's and E's to us. Don't go on about any of that ' Oh we're in Ireland we don't say our I's/E's like that so it's Lid-ill or Al-die'. If you were in a different country you wouldn't let people pronounce your name wrong just because it's different there. Gods sake if I lived in England I'd be called aile-sling

Also you don't hear people pronouncing Audi or Volkswagen differently do you?

Lidl - Lee-dill
    Aldi- Al-dee

Germans have the opposite pronunciation of I's and E's to us. Don't go on about any of that ' Oh we're in Ireland we don't say our I's/E's like that so it's Lid-ill or Al-die'. If you were in a different country you wouldn't let people pronounce your name wrong just because it's different there. Gods sake if I lived in England I'd be called aile-sling

Also you don't hear people pronouncing Audi or Volkswagen differently do you?

Vorsprung durch Technik!

Ash Ling relax! Exhale in...1...2..3.... exhale out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

We say ren-auld and purrrr-joe around here :cool:

Chill Aisling, do you tell your friends you are going to Roma or Rome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Shops are only legally obliged to take 50 coins in one transaction

Source : http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:1998:139:0001:0005:EN:PDF (article 11).

Shops aren't obliged to take anything at all. The link you provided is about paying an existing debt. There is no debt in this case, and the shop can refuse to do business with you at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Lidl rules especially the one in cork street. I bought 2 chickens for fiver there today. I roasted 1 of them this evening and it was delicious. I told my woman that it was an organic, free range, corn fed, yoga taking, designer clothes wearing, 4 by 4 driving chicken. As far as she was concerned this chicken had it's own pairarie to roam around in. You can't have it every way. They are able to keep their prices low while still maintaining good quality by establishing the most efficient systems possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Sorry lads it's always been a pet peeve to me when people pronounce it wrong, probably because anyone in the past who's gotten it wrong were too stubborn to accept it and would debate that they're right haha and I say Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Anyone else annoyed going to these shops and the que is out the door yet only one person is serving and there's 5 tills there queuing for 10 mins for a loaf of poxy ****ty bread

Lidl is selling a good bread maker at present, it will save you queuing for bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have never seen hand baskets at any of them. Maybe they have them in Dublin as someone said earlier here.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Lidl in stillorgan is the only place I've seen baskets and I've been to a few around the city.

I haven't been in too many Lidls but those oversized blue "baskets" that most people wheel around have been in all of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Friel wrote: »
    The LIDL down around these parts does f*ck all business, surprised it's not shut down.
    ...and where would that be ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    ...and where would that be ???
    Possibly Cookstown. A tiny store with no off-licence and a huge ASDA and Tesco in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Never happens in M & S darling.

Touché. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The basket problem is solved by emptying a box of something on the floor then using a box as a basket ,
    Yes
    Im that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

fukin looking in Tesco today, 3.29 for a tube of Colgate, fuk that
    hella of lot cheaper in lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Ha guess this fool works for them and I hit a nerve ha

No........

I just like their bread

And you're a gob****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Only people who don't care what they eat, long as it's with regularly shop from these kind of shìthäus. And there's a lot if it going around

Little donkey lidl/aldi. sing it, now.. and for the fat guy who ate the cereal dressed in a tutu; fùck you.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Only people who don't care what they eat, long as it's with regularly shop from these kind of shìthäus. And there's a lot if it going around

Little donkey lidl/aldi. sing it, now.. and for the fat guy who ate the cereal dressed in a tutu; fùck you.

They have lots of crap and a fair few good things, as do most supermarkets. Your comment is incorrect and unhelpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement