Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kayaking buddies

• 10-04-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

I believe the first rule of kayaking is never go out alone...

I'm newish to the sport, just started doing a little kayaking last summer, and thought I'd poke around to see if there are any lone kayakers like myself, looking for fellow paddlers to get out on the water with?

I'd guess the best way to find like minded paddlers is to join a club, but seeing as I have my own gear, and being as cheap as I am, does anyone know of an alternative way of meeting up with kayakers for river or sea trips, without having to join a club?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

whereabouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dr_Gonzoo

mawk wrote: »
    whereabouts are you?

Oh yeah thanks, I should have mentioned that, I'm based in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

sorry, im in cork. but hopefully someone shows up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

mawk wrote: »
    sorry, im in cork. but hopefully someone shows up
    There's plenty of roof rack clubs around. With a club you've got a group of safety conscious paddlers. I'd earnestly suggest a club OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rothai

I second what mugs says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

As you are new to the sport and Dublin based I'd suggest joining WWKC.

Trust me, for the sake of less than 11euro a month you'll get a hell of a lot more value than if you had that in your pocket. The club will provide you with the training and safety skills you need, bring you on organised river trips, expose you to other disciplines and best of all introduce you to a wide range of fellow paddlers.

Do a few proficiency exams, get taught to roll, corret bad habits, learn river skills, do a REC course, make paddling contacts for future impromptu trips, and even if you leave after the 1st year you'll still have a solid base!

Also, you might find it hard to find people to bring someone they don't know (personally or ability wise) down a river etc. You need to realistically have a good idea of everyone's ability on or off the water should anything happen. A group of self taught like minded new paddlers with their own gear who decide to run a river with no prior training/experience could be a recipe for disaster! At least in a club scenario the experienced to inexperienced ratio on trips is 1:1 so you'll learn in a "safe" environment.

My 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

It's understandable how a new paddler, finding a bunch of mates can seem more appealing than being bossed down rivers and feeling like a grommet. But realistically, most intermediate/advanced paddlers aren't willing to just take a complete stranger and put a load of time and effort into training them up and babysitting them on rivers, why would they? Not out of snobbery, but I know when I'm out paddling outside of a club trip I'm just looking to have fun with my friends, not providing a free service to someone else I don't really know. Also from the beginner's side, you don't know if you're out with a bunch of shysters who are teaching you poor technique or worse, putting you in danger. At least with a club there is some level of regulation in how they train.

More advanced paddlers always have to be cautious of who they take out with them, even on a peer paddle as they are lumped with responsibility for anything that happens and any blame (bitter experience :mad:) That's why you will probably have a hard time finding someone willing to do it on a regular basis and might end up annoying people by asking. Join a club for starters, meeting friends and building up a crew will come organically as your skills progress :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

any kayakers around carna/lettermore in galway?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

lizgal wrote: »

Try Galway Kayak club. If they are too far away someone is bound to know who is in your area. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dr_Gonzoo

Thanks guys,

and sorry for the late reply, I thought I would have got an email to replies on the thread, but anyway,

what you've all said does make sense, joining a club does seem to be the way to go.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭tphase

lizgal wrote: »

there's a few around S. Connemara. Maybe post something on a few kayaking bulletin boards to advertise yourself

http://wiska.ie/
    http://iska.ie/

Advertisement