Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Important Web Technologies for the future?

• 10-04-2012 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭

What Web technologies do people think are most important for future Web-based software development?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"web technologies" it's a broad term, but .... html5?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

in relation to corba

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

TomKat wrote: »
    in relation to corba
    That's a pretty important part to mention :) I would have thought that CORBA is largely dead as a general use web technology. I'd guess there are situations where it is used and I'm sure it works very well (I'd bet there's some financial institutions out there still using it to talk to each other). But for the moment and the immediate future REST and JSON are the technologies to use, with XML and SOAP still out there but dying quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

stevenmu wrote: »
    But for the moment and the immediate future REST and JSON are the technologies to use, with XML and SOAP still out there but dying quickly.
    What makes you think XML and SOAP are dying quickly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Dying quickly may be overstating it, and SOAP/XML is still used a ton, but in the context of web technologies, all of the 'buzz' is about REST/JSON. Google have killed their SOAP search api in favour of REST, Microsoft have begun to favour REST over SOAP with their products. There's some graphs here which show strong usage of REST over SOAP (best ones I could find from a very quick search).

SOAP/XML is still used a lot, and going forward will still be used, but REST/JSON seems to be very much the winner.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the contributions so far. What do you think are most important in the area of social media? Like Facebook, Twitter etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

TomKat wrote: »
    What Web technologies do people think are most important for future Web-based software development?

The ones which haven't been invented yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Thanks for the contributions so far. What do you think are most important in the area of social media? Like Facebook, Twitter etc?

so when exactly is your college paper on web technologies due?

amen wrote: »
    so when exactly is your college paper on web technologies due?

Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Advertisement
Advertisement