Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach noise problem

Options
  • 10-04-2012 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm a final year college student living in a rented apartment in a converted house. I've had consistent problems with the place and the landlord has shown themselves to be very inefficient in fixing these problems. As I live on the bottom floor of the complex, I often hear a lot of noise from upstairs; from the washing machine and tenants above me. This is fine during the day but lately there seems to have been an escalation of noise especially at night time. Every night from about 1 until 4am there is consistent noise from upstairs; pacing around in boots (by the sounds of it) and the sound of presses opening and what I can only presume is a dog running around. However, I was wondering how to approach this situation as it's seriously affecting my sleep and mental health. I'm stressed out enough already and don't want to deal with the confrontation that would ensue if I asked the above tenants to stop (I had to deal with them once on a relatively neutral issue and they were verbally aggressive which upset me a lot).

What are my rights regarding this? Is it the landlord's prerogative to sort this out, seeing as the place clearly isn't soundproofed properly? I realize that these people have a right to walk around thier apartment when they want so what's going to stop them? If anyone has any idea as regards what to do I would be so grateful. This is really affecting my study, so much so that I'm afraid my college grades will suffer. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 noisehelp

You need to read the contract you signed when you moved in. There should be a pretty specific set of rules governing when you can and can't make noise.

I'm afraid your matter might be quite hard to prove. Footfall, a dog and presses opening. It isn't verbal noise i.e shouting, fighting, singing etc... and like you said they may just say they can walk around their place and look in their presses whenever they want.

I'll take a leap and assume that you are covered for night time noise in the contract you signed with your landlord. However this idea that the place 'isn't soundproofed properly' just isn't going to fly in all likelihood. As long as the building conforms to a set of specs (which are generally of a pretty low standard) then the landlord isn't responsible for soundproofing or any of that.

It is up to them to sort out late night noise that's stopping you from sleeping. However you might have a hard time hammering home your complaint. I'm sorry but you're in a tough spot here. I have a noise complaint ongoing and it's related to partying at hours more unsociable than yours. We're talking a dozen or more people coming in at 3 and 4 am and having parties with music blaring until 9-10 the next morning. I can prove all this with recorded evidence and the matter has still been going on for 3 months. You are talking about footsteps and presses here. I've no doubt it's causing you serious stress but it's going to be way harder to capture the effects of this.

Maybe someone has more hopeful advice for you but the chances of a swift resolution (if they neighbours are as unreasonable as you say) is unlikely I'm afraid. I wish I could be more helpful and I really do feel for you with your exams coming up.

All I can say is put whatever wheels need to be put in motion as soon as humanly possible. The sooner you get the ball rolling the closer to a resolution you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What kind of lease do you have? If you are not tied into a fixed term lease then probably the simplest solution is to find somewhere else to live. At least some of the problems you describe sound like they are down to the house itself rather than the neighbours (it sounds like there are very thin walls/ceilings and possibly wooden floors in the upstairs apartments). This is not something that the landlord can rectify in a hurry even if they wanted to, and by the sounds of it they wouldnt make much effort anyway, so for your own sake Id say its best just to find somewhere else to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 astrithr

Thank you both for your quick replies!

@noisehelp, I'm sorry to hear you're in an even worse predicament. Might I ask how exactly you've documented the noise disruption?

@djimi, Unfortunately I am in a fixed term contract which is not up until September. On that note, would consistent noise problems be enough to allow for termination of the lease before its conclusion?

I went to the shop and bought ear plugs for the meantime until something done (as usual, calls to the landlord just ring out). So fingers crossed they'll work!

Advertisement