Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fur Code (QR Code) Dog Tags

• 10-04-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got a Fur Code Tag? They seem like a good idea - anyone with a smart phone will be able to scan the tag on the spot say out of hours if a vet is closed and you can put lots of information on it so maybe a good idea say for medical conditions? I use a bone shaped identiag on my guy atm think it looks quite fetching (hawhaw;)) ..also it was half the price of the furcode one :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

or you could put your phone number on it so someone can call you with their not so smart phone.

That is the stupidest use of QR codes i have ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

or you could put your phone number on it so someone can call you with their not so smart phone.

That is the stupidest use of QR codes i have ever seen

OR when your phone number changes you can update the details on the webpage rather than have to get a new tag?..

I think it's a pretty good use of QR codes tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think you're overestimating the number of people outside the boards.ie demographic who even know what a QR code is, let alone have a smartphone and also have the appropriate s/w installed to recognize them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Wouldn't use one, too much money if lost and would need a regular tag anyway just in case people havent a smart phone or know what a QR tag is. Wouldn't take the risk with one alone. If you could scan a micro-chip with your phone then it would be a different story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I can imagine someone trying to scan the code on some hyper lab puppy... yeah!

• Advertisement

suziwalsh wrote: »
    If you could scan a micro-chip with your phone then it would be a different story :D

Yeah that would be pretty cool - everyone would be scanning their pets lol :) On our guys first visit the vet was giving us a speech about chips (he was already chipped but she was going to check if it was working) and held the scanner thing to her arm to show how there was no response cos she wasn't chipped - as she was doing it I was :eek: - I honestly thought for a second she was chipped in some advertising deal or something LOL!!! :D:D

Anyhoos I just posted about them to see what people thought. I think they're a good idea in theory but in practice you still need a normal tag and chip to cover your bases... I'd just buy a second normal tag as a spare tbh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FurCode

Stupid use of QR Codes??? :confused:

Guys we just saved a few fosters who escaped in Australia who had temporary living conditions and therefore did not have standard ID tags or updated Microchip information. We work with a lot of shelters and rescues who believe our approach is very useful in meeting their needs. It allows them to transfer contact information between owners seamlessly, without ridiculous processing fees!

I can pass out a few freebies to those on the fence to try it. Let me know if interested. Totally free, no strings attached.

Note: we guarantee them for life, even if lost.

FurCode wrote: »
    I can pass out a few freebies to those on the fence to try it. Let me know if interested. Totally free, no strings attached.

me me me!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FurCode

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Please contact reps@boards.ie if you wish to represent your business on these forums. Your user name is in breach of the terms of use of this site which you have just signed up to so please refrain from posting until your identity has been verified.

Thank You

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Ill try one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The biggest concern with this type of product is the longevity of the company keeping the database. I already have two dogs with different microchips.

Yes a phone that reads chips would be handy but the worrying thing is that there are still reports/rumours that Pounds are not checking for chips & their is no legal requirement for them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I saw these and thought that they were not a whole lot of use. We have name tags on ours, if you have name tags, with your details, why would you need one of these?

It's illegal not to have name tags on your dog, so either way you would need both.

Maybe I'm missing somethng here, but I can't see the point?

Whispered wrote: »

I worry that if my dog did get lost something would happen/could be wrong with his legs so for me being able to list details about his legs (what he's had done and where etc, that he can be protective of his legs) is what made me take interest in these tags. There's a tag loop thing on his harness so I may put it there on the off chance his collar tag was lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It's illegal not to have name tags on your dog, so either way you would need both.

Is it? We gave up ages ago on keeping tags on the dogs. The collies kept breaking them off when playing and the shelties don't wear collars unless we are out walking them and then they just get whatever collar is closest so none of them ever wear tags. We show shelties and no one has collars on them at home to keep their coats sitting right

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Is it? We gave up ages ago on keeping tags on the dogs. The collies kept breaking them off when playing and the shelties don't wear collars unless we are out walking them and then they just get whatever collar is closest so none of them ever wear tags. We show shelties and no one has collars on them at home to keep their coats sitting right

It is illegal for a dog not to have a tag with the owners details on it. It's also very risky not to even if the dog is microchipped. If you got did run off or got lost how is anyone going to return it to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I saw these and thought that they were not a whole lot of use. We have name tags on ours, if you have name tags, with your details, why would you need one of these?

I agree completely, I don't see any significant pro'd.

For instance, I have an engraved disc tag which has the following information:
    If Alone , Im Lost
    3 x phone numbers
    address
    email
    IRL +353 number
    neutered & microchipped

I can't see the need for any more information than that?? My facebook profile? Boards username?

I understand that some dogs need medication or such but you could omit a line of what I included e.g. IRL +353 number

Anyway with something urgent such as medication, I wouldn't leave it to chance by relying on someone to scan a QR code.

I think that if people are invested in having the maximum amount of information on their dog tag, they should considering buying a disk which has the maximum amount of engraving space, while ignoring the "cute" shapes or "fun" slogan tags which reduce the usable space on the tag.

evilmonkee wrote: »
    I think that if people are invested in having the maximum amount of information on their dog tag, they should considering buying a disk which has the maximum amount of engraving space, while ignoring the "cute" shapes or "fun" slogan tags which reduce the usable space on the tag.

The bone ones on identitag are wider than the disks so would fit more imo - I have loads on mine anyways - on both sides lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

tk123 wrote: »
    The bone ones on identitag are wider than the disks so would fit more imo - I have loads on mine anyways - on both sides lol :P

By "disk" I just meant the tag , always called them id disks :o

I meant was avoiding the ones like
    this
    Or these

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

I think they sound ridiculous. The odds that your dog would be found by someone who recognizes a QR code and has a smart phone with the scanning app etc are slim. I think a phone number or maybe two would suffice if somebody found a dog wearing a collar..not a web page with random information about them.

• Advertisement

I use the big, round, white, plastic identitags. They last forever & remain easy to read & easy to spot. Mine have the following message:

"Please call ¨********* immediately as my owner will be looking for me."

On the reverse side is:

"I am neutered & microchipped. Please scan"

I don't want someone looking up info or deciding whether to go to a Vet - I want them to call me straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RudViolet

Name and numbers on a tag are useful if your dog gets lost, of course. But what if your dog is diabetic? or epileptic? What medication is needed? How often? Just think about it all you doubters..... You can give your name and number, your partner's name and number, your mother's name and number, your brother's girlfriend's workmate's friend's name and number PLUS all your dog's dietary/medical needs all in one place for anyone to have access to in the event that your pet has gone missing. Can't get all that info on one regular tag.... AS WELL AS THAT these tags are guaranteed for life. So if your pet's collar and QR code gets eaten by the postman (just sayin) then Furcode will replace it free of charge. No more tags. Ever. And it's not just for those who have or even know what QR readers are. On the reverse side there's a link to a website with the pet's details on it. Don't care how antiquated you are, you'll know SOMEONE who can use the web. You move house? Change phone number? No more having to fork out to get another tag engraved. Ever. All you do is go online and update your details for FREE.
    No.... I don't work for the company. I'm just a very satisfied customer. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I have them for my two, in addition to their regular identitags.

The QR code is on one side of the disk and on the other, a truncated web address that brings up the pet's details. So it doesn't rely on the QR tag alone. And it was just €15 for two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

boomerang wrote: »
    The QR code is on one side of the disk and on the other,
    I literally only learned what a QR code is last week.Really cool for work use when it was explained to me. :p

I don't even know what my phone is called..the 3 something of iPhones. Old iPhone anyway.It's doing fine.I love the idea of this, but people are BARELY putting normally ID tags on their animals, let alone a QR Code.
    I would honestly give €100 to charity for the first pet to be lost and then found through a QR code. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Ollie's dog collar needs replacing so I ordered one of the FurCode ones with the tag on the collar there now. It can't do any harm anyway and it was only $13.

Quick question though, I'm going to order a new normal tag as well (his current one is a slide on) but after looking at the Citizens Information site, it says the following:
    Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc.

I'm not comfortable with that at all. I don't want to be handing out my details like that and also, we're renting at the moment and are due to move in October so it's a bit of a pain in that regard as well. I just want to put down his name, a few numbers and that he's neutered and microchipped. Do you think a dog warden would really issue a fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I never put our address on the dog tags. I have mine and OHs phone numbers and that the dog is chipped and neutered. Don't know if they'd fine but I doubt it very much.

Advertisement