Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Is Dun Laoghaire rough at all, i.e dodgy/notorious streets or areas nearby ??
    Is it's hostels and beach quiet enough ??

I'm spending the night in some hostel with a few mates there on the weekend, but was talking with my Da last night and he told me to " watch yourself down there, it's a rough aul spot". Now I found it hard to believe, as I was in the town center before and it seemed quite upmarket and posh to me. Now maybe that's because I'm used to living in a rough part of west dublin, but should I be cautious when I visit ?
    I usually think like this when in an unfamiliar part of the city, but can someone just tell me what the area is like altogether ?? Give me peace of mind. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Dun Laoghaire (town and harbour area) is very safe. Where are you staying?

What hostel are you staying in?

It's hardly rough, there are a couple of junkies about the place alright but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

jimogr wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire (town and harbour area) is very safe. Where are you staying?

Someone else organised it, so I don't really know, but she said something like "we'll be near or on the beach". So I assume it's near the harbour or it could be near Killiney beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Dún Laoghaire itself isn't a bad spot although it has always attracted certain elements from the surrounding working class areas, mainly junkies that hang around in small groups but they are too out of it to be deemed harmful.

IMO Dún Laoghaire compares favorably to most other parts of Dublin. It's rather a quite town, especially at night where it's pretty much a ghost town with the only flicker of life coming from the few pleasant pubs scattered around the town as well as the local cinema.

Put it this way, I'd feel alot safer walking around Dún Laoghaire alone at night then I would in parts of the City Centre, Tallaght, Blanchardstown or most of the Northside TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dun Laoghaire's grand... except for the ringing ghost of course, it haunts the harbour and chimes the bell every night. Listen out for it if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Great spot, never any trouble during the day and at night the odd messing around Abrakebabra but sure thats the same in any town with an Abrakebabra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Dun Laoghaire definately has a rough element hanging around, mainly junkies on that corner opposite the 46A bus stop beside the church. I've never really seen any trouble apart from some fisticuffs outside Abrakedabra at night time though. Odd town, has some of the most expensive houses in Dublin sitting cheek by jowl with some quite deprived areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Dude, you are staying in a hostel for one night.

Relax, it's not Beirut you are going to. Back in the 80's and 90's DL was a rough spot............just piss heads.

There isnt as much of a nightlife there as there used to be so trouble in infrequent and tame.

If it's the hostel I am thinking of, it's beside a pub/restauaunt (The Purty)

It is usually full of foreign people, you should have something nice to at least look at, if not touch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

To the OP,

Many portions of Dun Laoghaire town are very pleasant including The Peoples Park, the coastal fringe and promenade (excluding The Baths and Carlisle Pier), The Royal Marine Hotel, The Pavilion, The Kingston Hotel and The East Pier. However, the bulk of Dun Laoghaire, especially the main street, is incredibly seedy with an abundance of empty retail units. Any time I pass through the main street, it is crawling with ruffians and the occasional beggar. Additionally, The West Pier looks like it hasn't been refurbished since it was first built. More over, a lot of outdated buildings line the promenade between The Royal Irish Yacht Club and The West Pier including The Irish National Sailing School. The office building for the Irish Sea Fisheries Board is incredibly unsightly and sticks out like a sore thumb. Finally, the rather stringent pay and display scheme makes for a very unwelcoming environment for those coming from afar.

The pity about all of this is that Dun Laoghaire has so much potential to re-establish itself as a prominent coastal hub. The only thing is that there are lots of obstacles to overcome.

As for your second question. I can't say that the town of Dun Laoghaire has it's own beach. The nearest ones are Sandycove and Killiney Beaches. Most of the time, the tide is low on Sandycove Beach and there is lots of seaweed which is particularly bad for those who are squeamish. Killiney Beach is very uncomfortable to use in your bare feet with the amount of rocks and stones along the ground. It too, is very seedy with empty beer cans and graffiti all over the old tea rooms. The old changing rooms have been derelict for well over a decade. Once again, this is potential gone to waste.

I wouldn't really classify Seapoint as a beach by virtue of the fact that it is a bathing facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

^^^^^^

Paddy, good to hear you've nothing bad to say about dun laoghaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Is Eddie in the space time continuum again ? There's some fierce old fashioned terminology being thrown about in this thread.

As someone said above I would feel a whole heap safer walking around DL at night than I would walking around Dublin city centre, so if you take that as a guideline you know you'll be safe.

However, note that if someone actually goes out of their way to look for trouble then they wouldn't have too far to look in DL. Keep the head straight and you will be fine.

If it is the hostel beside the Purty then the worst you can expect (unless you manage to walk for about 15 minutes or more and get really, really unlucky) might be to find yourself on the receiving end of some strong rugby talk if Leinster lose next weekend, or maybe some sort of barrister joke. That's about it.

However, don't come past my house (or on the beach) making noise like some bowsie from the wrong side of town or I'll have to call the local constabulary out of their beds. And we don't want that now, do we ? ;)

Seriously, you can relax and enjoy the weekend. I have to say I find it quite interesting that someone would come to DL for a weekend. Maybe the economy is picking up after all.

z

I wouldn't really classify Seapoint as a beach by virtue of the fact that it is a bathing facility.

Here, head . . . what do you mean Seapoint isn't a beach ? It looks like a beach, it smells like a beach, it has sand, the tide comes in and goes out twice a day just like in the rest of the world. People swim there, kids build sandcastles there. We even have an ice cream van (in the Summer, on occasion). The nice people from DLRCoCo *Beaches* department come along every morning and make sure the place is clean, etc . . .

Sounds like a beach to me.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's a tidal flat, not a beach :pac:

as for DL, just stay away from Sussex st and the park by the bowling green and it's fine.

Can you explain to the non-mensa folks like me what the difference is ? Or, wait, maybe it's not important.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Can you explain to the non-mensa folks like me what the difference is ? Or, wait, maybe it's not important.

no it not, I'm being pedantic for the sake of it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

as for DL, just stay away from Sussex st and the park by the bowling green and it's fine.

Actually does anyone know what they are doing there? The plans say they are building a library but what about the actual park? They cut down all the trees in it so now you can see as well as hear the drunks/junkies in there! :D

draffodx wrote: »
    Actually does anyone know what they are doing there? The plans say they are building a library but what about the actual park? They cut down all the trees in it so now you can see as well as hear the drunks/junkies in there! :D

like everything else in IRL the money is not there anymore. The bowling club was supposed to move up to a newly built green where they are building on the old DL golf course. This is not being built for them so they are not moving so the library is not getting built, last I heard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

The bowls club is moving up to the old golf course soon and the contract for building the new library has been awarded. I think its expected to take two years to build which seems crazy long but all seems to be going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Has the plan for the new library been given the go ahead?
    How on earth such an ugly and outdated design was chosen is beyond me, it will be as ghastly as the shopping centre in my opinion.
    In the current economic climate, a good (actually, a very very good) clear out the pond area with landscaping, lighting and perhaps a layout for evening concerts in the summer would be much better. Along with removing the constant drinks and junkies that frequent the area.

Central_Library.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

There are up to date details of the library development on the council website. I couldn't copy the link on my phone but if you go to www.dlrcoco.ie click on latest news and scroll down to 3rd April there is updated info. Apparently the park is being landscaped so outdoor events will be held there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Here you go. (PDF Document)

It looks good, but from those drawings it looks twice the size of the land available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Dun Laoghaire is about as rough as a bag of kittens. Take it from someone from Coolock, the idea that Dun Laoghaire is rough is laughable. A couple of junkies or alcos here and there does not a rough place make. Any one who thinks that Dun Laoghaire is rough should take a trip to Darndale or Belcamp if they can muster up the courage to take the 27 bus.:D

All sea side towns near major citys have their share of undesirables, Just look at Howth, Bray etc. I still wouldnt call it rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was out in DL last night.

Personally the word i would use for the place is "Dead". I've never seen the place that quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Here you go. (PDF Document)

It looks good, but from those drawings it looks twice the size of the land available.

Cheers, to be honest it looks like a concrete block imported from the UCD campus. But hey, too late now to do anything about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think it looks & sounds completely hideous. Looks like some kind of bland featureless looking blockhouse-style monstrosity. It's almost as if they are afraid to give it any character in case it beomes 'culturally non neutral'.

201802.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's up with Dublin's communist architechture sympathies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

just stay clear of the ducks pound beside the bowl court and you be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I did a lot of security work in Dun Laoghaire over the years. It had a massive heroin problem during the 80's and 90's, a lot of which managed to go over the heads of people who frequented and even lived in the area, but it's a whole lot better now. Most of them have died out.
    A lot of the rougher estates are no longer there or have been refurbished, too.

Other than the odd drunk or the occasional headtheball getting his bus (which you'd get anywhere), it's a grand safe area now.

Although, as others have mentioned, with the amount of businesses closed down it's getting to be a ghost town, which is sad. The St Michael's end of George's st. in particular has been decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brendan Jabbers

I agree with Raekwon about the ghost town thing. I was born and bred there but moved to Manchester at 18. I go back regularly but I was shocked a few years ago when I went out on a FRIDAY night on the main drag there - it was deserted, with rain blowing around George's Street, a really depressing sight. I love the place, and it's really sad to see it run down that way - maybe it's picked up a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I basically live in Dun Laoghaire and the place could not be more of a ghost town, sure ya get the odd person stumbling around after the pub and the occasional late night walker but ya get that everywhere. I personally don't think that it's a rough spot at all

Advertisement