Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

ted1 wrote: »
    Sligo and dun laoighre are hardly cities.

I guess thats why he refers to them as towns in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Alias G wrote: »
    I guess thats why he refers to them as towns in his post.
    Yeah but he also goes on to point out the benefits cities have off pedestrianisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Yeah but he also goes on to point out the benefits cities have off pedestrianisation.

Some of which benefits would no doubt be transferable to the aforementioned towns. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

jimogr wrote: »
    There are no private clampers in Dun Laoghaire. In the town and surrounding area, there are no clampers at all - there are parking tickets - which is run by the council themselves.

The harbour does have clamping, but it is run by the harbour police.

There are private clampers, the surface car park to the rear of Easons (entrance through the Royal Marine Hotel gate) is managed by NCPS.

While I 'll have to grin and bear it, I got clamped yesterday evening at 17.30 in that car park. I honestly thought it expired at 5pm or 6pm (as most others do, except multi storey). Sadly, its marked as a 10pm car park, but given that theres absolutely no lighting it was impossible to read the sticker on the machine which said this. Neither was it written at the entrance where at least my headlightes would've illuminated it.

The car park is in a shocking state:

Deep ruts, filled with water yesterday from the rain
    No lights whatsoever, especially lacking at the pay points
    No barrier
    No markings
    No clearly marked schedules of payment etc

It's appalling that DLR Co Co grant permission (is it even required?) to operate a car park in these conditions. Even worse for NCPS to manage it, it makes them look like cowboys rather than a professional organisation that the profess to be on their website.

Surely there are/should be minimum standards for operating a car park, particularly if you're going to be draconian about enforcing clamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Patrickof wrote: »
    There are private clampers, the surface car park to the rear of Easons (entrance through the Royal Marine Hotel gate) is managed by NCPS.

Yeah, I meant in public areas.

NCPS are cowboys, sorry to hear you got clamped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

While I 'll have to grin and bear it, I got clamped yesterday evening at 17.30 in that car park. I honestly thought it expired at 5pm or 6pm (as most others do, except multi storey). Sadly, its marked as a 10pm car park, but given that theres absolutely no lighting it was impossible to read the sticker on the machine which said this. Neither was it written at the entrance where at least my headlightes would've illuminated it.

No barrier
    No markings

It's appalling that DLR Co Co grant permission (is it even required?) to operate a car park in these conditions. Even worse for NCPS to manage it, it makes them look like cowboys rather than a professional organisation that the profess to be on their website.

Surely there are/should be minimum standards for operating a car park, particularly if you're going to be draconian about enforcing clamping.

Nope, same principle as you regulating parking in your own front garden, i.e. exactly how you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's appalling that DLR Co Co grant permission (is it even required?) to operate a car park in these conditions. Even worse for NCPS to manage it, it makes them look like cowboys rather than a professional organisation that the profess to be on their website..

No need for permission, it's the equivalent of you charging people to park in your driveway. As for NCPS-a professional organisation, they don't even put an address on their website. Why would any reputable company be afraid of putting their business address up? It wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that they might have to deal with customers face to face rather than just being able to hang up the phone or ignore e-mails.

As far as I'm concerned private clamping companies are pure scum, as is anyone who works for them and private clamping should be outlawed, similar to France and Scotland.

Edit: just checked, they actually have a registered address on their website now. This is definately a new thing, ie within the last 6 months.

What I can't believe is that its completly unregulated. If I were to open a coffee stall I'd have to comply with some sort of regulations, it appears anyone can open a car park without any sort of minimum standards being applied.

Actually the site that car park is on falls under the remit of the Derelict Sites Act 1990, and the council would be perfectly within their rights to have it closed down and subject to the derelict sites levy.

Someone will hurt themselves on that site, its not good enough to state there's no regulations covering the operation of private car parks. If you charge for a service and that service is available to the public then there should be regulations in place to ensure its done correctly. Especially where heavy machinery (cars!!) and the public are involved.

I'm surprised that those legitimate operators who spent a fortune developing proper multi-story car parks close by aren't too fond if it either.

I know where I'll park in future.

Does anyone even know who owns it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lechiennoir

On a sunny day, there is no better place to be in Dublin than Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement

No barrier
    No markings

Update: I appealed the clamping fine firstly to NCPS who unsurprisingly rejected my appeal. Then I followed the procedure, paid my €20 and appealed to the "independent" parking appeals body - and they granted my appeal!!!!

Cheque for €140 (120 fine plus 20 appeal fee) arrived in the post earlier this week!!!!!!!

Basically I argued that the lack of lighting meant that the terms and conditions of the parking were not clearly visible and the lack of a barrier meant that I had not explicitly entered into a contract to adhere to the T&Cs (the taking of a ticket and passing through of a barrier are considered an acceptance of the parking facilities T&Cs). Quoted a bit of case law too.

If anyone is interested I can post the full text of my appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Gabrielle2010

Hi, I was clamped here after paying on my app, however it was not processed and I only realised this at the end of the day. I have a history of always paying as I work in the area and I want to appeal it on the grounds that my intention was to pay it but the app malfuntioned etc and use your text as well please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

It's a very old thread, you should really start a new one.

Afaik though it's really up to you to ensure you've paid so it's likely your appeal would be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Gabrielle2010

It's a very old thread, you should really start a new one.

Afaik though it's really up to you to ensure you've paid so it's likely your appeal would be rejected.

Thanks, I was trying to get Patrick's help with regards to the appeal as he said to contact him with help on the appeal. I did in fact pay and the the application I used -'park by text' said 'successful'. As I said it malfunctioned. I was told by the clampers to take it up with the app company. I pay for my parking everyday so can demonstrate I pay daily. There is a difference where a person's intention is not to pay for parking and the opposite where they make efforts to pay for parking and therefore their intention was to pay and not evade rules or contracts etc and there are cases in law but I'm not going to go into that thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I see the members of the the ex Morons Park floating tin and stagnant pond fame have, have found another beauty spot to commondere and destroy. The new prime location 'no go' area is down on the sea-front more or less opposite the Kingston Hotel.

There is a daily meeting after which the place is destroyed with heaps of cans, plastic bottles and strewn rubbish. All of which ends up in OUR SEAS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Chinasea wrote: »
    I see the members of the the ex Morons Park floating tin and stagnant pond fame have, have found another beauty spot to commondere and destroy. The new prime location 'no go' area is down on the sea-front more or less opposite the Kingston Hotel.

There is a daily meeting after which the place is destroyed with heaps of cans, plastic bottles and strewn rubbish. All of which ends up in OUR SEAS.

Yeah I saw them there at the weekend, absolute scum. There is a bin literally 20 metres from where they were but they chuck their rubbish into the sea instead of into the bin. Something needs to be done about them because it's a real eye sore, especially for tourists who visit the sea front. All the Guards can do is move them on though and they will be back in the same spot within an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yeah I saw them there at the weekend, absolute scum. There is a bin literally 20 metres from where they were but they chuck their rubbish into the sea instead of into the bin. Something needs to be done about them because it's a real eye sore, especially for tourists who visit the sea front. All the Guards can do is move them on though and they will be back in the same spot within an hour or two.

They could fine them for littering , then get them charged for non payment and apply a custodial sentence

Weather will be changing soon enough, cant see even those hardy souls putting up with the seafront in November!

They could fine them for littering , then get them charged for non payment and apply a custodial sentence

As if.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Are youse all blowins or what?!? They are drinking down there years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Nothing new there, I presume you're talking about the dilapidated part of the seafront.

They drank and drugged up down there for years. And I'm sorry, but winter doesn't stop them either - they're like the Dun Laoghaires white walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

A cull is badly needed. I get the dart from town into Dalkey 3 mornings a week and it's the same usual suspects getting off at DL every day. All at our expense. Country is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A cull is badly needed. I get the dart from town into Dalkey 3 mornings a week and it's the same usual suspects getting off at DL every day. All at our expense. Country is a joke.

There must be something about the seaside that attracts these pondlife.

An old colleague used to work in the job centre in Weymouth and it was similar there .

A cull? As in an actual cull? Are you a nutter?

Reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Reported?

Talk about feigned outrage. How about some homeless shelters and methadone clinics placed next door to you?

Has anybody ever seen the litter warden down there? Surely that would be a start.

It would be great to see him patrolling down there and talking to the individuals, it is not that hard to guess when they will conjugate and throw their litter around unabated.

Now that the weather is getting nicer (not that they ever went away)have noticed the ex Moran's Park crew are holding their committee meetings down on the seafront between the cannon on the pier and the old baths. The place was ABSOLUTELY filthy. Cans, bottles, Burger King containers everywhere.

Tracked down the harbour police. It is not their jurisdiction. Anyways they are dillingintly giving out parking fines whilst ignoring anti-social behaviour.

Rang the Garda. Now I know they are very stretched, but it bugs me that the only way they break up the daily litter fest meetings is if someone phones them and reports them.

Are Dun Laoghaire citizens so apathetic that they stand back and let this become the new no go-area.

Clearly you aren't and in all seriousness, fair play to you.

Perhaps make a submission to the DLR joint policing committee about the vagrancy, the loitering and the littering.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Clearly you aren't and in all seriousness, fair play to you.

Perhaps make a submission to the DLR joint policing committee about the vagrancy, the loitering and the littering.

Have emailed, phoned, written but to no avail and would ask others to do so. This is just not acceptable. Have seen a few of them sitting behind the planting now on the top deck near the lift to the car-park at the new library. They are branching out.

The dogs on the streets know that this daily scourge is taking place and it is going to continue unless the problem is sat on. A few calls from me is not going to solve this, I can't do it alone. I urge others to follow up also. It is simply being tolerated by us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement