Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the FECK is there not Private Plates here?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Syllabus wrote: »
    by that thinking we should all have the same haircut or ringtone on the mobile or all wear the same clothes

Actually, no, it doesn't suggest that at all, it simply suggests that the current system works fine but has no place for private plates, if you had read my other posts in this thread you'd find I am not against the idea of private plates just the integration of them into the current system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

draffodx wrote: »
    Actually, no, it doesn't suggest that at all, it simply suggests that the current system works fine but has no place for private plates, if you had read my other posts in this thread you'd find I am not against the idea of private plates just the integration of them into the current system.

"Having private plates serve no legitimate purpose."

nor does having an individual ringtone or haircut as i said but people do it because they want to stand out or be different.

people, on a daily basis, do things that serve no legitimate purpose. if they didn't we would have nothing different or interesting to do or look at.

the op was suggesting ways to increase revenue and in turn give a certain niche of people what they want. it may not be to your personal taste but it was a valid suggestion

imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

creedp wrote: »
    The next NB step for this nanny state is to direct that we all drive a 1.6tdci silver focus .. looking fwd to it!

Maybe it sounds like absurd for most of ya, but that exactly what my parents were encountering.
    When they were buying their first car, they had a choice between fiat 125 or fiat 126. Nothing else was available. Also even though they had money for the car, they had to wait on waiting list, for few years, as factory wasn't quick enough to produce cars in line with demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's all down to the fact that Ireland is run by a bunch of out of touch loons who are in the pockets of vested interests such as the SIMI.

I can buy a BG private plate for €3500 if I wanted to. All you are allowed do is change the last 6 characters. You still have to keep the region code (first 1 or 2 letters) You can use numbers or only letters common to both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets so that is only А, В, Е, К, М, Н, О, Р, С, Т, У, Х you can choose from.

Since my plate does not tell the year I can't be arsed sending that kind of money.

I can buy a BG private plate for €3500 if I wanted to. All you are allowed do is change the last 6 characters. You still have to keep the region code (first 1 or 2 letters) You can use numbers or only letters common to both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets so that is only А, В, Е, К, М, Н, О, Р, С, Т, У, Х you can choose from.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    €3500
    Does anyone buy that?

In Poland it works similar (you can alter last 5 characters on a plate but have to keep first two for area code) but it costs olny €250 and even though very few drivers decide to go for it.

I was thinking once of getting K0-CINIO but eventually didn't bother ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Syllabus wrote: »
    "Having private plates serve no legitimate purpose."

nor does having an individual ringtone or haircut as i said but people do it because they want to stand out or be different.

people, on a daily basis, do things that serve no legitimate purpose. if they didn't we would have nothing different or interesting to do or look at.

the op was suggesting ways to increase revenue and in turn give a certain niche of people what they want. it may not be to your personal taste but it was a valid suggestion

imo

But a ring tone or a haircut has no other purpose other than personal preference, registration plates do. The comparison is not valid. For registration plates a uniform shape and layout is required to make them easily understandable so that anyone looking at one knows exactly what it means.

Private plates to me are in the same vein as in the UK where people start taking the letters and manipulating them making them look like numbers and vice versa to make a plate look like its says something. It's messy and not easily distinguishable.

I agree the OP's suggestion is valid, it's just not valid within our current system and an alternative that is as easily identifiable and efficient as our current one but includes private plates was not put forward. Since then some ideas have been put forward which I have stated look like they might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The current system condenses the busy period for new car dealers to Jan-March, then a slight drop off for Apr-Jun, after that almost everyone who wants to get a brand new car will wait the few months to get a newer reg in Jan/Feb the next year.

It seems stupid but it does keep the whole 'Keeping up with the Joneses' aspect going, and if the year wasn't on there SIMI and co correctly have figured out that total new car sales would drop considerably and second-hand car sales would pick up considerably.

The best way for private plates to work is the American system where the plate is linked to you and not the car, so if you buy a new/ secondhand car you put your licence plate on it until you sell it and then you put your plate on your next car. This allows for totally original (and readable)private plates like they have there but there's no hope SIMI are gonna let the year be dropped so it'll never happen here.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The current system condenses the busy period for new car dealers to Jan-March, then a slight drop off for Apr-Jun, after that almost everyone who wants to get a brand new car will wait the few months to get a newer reg in Jan/Feb the next year.

It seems stupid but it does keep the whole 'Keeping up with the Joneses' aspect going, and if the year wasn't on there SIMI and co correctly have figured out that total new car sales would drop considerably and second-hand car sales would pick up considerably.

The best way for private plates to work is the American system where the plate is linked to you and not the car, so if you buy a new/ secondhand car you put your licence plate on it until you sell it and then you put your plate on your next car. This allows for totally original (and readable)private plates like they have there but there's no hope SIMI are gonna let the year be dropped so it'll never happen here.

Is there actually any other country than Ireland and UK where number plate reveals date of first registration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

CiniO wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    €3500
    Does anyone buy that?

In Poland it works similar (you can alter last 5 characters on a plate but have to keep first two for area code) but it costs olny €250 and even though very few drivers decide to go for it.

I was thinking once of getting K0-CINIO but eventually didn't bother ;)
    I have only ever seen them on mafia cars. No one in their right mind would pay that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

2ndcoming wrote: »
    if the year wasn't on there SIMI and co correctly have figured out that total new car sales would drop considerably and second-hand car sales would pick up considerably.

I don't doubt for a second that this is what SIMI believes, but personally I think it's utter tripe. People that buy new cars, buy new cars; people that buy used, buy used. Snobs will remain snobs, reps will remain reps, the rich will remain rich, and the rest of us will remain the rest of us. If anything, sales would simply even out over the year, which would probably work out better for them in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Declan Lander

I have only ever seen them on mafia cars.

Perfect for Ireland then, seeing as the Irish mafia now run it for the benefit of their IMF loansharks.

Advertisement