Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you an alcoholic?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

You answered 11 items out of 20 Yes.

Your score is 55%. According to the Office of Health Care Programs, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, developers of this screening quiz, if you answered as few as 3 of these questions with a Yes it is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. Since you answered more than 3 questions Yes you should seek an evaluation by a healthcare professional.

Utter bollocks. Retarded 'quiz'.

What does the question about 'turning to inferior people and environments' or something mean, though? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm an Irish social drinker, which translates to an American alcoholic.

Agreed. This sums up my feeling to it at all. I don't like the term alcoholic. Alcoholics exist, of course they do, and it's a serious problem if you are one but, I think it's branded around far too much these days. It's yet another sensationalising everything thanks to domineering American culture and TV. All this Rehab bollocks that American's sprout is a load of rubbish. It seems to be the answer to everything.

Standard American TV show

"Dude I drank so much last night man.

No way man. You gotta get your ass to rehab man. This can be like your intervention man.

Yeah man I must be at the lowest of the low man.

*2 days later*

Yeah I'm out man. Woo! *high fives friend* I'm on a 12 step programme now man. I've got my sponsor dude.

I'm proud of you man woo!"

*end of character story arc* :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

brummytom wrote: »

What does the question about 'turning to inferior people and environments' or something mean, though? :confused:

Sitting on a bench drinking methylated spirits out of a paper bag with the winos :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

"You answered 13 items out of 20 Yes.
    Your score is 65%. According to the Office of Health Care Programs, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, developers of this screening quiz, if you answered as few as 3 of these questions with a Yes it is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. Since you answered more than half of these questions Yes you should definitely seek an evaluation by a healthcare professional as soon as possible"

I'm fooked anyway lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

the questions are too vague for it to be a reliable indicator that you have a drinking problem.
    Agreed. One I answered yes to was along the lines of "Have you ended up in hospital because of drinking?".

I have. One night, when very drunk, I got in a fight and ended up with a broken nose. To me, it was an indirect result of drinking. I think the question means "Did you ever get so drunk you had to have your stomach pumped?", which, in my case, is no.

However, the vagueness of the question means you'd probably fail a lie detector test if you said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I assumed it meant that point in the night where you end up with people you don't really like, telling them how much you love them. Happens to me a lot...

I got 8 and I'm an alcoholic. It's all so clear now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

No.
    Alcochoics go to meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Agreed. One I answered yes to was along the lines of "Have you ended up in hospital because of drinking?".

I have. One night, when very drunk, I got in a fight and ended up with a broken nose. To me, it was an indirect result of drinking. I think the question means "Did you ever get so drunk you had to have your stomach pumped?", which, in my case, is no.

However, the vagueness of the question means you'd probably fail a lie detector test if you said no.

LOL, just noticed your user name. So, is it true? Are you really a 'real cool cat and do you live on top of Manhatten chase'?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

only have a drink problem when i dont have any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

thats a load of horse sh**e...if ya answered 3 your an alco....that would surely make us all pissheads....right im off for a few cans..yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

No, but I would have been if I hadn't radically changed how I drank. Plus there's a long history of alcoholism in the family so I took that to be an added warning sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I answered 3 questions with a yes so I'm on the slippery slope :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

By american standards Id need Rehab, by irish standards im perfectly normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Got 12/20
    Should probably calm down... but that's nothing new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

That survey is just lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Quitting is for losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Puritanical bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

LOL, just noticed your user name. So, is it true? Are you really a 'real cool cat and do you live on top of Manhatten chase'?:D
    My mom says I'm cool and I live above a nightclub for Eastern European snobs.

So it's possible.

PS. Delighted someone gets the reference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

knacker drinking

Students ,cider, park

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless your drinking is affecting your
    • Health
    • Finances
    • Relationships
    • Job Performance
    • Mood/Self Esteem

You're NOT an alcoholic
    you're a functioning alcoholic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ya mightn't be an alcoholic, you could be a problem drinker or something.

Unlikely as that test looks like a load of c*ck anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Sharrow wrote: »
    No.
    Alcochoics go to meetings.

Drunks go to parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I used to smoke. I was addicted to nicotine, and the first thing i did when I woke up in the morning was have a smoke. Before tea, before water, or orange juice. Thats addiction.

I drink regularly, but I manage to get through breakfast, lunch and often dinner without a drink. Thats not addiction. I can do a days work, or on a saturday do a day of cleaning, shopping etc with out even wanting or fancying a drink. Thats not addiction. I answered about 3 out of the 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

i don't need to do the test, the answer is yes ,i am an alcoholic but a functioning one :) and to be honest, i function better having a few pints than if i don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Absolute crock of MERDE...I drink 5 out of 7 days average, brew my own beer & answered honestly yes to 2 questions !
    I'm a highly functioning alcoholic :D

Advertisement