Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Is A Better Option?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

For weeks I've been waiting to buy this laptop: http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/17_18_inch/80003465/asus_17_3_n73sm_tz035v_i7_2670m_8gb_750gb/details.aspx

But now I'm second guessing and wondering will I be better off building my own desktop for the same price (€750, that's how much I was going to pay for laptop in the link)? Would it perform better than the laptop or would I be able to get a rig with similar specs to the laptop (with GPU upgrade) for a cheaper price?

Was planning on buying components from www.elara.ie Anyone here used them? Is there somewhere cheaper/better to buy from?

Is it even possible to build an i7/gtx desktop for the same price?

1. What is your budget? [€750 but if I really like it I can be flexible as long as it's not way over budget]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming and everyday use. Games such as Diablo III, Call of duty, would like to be able to able to play graphic intense games too though eg battlefield 3]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22+]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [Whener I find a build I like]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Dublin City]

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm not of much help here cause I'm on my phone, but I'm curious as to how you're going to get that laptop for €750?

also, don't be sold on i7 and gtx marketing. that laptop has one of the best mobile CPUs money can buy, but a relatively cheap desktop quad core will run circles around it, especially in games.

elara is a bit on the expensive side. we generally use hardwareversand.de and scan.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'm not of much help here cause I'm on my phone, but I'm curious as to how you're going to get that laptop for €750?

also, don't be sold on i7 and gtx marketing. that laptop has one of the best mobile CPUs money can buy, but a relatively cheap desktop quad core will run circles around it, especially in games.

elara is a bit on the expensive side. we generally use hardwareversand.de and scan.co.uk

I was going to get it ex. Vat.

I realise everything I listed is probably a bit optimistic for the price, but I'm just looking for the best performance/price ratio

Eboggles wrote: »

Thanks for the reply man but is it just me being tired or is that build lacking a harddrive?

Thanks for the reply man but is it just me being tired or is that build lacking a harddrive?

Yeah it is, I'm a bit slow today :o. Throw this in or get the 1tb version if you need more space. If it's ex-VAT you might be able to squeeze a bit more in, maybe an SSD or better graphics card?

• Advertisement

Yeah it is, I'm a bit slow today :o. Throw this in or get the 1tb version if you need more space. If it's ex-VAT you might be able to squeeze a bit more in, maybe an SSD or better graphics card?

Well I like your build the way it is, I'll probably just put the 500gb in and leave it as is. Not sure I'll be able to get this one ex-VAT so I suppose I can do without SSD and save a bit.

Would like to see some other builds before I commit but really appreciate your input man

There's always room for upgrades down the line though if I decide yeah?

Well I like your build the way it is, I'll probably just put the 500gb in and leave it as is. Not sure I'll be able to get this one ex-VAT so I suppose I can do without SSD and save a bit.

Would like to see some other builds before I commit but really appreciate your input man

There's always room for upgrades down the lime though if I decide yeah?
    Yeah there isn't much room in the CPU derpartment as that is the best for what you're doing without overclocking, however you could (in a while) decide you want to take gaming up a notch and get a beefy graphics card like a GTX 680 or 7970. Though if you were to get that you'll have to upgrade your PSU to this (not the first choice as its very expensive but the alternatives are out of stock; see Super Flower Amazon 550 watt)
    Or you could drop in an SSD for a very noticeable difference in day-to-day computing.

Yeah there isn't much room in the CPU derpartment as that is the best for what you're doing without overclocking, however you could (in a while) decide you want to take gaming up a notch and get a beefy graphics card like a GTX 680 or 7970. Though if you were to get that you'll have to upgrade your PSU to this (not the first choice as its very expensive but the alternatives are out of stock; see Super Flower Amazon 550 watt)
    Or you could drop in an SSD for a very noticeable difference in day-to-day computing.

Hmmm, might put a 128ssd in instead of a HD. I don't store much on my internal anyway, would probably be a better option, and the price isn't a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Maybe scale down the GPU slightly to a 6870/50 and get the i5-2500k instead? For future proofing sake?

Jaafa wrote: »
    Maybe scale down the GPU slightly to a 6870/50 and get the i5-2500k instead? For future proofing sake?

I'm open to other build suggestions

• Advertisement

I'm open to other build suggestions

Well 6870 is about 50 euro cheaper than 560ti and has almost the same performance If I understand correctly. 6850 is a little worse again but it's price is around the 100 euro mark.

In contrast the i5-2500k with the ability to over clock is a a lot better than the i5-2400. And it is around the 200 euro mark.

EDIT: then again you would need a different Mobo, add another 50 euro on top of that. Still I personally think it's worth it.

Here's another build which I like as well:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155
    Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    GPU: Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    HD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 6,4cm (2,5") SATA3
    RAM: 8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9
    PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2, 600 Watt
    Case: NZXT SOURCE 210 Midi-Tower - black, ATX,
    Optical: LG GH24NS bare schwarz
    Monitor: Acer G225HQVbd
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Re-Spawn, USB, 3500 dpi
    Keyboard: Razer Arctosa Gaming Keyboard Black, USB, silver

Comes to €883 after delivery and factory assembly.

What ya think?

Jaafa wrote: »
    Well 6870 is about 50 euro cheaper than 560ti and has almost the same performance If I understand correctly. 6850 is a little worse again but it's price is around the 100 euro mark.

In contrast the i5-2500k with the ability to over clock is a a lot better than the i5-2400. And it is around the 200 euro mark.

EDIT: then again you would need a different Mobo, add another 50 euro on top of that. Still I personally think it's worth it.

Point taken on the 6870, but there's no overclocking involved so the i5 2400 is the top dog.

Point taken on the 6870, but there's no overclocking involved so the i5 2400 is the top dog.

Yeah, for his needs I guess the 6870 will do, no great need for the 2500k really.

Advertisement