Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gadget to connect to VGA/DVI monitor to display Powerpoint slideshow etc

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,
    I'm not sure if such a thing exists - but is there any form of gadget out there that I can connect to a standard LCD Monitor that will be capable of running a powerpoint slideshow?

I suppose I really need to use a netbook of some form, but as all I need to do is show powerpoint on a continuous loop, a cheap gadget would be better.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Speeds!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I seriously doubt that such a device exists but that said, wouldn't be at all surprised if someone finds you something on dealextreme.com or similar.

Realistically though, anyone whose job involves giving presentations already has some kind of a Windows or Mac laptop or netbook so there is virtually no market for what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie

Yeah, I sort of thought it was a dumb idea. The thing is, it's not a real presentation that is being shown, just a looping slideshow.

Space will be at a premium, but I guess I'll just have to shoehorn a netbook in there.

Speeds
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Maybe you could find a digital camera with a mini HMDI output that has some sort of 'dispay pictures as slideshow' option?

Good idea longhalloween, I'll look into that one!

Speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

If you get your hands on a cheap media player with HDMI-out (e.g. http://lacuna.ie/epages/950002183.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002183/Products/Micro2%2B), then you should be able to convert your Powerpoint presentation from .pps format into .avi and just loop it.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP did mention a 'standard LCD monitor' which suggests to me that it's a bog-standard PC screen with a VGA port and nothing else, he never mentioned a TV.

Yes, it is a standard lcd monitor with a VGA and DVI input, but I may be able to get my hands on a hdmi-vga converter.

Or live with the space constraints & just use a netbook!

Speeds

Speedsie wrote: »
    Yes, it is a standard lcd monitor with a VGA and DVI input, but I may be able to get my hands on a hdmi-vga converter.

Make sure that it's a converter and not a plain 'adapter'. VGA is an analogue video (only) signal, HDMI is digital and can contain both video and audio so it's generally not possible to do the conversion with an adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if the lcd screen is near active network ports a vga to-ethernet-to-vga solution could work. Bit of set up involved though

http://www.minicomdigitalsignage.com/av_vdt.htm

Personally, I have couple of phones (N95 and N900) that will output their display to composite video and I'd probably try do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

As suggested above the cheapest way to go would be to convert the ppt to a video file and play it back on a little media player like this. In a few months time when they are readily available the obvious answer to this problem will be a raspberry pi however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement