Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr simms stores

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Bump, sorry does anyone know the number to Mr Simms in relation to the new rathmines store?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pc75

Hi all I have a quick question in regards to mr. simms. I was recently in the mr simms in dame street and bought a mixture of some of the old greats. I got talking to server and ask him were the sweets were made and he said Ireland. I then asked him were in Ireland they were made and by who and he said he didnt know. I brought the sweets back to my office. I was talking to one of my colleagues about mr simms and he said to me that they are not made in ireland. could some please share some information on this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pc75, one post is enough. I've deleted your other one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

pretty sure Mr. Simms is a UK franchise, so I doubt they are Irish sweets.

The Mr. Simms shop in Tralee is now renamed to Mr. Duffys Sweet shop. I heard the Mr Simms franchise is gone in Ireland and all the shops are now renamed independently...not sure how true it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 moyvilla1

Hi guys,
    The majority of the sweets in the various sweet shops throughout Ireland ( aunty nellies, mr Simms, mr Duffy etc.) are made in the same factories in England. They maybe sourced through different Irish wholesalers but they all ultimately start out from the same place.
    Also the Mr Simms franchise is not gone from Ireland. They recently opened in dame street in Dublin with more planned in the near future throughout Ireland. Currently they are in Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny, Bandon, Macroom and Fermoy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

moyvilla1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    The majority of the sweets in the various sweet shops throughout Ireland ( aunty nellies, mr Simms, mr Duffy etc.) are made in the same factories in England. They maybe sourced through different Irish wholesalers but they all ultimately start out from the same place.
    Also the Mr Simms franchise is not gone from Ireland. They recently opened in dame street in Dublin with more planned in the near future throughout Ireland. Currently they are in Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny, Bandon, Macroom and Fermoy.

I heard the one in Cork is renamed, but don't know if info correct as I don't live there! I guess some have just decided to go the independent route. The one in Tralee only opened around August, so seems quite soon for it to loose the franchise already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 moyvilla1

No the one in Cork is still there on Oliver Plunkett street. Aunty Nellies recently moved location from North main street to Paul street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

the one in ennis co clare is renamed to mr duffys

the one in ennis co clare is renamed to mr duffys

interesting! I just thought the one in Tralee was owned by a Mr. Duffy and he renamed it haha!! Must be a new franchise then.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

pc75 wrote: »
    Hi all I have a quick question in regards to mr. simms. I was recently in the mr simms in dame street and bought a mixture of some of the old greats. I got talking to server and ask him were the sweets were made and he said Ireland. I then asked him were in Ireland they were made and by who and he said he didnt know. I brought the sweets back to my office. I was talking to one of my colleagues about mr simms and he said to me that they are not made in ireland. could some please share some information on this?
    Depends on what you buy, jellies are all made outside the 32 counties. Plenty of great artisan chocolates made in Ireland. Many of the boiled sweets made here too, sour apple drops, chocolate cushions/satins and clove drops are pretty particular to Ireland and there are 3 or 4 manufacturers here. Macaroon Bars/Klipso/Mint Crisp/Winner/Giggler bars, Tea Cakes/Whippers/Snowballs all made in Ireland by 2 manufacturers. I think LLC gums are Irish made too. I miss the Hiker's Lunch choc from the 70s :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

To be honest, I think the whole lot of them are rip-offs. Sweets-by-weight never go down well with a wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

yeah i think they will all gradually close or have to be reinvented due to their price - they are a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Yeah i wonder how well the one in Rathmines do when the schools close for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 StephanR

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Depends on what you buy, jellies are all made outside the 32 counties. Plenty of great artisan chocolates made in Ireland. Many of the boiled sweets made here too, sour apple drops, chocolate cushions/satins and clove drops are pretty particular to Ireland and there are 3 or 4 manufacturers here. Macaroon Bars/Klipso/Mint Crisp/Winner/Giggler bars, Tea Cakes/Whippers/Snowballs all made in Ireland by 2 manufacturers. I think LLC gums are Irish made too. I miss the Hiker's Lunch choc from the 70s :-)

Spot on! Cleeve's toffee is also being produced again so that is a nice alternative to Britain's Walker's toffee... All of the sweets being supplied to the Mr. Duffy's franchise are through Irish suppliers; they have a much larger range of Irish products than Mr. Simm's (who are supplied through UK manufacturers) so they can safely be considered more 'Irish'!

Advertisement