Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins to Cash machine in Dublin 2 area?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Does anyone out there know where there is one of those machines you can dump your change into and it counts it and gives you a voucher for the cash total (less the commission of course) in the Dublin 2 / Stephens Green area?

I've two pint glasses of coppers on my desk that I want to cash in.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

whatnext wrote: »
    Does anyone out there know where there is one of those machines you can dump your change into and it counts it and gives you a voucher for the cash total (less the commission of course) in the Dublin 2 / Stephens Green area?

There's one of them in Centra, Camden St afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I think most shops do them now, Centra's especially.

Tbh your better off getting money bags out of the bank and sorting it yourself - that way you will pay no commission cause as far as I know the machines in the shop you have to pay commission (sure why else would they have them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If you're prepared to cross the Liffey then Tesco in Jervis centre has one. Perhaps Dunnes in SG centre too - may be worth a call to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I think most shops do them now, Centra's especially.

Tbh your better off getting money bags out of the bank and sorting it yourself - that way you will pay no commission cause as far as I know the machines in the shop you have to pay commission (sure why else would they have them)

I thought that re the Centra's but I've looked in a few of the local ones without luck.

I have bagged all the larger coins but there's no chance of me doing the coppers, I'd be here for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tesco on Lower Baggot St have one IIRC. Might be worth calling to confirm. Usually you can get the full value to spend in store or cash less their (hefty) commission.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

The Centra, beside the off licence, up near Zaytoon on Camden Street has one. 12.5% commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Centra on Thonas Street has one too 12.5% commission AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Coins are cash. :mad:

But yeah - Centra on Thomas St. has one. That's nearly Dublin 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Instead of losing money on commission, just throw the jar of coins into the self service checkout when you next do your shopping at Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Joko wrote: »
    Instead of losing money on commission, just throw the jar of coins into the self service checkout when you next do your shopping at Tesco.
    The tesco ones are crap, put a handful in at the same time and it just spits it back at you. I've noticed with the Dunnes ones if you get to just below what you have to pay, the put in a note for the final few cent it'll give you large coins back (not the coppers you put in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Coins are cash. :mad:

But yeah - Centra on Thomas St. has one. That's nearly Dublin 2.

Its a figure of speech I picked abroad, these machines were plastered with the phrase "coins to cash"

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

I'd hazard a guess and say it takes around an hour to sort through coppers and bag €15 worth. If you have €50, that's around three hours of work for a saving of €6.25 so you're effectively working for €2.08 an hour - roughly a quarter of the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dunnes Stephen's Green. Don't forget they take over 10% commission. This Dunnes has self-service checkouts (only one other Dunnes has) so you could use them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Its a figure of speech I picked abroad, these machines were plastered with the phrase "coins to cash"

Oh yeah - I wasn't directing it at you. I just think it's hilarious the way they try to imply that coins somehow can't be used as legal tender.

"Sick of all those pesky useless coins in your pocket? What can you do with them? NOTHING!!! Turn them into handy, useful CASH and give us a percentage!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Well ... they are handy. I had a big bowl of sub 50c coins building up over 6 months, after Xmas. I took it to Tesco where they charge 10%. I planned to give the result to charity.

It took about 3 minutes to process the coins and bingo I got 13 euros ! When I saw that I chickened out from charity and spent it on food ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You only pay commission if you take the total in notes or large coins. You can get 100% of the coin value if you spend it instore, in Tesco anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Where's the one in Tesco Jervis St, couldn't find it yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

Gillo wrote: »
    Where's the one in Tesco Jervis St, couldn't find it yesterday?

After going through the tills, on the right hand side of the escalator going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

formernyer wrote: »
    After going through the tills, on the right hand side of the escalator going up.

Sorry to necro but are they still there? Dont feel like lugging 6 or 7kg of copper in just to bring it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

ED E wrote: »
    Sorry to necro but are they still there? Dont feel like lugging 6 or 7kg of copper in just to bring it home.

Yes, still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement