Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red And Yellow cards with infraction

Options
  • 10-04-2012 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi!

I wish to appeal a red/yellow card I received from PDN in the Christianity forum.

On Sunday, I was infracted by PDN and given both a red and yellow card for offences which I don't think justify the handing out of these cards, particularly the red one. I was posting on the Abortion thread, and a guy came on and started ridiculing Christianity and the unborn so I typed these posts:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Declan Lander
    You religious types are the nutters, I live in reality.

By making flippant, short posts like that, you undermine the group you support even more.

You may think you live in 'reality', but judging from your posts, it seems you live in a world where idiocy and ignorance reigns.

And:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Declan Lander
    That's religion, I don't inhabit your sky fairy mumbo jumbo world. So off you go to pray to Odin, Thor, Neptune, Mars or Zues, or whatever the current fashion is. Abortion on request is coming to Ireland, like it or not.

Just what I'd expect from a childish poster like you. That's paganism, not Christianity.

I have put both of my replies in bold. The first one earned me a red, the second, a yellow.

I am always so careful never to offend anyone on the internet, as I explained to PDN. I never called him an idiot or ignorant. I simply suggested that he more or less lives in 'dreamland', or so to speak.

I know that you will be hesitant to overturn PDN's decision, but I just wanted to try at least. It bothers me that quite a light comment like this earned me a red. I have never gotten one before, and don't like to have a mark like that against my name.

I have apologised. I got upset in the thread because this guy insulted my faith and God. Given the day that's in it, I replied with a bit of a sting, but I truly regret it now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please consider overturning this decision-I just think it is overly harsh!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you contacted PDN about the cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Dades wrote: »
    Have you contacted PDN about the cards?

Yes, I sent him multiple PMs on Sunday. I asked him in my last PM whether he would consider removing at least the red card, but I never received a reply.

I apologised to PDN for my rather mild offence and I don't even post in the thread anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Yes, I sent him multiple PMs on Sunday. I asked him in my last PM whether he would consider removing at least the red card, but I never received a reply.

I apologised to PDN for my rather mild offence and I don't even post in the thread anymore.

(Note to Admins: Responding here, as invited to by Dades)

According to your PMs (which I did respond to) you were disputing the red card, not the yellow card. The primary reasons you gave for why the card should be rescinded appeared to be that you are a good Christian, that you go to mass and say the rosary, and that the other poster was attacking your faith. You also stated that in infracting you I was using my own bias - something I don't quite understand since the thread was about abortion and, like you, I am firmly anti-abortion.

When you asked me to reconsider the red card I stated that, in my opinion, the infraction was justified, but you were free to appeal to a Catmod if you chose. You then sent me another PM stating that you didn't agree with me. I didn't respond to that last PM because we could go on forever exchanging PMs saying, "Yes it is justified" "No, it isn't" etc.

The reason you were red carded was precisely because I was attempting to moderate the forum without bias. Just because you are a Christian, I cannot go easy on you when I am infracting an atheist for similar behaviour. Both you and the other poster were being rude and abusive to each other, and the situation was escalating. The other poster, for what it's worth, received several infractions. He was undoubtedly trolling. But, by taking his bait and responding in kind, you were contributing to the chaos. It would have been manifestly unfair for me to infract him and yet to give you a free pass, no matter how many rosaries you might say or how many times you attend mass.

PDN wrote: »
    It would have been manifestly unfair for me to infract him and yet to give you a free pass, no matter how many rosaries you might say or how many times you attend mass.
    I think this is the key to the issue here.

Mods get roasted all the time for "inconsistency", so in cases where two parties are involved in verbal, the safest thing is to deal with both in the same way. It doesn't matter that the other poster seems to be a troll. Just proves the point that troll posts should be reported, not responded to. And especially not responded to in kind.

So Medicine333, while it might seem as though the scales of justice are unbalanced, you have actually experienced consistency in action. If PDN lifted your cards following a PM conversation, your posts would potentially stand as testament to what *certain* posters can get away with, if someone took umbrage to a card they received.

If you want to appeal this further, say so, and an admin will take a look.

Dades

I never said you didn't respond to my PMs, only that you failed to answer my last PM.

As far as me trying to justify my behaviour by saying that I go to Mass and say the Rosary, that is simply untrue, and very insulting to me. I was simply enlightening you to the fact that I never intended to upset him, or cause him offence. I was just highlighting the ridiculous nature of his post and what he was saying. I never called him an idiot-I would never do that on a forum because I would be very careful not to make a judgement on someone I don't know.

As for the yellow card, I thought it was harsh, but my grievance is really with the red card. I cannot understand how I got it considering that all I said was 'you seem to live in a world where idiocy and ignorance reigns'. Now, perhaps that is worth a yellow. For that comment, like I said, I apologised.

I just think giving me a red is extreme. On any other forum, I would not receive a red card for that, barely a yellow. As for my bias comment, I refer to the over-reaction of giving me a red card for that mild comment on the Christianity forum. If I was in the GAA forum, I would receive a mild warning, if anything.

As I have mentioned, all I'm looking for is the possibility of my red card being removed. I do not think it is deserved.

• Advertisement

Dades, I understand completely about having to maintain a level of consistency. However, I want to put my comments into context:

Declan Lander:

'Abortion and birth control is a useful legal way of pruning humans.
    Thankfully most of the sky fairy believers are starting to ignore their own teachings on birth control and abortion.'

'You religious types are the nutters, I live in reality.'

I respond:
    By making flippant, short posts like that, you undermine the group you support even more.

You may think you live in 'reality', but judging from your posts, it seems you live in a world where idiocy and ignorance reigns.

He responds:
    That's religion, I don't inhabit your sky fairy mumbo jumbo world. So off you go to pray to Odin, Thor, Neptune, Mars or Zues, or whatever the current fashion is. Abortion on request is coming to Ireland, like it or not.

Then finally I repond:
    'Just what I'd expect from a childish poster like you. That's paganism, not Christianity.'

The comments he and I made were not similar. He was trolling and highly offensive to me, while I just suggested that he was ignorant and living in 'dreamland', or so to speak.

He got a red card for that, which is justified. Yet I get a red card for the first response I made?:(

I should also add that no warning was given on the thread for the duration of these posts. Had there have been a warning, then I would understand the strict discipline.

You received a red card for replying to a poster:
    you live in a world where idiocy and ignorance reigns

That's a red card offence in most forums on Boards.

I've explained above how it doesn't matter what prompted the post, it's an offence to insult another poster like that. And maybe for feeding a troll, to boot. Regarding a warning, this is from the Charter:
    If you disagree with a opinion expressed, please do so in a well mannered fashion.

Again, decide if you want to appeal this to an admin, and they will assess you card without any more going around in circles here.

Dades wrote: »
    You received a red card for replying to a poster:

That's a red card offence in most forums on Boards.

I've explained above how it doesn't matter what prompted the post, it's an offence to insult another poster like that. And maybe for feeding a troll, to boot. Regarding a warning, this is from the Charter:

Again, decide if you want to appeal this to an admin, and they will assess you card without any more going around in circles here.

I find it incredible how that could possibly be a red card offence. I have decided not to pursue this further. Mods tend to stick up for one another regardless of the nature of an appeal. That wasn't a red card offence; of that I am certain.

Advertisement