Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic -Treatment of lower classes

Options
  • 10-04-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭

This is a semi rant but I'm putting it out there to see what the views on the board are.

I'm blue in the face seeing articles and news stories about Titanic Gigs, Cruises and various other money making rackets surrounding this event. It appears extremely distasteful while also painting those taking part as lacking any knowledge or interest in history.

I don't want to come across as a killjoy but one of my favourite periods of history is the Victorian and Georgian eras. Technology came on in leaps and bounds from about 1830 onwards. The Titanic story intrigues me as it represents one of the last great shows by Britain as 'Workshop Of The World' and the very voyage itself was a microcosm of society at that time, from the hopeful young man or woman without a penny to their name to the wealthy monied types.

The world changed utterly with the outbreak of WW1 two years after the sinking and the lot of the common man began to improve steadilly. I find the period interesting as it reminds me of the calm before the storm. It was the early 20th. century but nothing much had changed in 200 years, except for newly monied types and the emergence of a more prominent middle class. I think the structure of society changed dramatically in the aftermath of WW1.

I guess what bugs me is that it's easy to talk about the wealthy ones for whom Titanic was the latest in series of jaunts. Far more poignant are those in 3rd. class who either had to scrape up about €500 from as much as I can calculate in today's money for a noisey uncomfortable cot in the bowels of the ship. In some cases they did have that money sent to them by relatives as, based on what they were earning, it would have taken them a long time to scrape that together from the wages with dedicated saving.

For me, I don't see a lot to celebrate. Life is far better for everybody now. Living conditions are far better and even a cheap plane ticket to the US guarantees you better comfort than those third class passengers had. If anything, the event should be a period of reflection on human nature and the dangers of arrogance and of putting profit before people. (I'm not a People Before Profit type btw). I wonder of any of those heading off on commemorative cruises or gigging have ever taken the time to read any of the accounts or read through the lists of those who died? I don't think that you would have much to celebrate if you did!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

squonk wrote: »
    For me, I don't see a lot to celebrate. Life is far better for everybody now. Living conditions are far better and even a cheap plane ticket to the US guarantees you better comfort than those third class passengers had. If anything, the event should be a period of reflection on human nature and the dangers of arrogance and of putting profit before people. (I'm not a People Before Profit type btw). I wonder of any of those heading off on commemorative cruises or gigging have ever taken the time to read any of the accounts or read through the lists of those who died? I don't think that you would have much to celebrate if you did!

These things are always relative. The life that those in 1912 were living could by the same token be considered better than their predessesors.

The thread could be of value though to look at the lot of third class passengers on the Titanic (I will edit title to make it more specific in line with OP)as they do endure controversial treatment in folklore and it would be good to see if that was real, i.e. were they really locked down in their holds. People survived from third class so it is not the same for all. This is an account of one Maggie Madigan:
    Once aboard Titanic, Daniel and Patrick separated from Bertha and Maggie to
    find their quarters. Daniel and Patrick were berthed in the bow with the other single men and Bertha and Maggie were given accommodations in the stern area of the ship with the other single women. The voyage was relaxing but largely uneventful, with most of their
    time spent in the third class general room aft on Titanic's C deck.
    Maggie and Bertha had retired early Sunday evening, April 14, and were asleep when Titanic had
    her fateful brush with the iceberg off Newfoundland. Having a cabin so deep within the ship, they felt the collision much more vividly than the first and secondclass passengers with accommodations on higher decks. They were actually jolted awake by the collision and roused from their sleep by the commotion in the hallway outside their cabin. Confused and frightened,
    Maggie and Bertha were soon joined by Daniel and Patrick who hustled them to the third class promenade area where they luckily managed to climb to the boat
    deck with many other steerage passengers, after having been held back by crewmen for a period of time.
    Having ascended to the boat deck at the stern of Titanic, Maggie and her friends found Father Thomas R.D. Byles, an English priest from Ongar, Essex, ministering to and consoling many of Titanic's
    steerage passengers, reciting prayers and trying to calm them as attempts were being made to place the
    women and children in the last of the lifeboats, notably numbers 13, 14, 15 and 16. Daniel and Patrick
    fought to place Maggie and Bertha into lifeboat 15 shortly before it descended from the boat deck. After
    narrowly avoiding crushing boat 13, which had become entangled under it as it descended from the boat deck, the overcrowded lifeboat hit the water and barely
    stayed afloat that long cold night. Sadly they never saw Daniel and Patrick again.
    Following her rescue from the freezing Atlantic by the Carpathia, Maggie was removed to St. Vincent's
    Hospital for a few days recovery from her ordeal. She then went to live with her married sister, Mary
    Horgan, in Manhattan. http://www.askeatonbynet.com/titanic_survivor.htm
    And from same site is Maggies ticket re-production: Titanic.jpeg

Seeing as how the sinking is so widely known it should be possible to use decent sources to look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭squonk

One of my upcoming treats is reading the book 'Irish Aboard Titanic' by Senan Moloney. I'm hoping there'll be some more insight in that publication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Commemorate rather than celebrate should be the way but there's more money to be made with the latter. Some of the bad taste being shown is really grating.

I've watched everything I can on Titanic over the years and I have a special movie which I'm saving for the 15th April - the German propaganda movie of the same name that was made in 1943. The movie was not a success despite the only heroic figure on the shipping being German and the few audiences that were able to view it in war ravaged Germany empathised with the drowning passengers.

Since starting this reply I have come across an amazing fact that I didn't know before - the ship that was used for the role of Titanic in the movie (SS Cap Arcona) was sunk by the RAF towards the very end of the war with a loss of life far greater than on the actual Titanic sinking.

320px-Cap_Arcona_1.JPG

Some 5,000 people, mainly inmates of German concentration camps died in the attack which according to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cap_Arcona was a truly appalling episode with German soldiers shooting many who reached the shore.

More here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9124111/The-strange-sinking-of-the-Nazi-Titanic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks Judgement. I must seek out this film. How did you come across it? You summed up what I was going for in your post. I think we should be commemorating this but, like yourself, the celebration aspect grates on me too. I'm not at all impressed by the center in Belfast. I'll visit but it's a bit brash. Good luck to them though. I remember being in Belfast almost ten years ago and got to stand on some of the slipways. It was before the days of mobile internet so I wasn't able to check if the Titanic's was one of them. For me, an empty, deserted slipway said more about the previous 90 years than 100 exhibition centres could. I guess most people want somewhere to bring the kids when it's raining though.

I bought the 1990s VHS version on eBay.de but 'apparently' it is cut quite a bit. The new DVD is on Amazon.co.uk here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Titanic-DVD-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B0002CHI3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1334077365&sr=1-1 and is supposed to be a far superior work and uncut. I'll probably upgrade to a DVD once I've watched it on VHS.

• Advertisement

I've watched everything I can on Titanic over the years and I have a special movie which I'm saving for the 15th April - the German propaganda movie of the same name that was made in 1943. The movie was not a success despite the only heroic figure on the shipping being German and the few audiences that were able to view it in war ravaged Germany empathised with the drowning passengers.

There was a 2 hr documentary on this on the military channel yesterday. It was called 'Nazi Titanic' or some sort. The film was apparantly not widely released in Germany as it was felt that the tragedy of mass trauma of the drowning scenes was to close to the ongoing trauma of the allied bombings (this is from same documentary). It showed the ship used for filming. The film focused on a German member of the Titanic crew who was trying to get the ships crew to slow down- it also showed clips of him rescuing children as the ship sunk.
    Hate to spoil it on you JD but the ship sinks at the end!

The Arcona sinking was part of a series of massive human losses. We looked at some of the figures in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72628307 previously.

Off topic but I can't resist posting. This painting is included in Whyte's forthcoming History, Literature & Collectables Sale on Saturday 21st April. So, if you have a spare €3 - 4,000 get in there. :D

TITANIC.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The world changed utterly with the outbreak of WW1 two years after the sinking and the lot of the common man began to improve steadilly. I find the period interesting as it reminds me of the calm before the storm. It was the early 20th. century but nothing much had changed in 200 years, except for newly monied types and the emergence of a more prominent middle class. I think the structure of society changed dramatically in the aftermath of WW1.

Change was well under way before the outbreak of WW1. The Parliament Act of 1911 had finally tipped the balance of power in favour of the commons. the Liberal Government had introduced the Blind pension and the Old Age Pension. the welfare state was coming into being. the Labour part had started to win seats in the commons. Throughout the 19th Century a new middle class had grown up. In order to service the new industries, clerks managers and engineers were needed. Colonial administrators were needed to run the colonies. The aristocracy couldn't supply the numbers. Universal education allowed the former labourers to ascend the social ladder. WW1 hastened the end of the old order. The Titanic was under construction even as the first airplane flew. It represented the thinking of those who felt the world would continue as was.

The following table is useful in seeing whether the class system favoured the richer passengers.
    titanic7.gifhttp://www.anesi.com/titanic.htm

From this it is clear that in terms of survival the better class you could afford gave you a better chance of survival.

First class passenger survival rate- 62%
    Second class passenger survival rate- 41%
    Third class passenger survival rate- 25%

There is an excellent analytical look at the reasons for these differentials in the figures in this 1986 paper by a Wayne Hall- see here
    The Mersey inquiry restricted its attention to considering three
    possible explanations of the class differences in survival: (1) that the third class passengers were
    deliberately excluded from the lifeboats; (2) that the conditions of the ship operated to the disadvantage of
    the passengers; and (3) that the third class passengers reduced their chances of survival by their own
    behaviour.
    The inquiry rejected the first explanation largely on the authority of a statement made by Mr Harbisson
    who appeared before the inquiry to represent the interests of the third class passengers. Harbisson claimed
    that there was not “one atom or tittle of evidence” that “any attempt was made to keep back the third class
    passengers” nor that “there was any discrimination practised either by the officers or the sailors putting
    them into the boats ...” [13].
    Harbisson’s assertion could not have been based on the evidence of any third class passengers because
    none gave any evidence before the inquiry. The claim that there was not an ‘atom’ of evidence that
    discrimination occurred, does not withstand critical examination. Beesley gives examples of second class
    passengers being denied entry to boats on the first class deck [8, p. 36], Lord [2, p. 95] and Padfield [10,
    p. 75] both provide instances of third class passengers and crew being denied access to the first class
    deck; and Lord [2, p. 96] reports that many of the men in the third class were kept below decks until the
    last boats were leaving the ship.

The explanations of the class difference in survival preferred by the Mersey inquiry were that the
    emigrants had been reluctant to leave their belongings, and that their lack of English prevented them from
    following the crew’s instructions [1, pp. 40, 70]. The evidence for the former was a conjecture by the
    Attorney General that emigrants would be 1oth to leave the ship because they “would certainly be
    carrying all they possessed with them ... more 1oth probably than a person whose property was not all in
    the vessel ...” [13, p. 73]. The evidence for the latter explanation was that many of the third class
    passengers were ‘foreigners’ and thus did not understand what was required of them [1, p. 70]. The
    warrant for this assertion was the supposedly greater rate of survival among the Irish third-class
    passengers; a claim which is refuted by the results of the statistical analysis reported here.

Lord Mersey conducted a British government report into the sinking of the Titanic. It is availiable free to view at this link: http://archive.org/details/losssteamshipti00titgoog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Off topic but I can't resist posting. This painting is included in Whyte's forthcoming History, Literature & Collectables Sale on Saturday 21st April. So, if you have a spare €3 - 4,000 get in there. :D

TITANIC.jpg

Passing the Fastnet?

Spot on. Sorry for not including the catalogue caption below.

Oil on canvas painting titled "R.M.S. Titanic passing Fastnet Rock Lighthouse on her maiden voyage, April 11th 1912". Painted by James Morton an artist and illustrator renowned for the historical accuracy of his maritime and aviation scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

One of my upcoming treats is reading the book 'Irish Aboard Titanic' by Senan Moloney. I'm hoping there'll be some more insight in that publication.

The author was on the Pat Kenny show yesterday

It's not up on the website yet, maybe tomorrow
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/#Podcasts
    There in itunes if you subscribe that way

He spend a bit of time on officers having revolvers to control the crowds.

But I'm certain I saw a documentary years ago that this never happened and it was just a story, the dutiful British officers having to shot and control the unruly lower orders. Ruffians and no sense of order don't you know, what what

Was just a story glorifying the crew and driving home the class divide and of course the steerage passengers had to be locked downstairs in case there was disorder.

But the author was certain that it actually happened and that Irish steerage passengers were shot.
    Other passengers would hold back but the Irish passengers didn't take kindly to being ordered around by the officers and so came forward

So now I'm completely lost, did it happen or not. :confused:

Only one Irish person was interviewed for the American enquiry but the author has information of another survivor who confirmed the shootings but she was never asked to give evidence.

The author give another story of an officer shooting four men who refused to leave a lifeboat.

I'm hearing authors and different documentary makers giving different stories

Check out the podcast anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I guess what bugs me is that it's easy to talk about the wealthy ones for whom Titanic was the latest in series of jaunts. Far more poignant are those in 3rd. class who either had to scrape up about €500 from as much as I can calculate in today's money for a noisey uncomfortable cot in the bowels of the ship. In some cases they did have that money sent to them by relatives as, based on what they were earning, it would have taken them a long time to scrape that together from the wages with dedicated saving.

From what I've ever read and seen, the conditions and treatment in third class on Titanic was as good if not better than at home.

Fair enough, they were kept away from the decks for far too long (locked downstairs?), but that was disaster time...there was very little organisation or command structure around..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm blue in the face

very poor choice of words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

There's nothing new about bad taste and Titanic. In the aftermath there was all sorts of commemorative items sold, plates, postcards etc., poetry (some extremely poor and bordering on doggerel) sheet music etc. etc. ad nausem.

Re the class system, this was self enforced to a large degree and not just on board ship. Gentry, even in reduced circumstances, wouldn't be seen dead in a 2nd class (or God forbid 3rd class!) railway carriage.

Often wondered what would happen if they DIDN'T spot the iceberg in time. Probably head-on collision, a few bits of crockery broken and a wee bit of flooding. She may have joined Olympic as a troop carrier in WW1 and quietly scrapped in the 20's or 30's. A footnote in maritime history.

What was the view of the wider public at the time of the sinking.

This rather caustic cartoon titled 'the eternal collision' suggests sympathy was not universal.
    cart02.jpghttp://www.google.ie/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1608&bih=850&tbm=isch&tbnid=Rjj79Lf2_V32ZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.freewebs.com/graham7760/titaniccartoons.htm&docid=llV3sIVOklP3-M&imgurl=http://www.freewebs.com/graham7760/cart02.jpg&w=328&h=360&ei=6KKGT5PfBI2ChQfb8OXDCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=386&sig=111515631264059462964&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=137&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:64&tx=67&ty=81

Similar from the Literary digest, 1912
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAFzb1PHn97gICjo8uzOSMtPcz7FYMvi6JhAETYCLTIKW1UkCGwdc419KB

Perhaps these were more targeted at the owners of the White star line. It is interesting that the film about the Titanic made WWII Germany as a Nazi propaganda film took the view that the main cause of the disaster was corporate greed. If JD has watched the film he might be able to comment on this. This third satire certainly has that view from the San francisco examiner in 1912. To what extent was this correct.
    titoon.jpghttp://www.sfmuseum.org/hist5/titoon.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

There were lots of hero's on the Titanic but here is mine , Laurence Beesley

10WADE-articleInline.jpg
    Had you been a woman traveling in second class on the Titanic a century ago, your chances of survival were quite favorable — 86 percent were saved. For the men in second class, one of whom was my grandfather Lawrence Beesley, the odds were the reverse — only 14 percent survived, and the rest were drowned in the freezing waters of the Atlantic.

Notions of male chivalry toward the weaker sex have since been cast aside, and it is no longer de rigueur for a man to yield his seat on a bus, or a lifeboat, to someone of the opposite sex. But in the Edwardian era it was a moral code with a force stronger than law. When the order was given on the Titanic for families to be separated and for women to board lifeboats first, no man rushed ahead.
    I have often wondered how my grandfather managed to beat the heavy odds against his survival. But I was too young, while he lived, ever to ask such an impertinent question. I have since come up with a possible answer, based on many readings of “The Loss of the Titanic,” a book he wrote within a few weeks of his rescue.
    My grandfather earned first-class honors in science at Cambridge University and had discovered a new species of algae before he graduated. But instead of pursuing a career in science he chose to become a high school physics teacher in his home town, Wirksworth, in northern England. Perhaps he needed the steadier income — he was already married to his first wife and had a young son, Alec (who was to marry Dodie Smith, the playwright and author of “101 Dalmatians”).
    He left his next job, as a physics master at Dulwich College in London, to become a Christian Science practitioner. Given that Christian Science values spiritual healing over scientific medicine, this was a surprising departure for him. It was to meet one of his brothers, also a Christian Scientist, in Toronto that my grandfather bought a second-class ticket on the Titanic for £13 (about $60 at the time). He boarded the ship at Southampton on April 10, 1912.
    Traveling at high speed through an iceberg field without searchlights, the Titanic brushed past an iceberg at 11:40 p.m. on April 14. An underwater extension of the iceberg sliced through the ship’s thin metal skin so smoothly that the passengers noticed no impact. The ship was designed to stay afloat with four of its forward sections flooded, but could not survive the compromise of six. It sank at 2:20 the next morning.
    The captain ordered the lifeboats to be readied shortly after midnight. Presumably he knew that there were not enough to save everyone but did not advertise this information. Many passengers were at first unwilling to leave the vast ship, believing it unsinkable, and the first lifeboats left half filled.
    My grandfather was standing on the top starboard deck of the boat with a large group of men when a rumor went around that the men were to be taken off on the port side. Almost everyone moved across the ship. Only he and two others stayed where they were.
    Shortly after, he heard a cry of “Any more ladies?” from a lifeboat swinging level with the deck below. Leaning over the edge of his deck, he looked down at the boat.
    “Any ladies on your deck?” a crew member asked him.
    “No,” my grandfather replied.
    “Then you had better jump.”
    My grandfather put his feet over the side of the deck, threw his dressing gown ahead of him, and dropped onto the stern of the lifeboat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/science/beating-the-odds-to-survive-the-titanics-sinking.html?_r=1

The odds of surviving as a man in 2nd Class was 14 % and a woman 86%.

Thank God for feminism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

This site gives a really good illustration of how class affected your chances of surviving.

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/titanic/

The disparity wasn't as marked as I had expected, though maybe my expectations were somewhat low.

Also shows where the various passengers were from and whether they survived. Was interesting to find someone from my home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Interesting site, a pity the geography is so incorrect. Rathfriland is in Wicklow, Clare is next to Mullingar, Patrickswell is in Kildare to mention just a few.

Why make an issue of the ‘treatment of the lower classes’? At the time of the Titanic's sinking there was a rigid class structure which was enforced in life ashore on trains, just as much as it was enforced on ships at sea. Even in the days of coaching the cheap seats were on th eroof or outside, not in the carriage. Third class were forbidden First Class areas, same on all cruise ships today and the same as today's passengers turn left or right on boarding an aircraft. On a liner, cheap berths are on the lowest decks, with no portholes. The same situation pertains on ferries/cruis ships today. Expensive cabins get portholes or even balconies.

Liners of that era, just as liners and aircraft today have crew dedicated to specific areas. The job of any crew catering for passengers is and was to look after their passengers only. That is their job.
    I am surprised that the ‘Costa Concordia’ has not yet been mentioned; its sinking saw untrammelled panic among the passengers (and some crew!). Had there been a general ‘free for all’ on the Titanic as we saw on the Costa, the loss of life probably would have been much greater. Equally, the fact that the engineers stayed at their posts to ensure that the generators continued to run saved many lives, particularly of those voyaging far below deck.

The simple tragic fact was that the ship did not have enough lifeboats, a factor that was immediately remedied after the event. Trying to make a socio-political point out of the tragedy demeans too many brave people, of all classes.

• Advertisement

An aside , the examiner has a great Titanic Site

http://titanic.irishexaminer.com/archive.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

CDfm wrote: »
    An aside , the examiner has a great Titanic Site

http://titanic.irishexaminer.com/archive.html[/QUOTE]

The 'No Home Rule' painted/chalked on the hull is interesting. Never saw that pic before.

The head-on shot of the bow contrasts with the effort of the Cobh 100 banners and posters, whilst looking well, show a far more modern ship with the 'Titanic' name photoshopped onto it. A little bit of research lads wouldn't do any harm in fairness.

I have found other survival tables by nationality, gender & class here.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/titanic.html

Do any of the witness statements or first hand accounts support the suggestion that third class passengers were locked in their quarters or were turned away from lifeboats in favour of first class passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

From this it is clear that in terms of survival the better class you could afford gave you a better chance of survival.

It's interesting that twice as many men in terms of % from 3rd class were saved as from 2nd, though...
    and in actual numbers, same number of men as women in third. No outdated moral code there, then :D Surprised about the kids in 3rd though

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I know I am opening up a can of worms here but what would you expect people to do tonight? Stay in and mourn the dead of 100 years ago? I myself intend on heading to Addergoole in County Mayo that remembers 14 people from that village that travelled on the Titanic, 11 of whom died. All steerage. There is an annual event down there culminating in a candlelit procession through the village at 2.20am on the 15th.

From what I've heard, the 14 were nearly forgotten about completely until the 1990's when a local man took an interest in them and set up a society to find out about them. This society has organised a week of activities at considerable expense in terms of time and money.

Now there will be huge activity in the area tonight (with Im sure many a pint of porter drank) and you can argue that that is distasteful, but to put a different slant on it, I've read about those 14 people, their relatives now and then and their life circumstances that I may never have if the event wasnt taking place. These 14 will always be remembered in this area. Indeed being a bit morbid here, should i die in tragic circumstances, then I find it nice that someone might know my name in 100 years time.

Basically what Im trying to say is that while we shouldnt forget the past, we can never change it and while it was a terrible tragidy (not the biggest in maritime history mind), we should celebrate life rather than mourn the dead.

And before anyone says anything, I have a huge interest in the Titanic (not just from the film! :) ) and have read plenty about the conditions of all passengers, the string of errors that lead to the accident and the heroics/villanry that fateful night.

Final note, my favourite Titanic film is A Night to Remember.

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's interesting that twice as many men in terms of % from 3rd class were saved as from 2nd, though...
    and in actual numbers, same number of men as women in third. No outdated moral code there, then :D Surprised about the kids in 3rd though

72 % of Women Survived , 50% of Children and 19 % of Men.

It was women first and you know it . ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Do any of the witness statements or first hand accounts support the suggestion that third class passengers were locked in their quarters or were turned away from lifeboats in favour of first class passengers?

Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff Gordon and their secretary were aboard one of the 'emergency' lifeboats (capacity of 40 I believe) with just one American gentleman named Stengal and eight crewmen. Lady Duff Gordon makes a song and dance in testimony about not wanting to get into the boat before Cosmo, her husbands asks if they can board with the crewmen positively urging them to board. She also claims not to remember much of what was said as they pulled away from the side.

She then recounts how the boat rowed about 200 yards from the ship and waited. She then is very sketchy about what she saw as the ship foundered and denies ever hearing survivors in the water afterward screaming for help. Her husband admitted offering to pay the crewmen five pounds for their belongings that went down with the ship. This of course was construed by the press that the Duff Gordons bribed their way onto the boat and then ordered the crew not to pick up survivors. It didn't help that their secretary defended them (she would wouldn't she?).

This created the myth that the rich left the poor behind to drown.

J. Bruce Ismay helped with the loading of lifeboats and his action in persuading people to get into the boats undoubtedly safe many lives but as the ship was about to make its final plunge he stepped into a life boat at the front of the ship. Most of the rest of the passengers had gone to the rear of the ship as the water was rising so there were places available for Ismay and at least one other man. Of course many other men chose to remain aboard to let women and children escape. Ismay never lived it down. There are stories of other survivors committing suicide subsequently.

snafuk35 wrote: »
    Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff Gordon ........

It seems it was a controversy after the sinking.
    Reports that bribes were offered the sailors who manned the boat in which C. E. Henry Stengel of Newark; Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon and Lady Duff-Gordon and several others left the Titanic are branded as absolutely untrue by Mr. Stengel. The report was circulated by an able seaman, Robert Hopkins, when he asked for assistance at the City Hall, New York. Hopkins declared that had he been in what he described as the "money boat" he would not have to apply for assistance. Questioned he said that all of the sailors in the dinghy in which Mr. Stengel and Sir and Lady Duff-Gordon escaped, were paid for putting off as quickly as possible.

Others in the boat were Miss Francatelli, of London, and A. L. Solomon, a wholesale stationer, of New York.

"I don't know the fellow," Mr. Stengel said yesterday. "He must be looking for sympathy or money. I know Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon did give the crew something after we were taken on board the Carpathia, but it was merely a reward for the work they had done."
    http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/stengel-denies-bribes-were-given-sailors.html
    From the Newark Star newspaper, 1912.

And on her appearance at the Titanic inquiry :
    Lady Duff Gordon was accordingly sworn and denied that she heard any of the cries of the drowning, or that she said it would be dangerous to go back to them.
    http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/the-titanic-inquiry-lady-duff-gordons-evidence.html The Times, 1912

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Interesting site, a pity the geography is so incorrect. Rathfriland is in Wicklow, Clare is next to Mullingar, Patrickswell is in Kildare to mention just a few.

Patrickswell is in Limerick. 4 miles outside the city.

Advertisement