Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic -Treatment of lower classes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I know I am opening up a can of worms here but what would you expect people to do tonight? Stay in and mourn the dead of 100 years ago? I myself intend on heading to Addergoole in County Mayo that remembers 14 people from that village that travelled on the Titanic, 11 of whom died. All steerage. There is an annual event down there culminating in a candlelit procession through the village at 2.20am on the 15th.

From what I've heard, the 14 were nearly forgotten about completely until the 1990's when a local man took an interest in them and set up a society to find out about them. This society has organised a week of activities at considerable expense in terms of time and money.

Now there will be huge activity in the area tonight (with Im sure many a pint of porter drank) and you can argue that that is distasteful, but to put a different slant on it, I've read about those 14 people, their relatives now and then and their life circumstances that I may never have if the event wasnt taking place. These 14 will always be remembered in this area. Indeed being a bit morbid here, should i die in tragic circumstances, then I find it nice that someone might know my name in 100 years time.

Basically what Im trying to say is that while we shouldnt forget the past, we can never change it and while it was a terrible tragidy (not the biggest in maritime history mind), we should celebrate life rather than mourn the dead.

And before anyone says anything, I have a huge interest in the Titanic (not just from the film! :) ) and have read plenty about the conditions of all passengers, the string of errors that lead to the accident and the heroics/villanry that fateful night.

Final note, my favourite Titanic film is A Night to Remember.

That's quite alright, its Celine Dion warbling across Cork Harbour on a PA system gets my goat, plus THIS...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2129971/Titanic-100th-anniversary-Twitter-users-just-Titanic-really-happened.html?printingPage=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dmcronin wrote: »
    That's quite alright, its Celine Dion warbling across Cork Harbour on a PA system gets my goat, plus THIS...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2129971/Titanic-100th-anniversary-Twitter-users-just-Titanic-really-happened.html?printingPage=true

Makes you wonder how 'we' ever had an Empire or perhaps it's why 'we' did. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

That's quite alright, its Celine Dion warbling across Cork Harbour on a PA system gets my goat, plus

You can reassure your goat that there were no goats on the Titanic.

The rumours of a pig have proved false .

http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/discovery-centre-news/2010-archive/titanic-animals/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

CDfm wrote: »
    You can reassure your goat that there were no goats on the Titanic.

The rumours of a pig have proved false .

http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/discovery-centre-news/2010-archive/titanic-animals/

The Harpers dog survived -From CDfm link
    Henry was famous in the United States of America for his company, Harper Publishing. Henry, his wife Myra and their dog survived.
    also
    A Pomeranian belonging to the Rothschild’s survived, possibly because it was bundled into Mrs Rothschild’s bag, although Mr Rothschild went down with the ship.
    How the hell did the dogs survive- even the dog on the Irish Rover (song) drowned.

The Harpers dog survived -From CDfm link
    also

How the hell did the dogs survive- even the dog on the Irish Rover (song) drowned.

Imagine all those that survived were lap type dogs that the owners kept with them and brought onto the lifeboats? The other poor beasts were locked down in the kennels far below decks.

*edit* AFAIK at least one large dog owned by an officer made it.

• Advertisement

snafuk35 wrote: »

J. Bruce Ismay helped with the loading of lifeboats and his action in persuading people to get into the boats undoubtedly safe many lives but as the ship was about to make its final plunge he stepped into a life boat at the front of the ship. Most of the rest of the passengers had gone to the rear of the ship as the water was rising so there were places available for Ismay and at least one other man. Of course many other men chose to remain aboard to let women and children escape. Ismay never lived it down. There are stories of other survivors committing suicide subsequently.

Did he move to Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

And he seems to have stayed in Ireland after independence too.

I wonder what his life was like there.

CDfm wrote: »
    And he seems to have stayed in Ireland after independence too.

I wonder what his life was like there.

This gives a small insight...

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/51086/white-star-chairman-j-bruce-ismay-finds-peace-in-the-west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks! I love his local nickname, Brú síos mé. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement