Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Nun: February 2012

Options
  • 10-04-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

From the Galway Independent:

"A photo that appears to capture a ghostly image of a nun on The Long Walk has been causing a stir in the city this week.

Local photographer Jonathan Curran was taking a series of 13 photographs of the picturesque area in an attempt to create a panoramic view when he came across something very unusual in one of his shots.

One of the images, which were taken less than a minute apart, appears to show an isolated female figure with the appearance of a 19th century Claddagh nun. Mr Curran said he was “freaked” to discover the strange appearance on the camera and checked the other 12 images but the elderly woman did not appear in any of the other pictures.

“The image was not visible either before or after the photograph was taken and was not captured in any of the other photographs, either going or coming. She just seemed to appear for a moment and then disappear. There were other people on the Long Walk that day, but they seemed oblivious to her presence,” he explained.

The unnerving photo obtained by the Galway Independent clearly shows a distinct ghostly female figure and speculation has been rife since the photo emerged as to whether this is simply a optical illusion or a representation from beyond the grave.

Galway historian William Henry said there had been many stories of hauntings around the Claddagh, Wolfe Tone Bridge and Long Walk over the years and stories of the ‘Lady in White’ were told regularly in the past.

“An elderly man once described seeing a lady dressed in medieval clothing near the bridge one night, long before our festivals began. Other stories of hauntings were told in the old Claddagh and many young people were warned to avoid Wolf Tone Bridge after mid-night. This had the added advantage of ensuring that they were home before 12 bells,” he said.

Mr Henry said the image at the end of Long Walk is striking and “certainly stands out as clearly out of place in a modern context.”

“She appears to be looking directly at the camera indicating an awareness of her surroundings,” he added.

Are you a sceptic or a believer? View a larger version of the photo and join the discussion at www.galwayindependent.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think thats either

a) mistaken identity ... the photographer didnt notice someone there

b) a physical object that is there, but blurred by distance and ends up looking a bit like a person.

I honestly dont see how anyone could assume it's a ghost.

Plus, thats been doing the rounds for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Indeed and totally agreed, just posted it up in case a few hadnt seen it.

I had to look at the date, make sure it wasnt an April Fools.

I dont know much about these things at all but its not the sort of way I would expect to see a paranormal entity manifesting itself.

Paper doesn't refuse ink as they say.

Same as that Castle in Wales, when somebody doesnt come forward to the papers and say:

"Look, that was only me out walking in me home made black bin-bag coat"....but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

it looks to me very much like one of those stands for life perservers, but its been covered in black plastic ... as if its out of order or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Definately not a ghost, since when are ghost so clear.

Think it's just someone looking for attention.

What are the odds he takes 12 pictures of the same thing:rolleyes:

And how in the he'll do they know she was from the 19 century and a nun, the photographer must of had quite a word with this ghost ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Good debunking there Maccored:cool:, I'd say you might well be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I heard about this weeks ago from a friend in the states, he runs a podcast so the story did the rounds a few times. Interestingly enough the same time that photo was taken a period drama was being shot not too far away and the style of dress matched the nun. I'd could of course be legitimate or it could be an movie extra or even a local. I'm not going to write it off as a fake straight away. I remember when the story first broke the photographer was so adamant of its authenticity that he was commenting back and forth to different people on the news site. I think I'm actually friends with him on flickr now, I want to see the original RAW file complete with EXIF data then I'll say yay or nay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

the image ''clearly shows a distinct ghostly female figure ''
    what is ghostly about that image? I think Maccored is right, or else it is just someone physically standing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the image ''clearly shows a distinct ghostly female figure ''
    what is ghostly about that image? I think Maccored is right, or else it is just someone physically standing there.

its somebody physically standing there

Advertisement