Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of Solicitor without notification

• 10-04-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

My solicitor informed me about 3 months ago that due to cutbacks he may be leaving the firm. He said that if the decision was made that the firm would notify me.

I was contacted 2 weeks ago to sign some forms (pertinent to my case) and after I signed them I asked the legal assistant about my solicitor, I was told he was gone and then told the name of my "new" solicitor.

Again I was told that I would be receiving notification regarding my new solicitor. To date I haven't heard a peep from them.

The prep for my case is very advanced and we should be ready to go in a matter of weeks so changing firms would really be a nightmare. I have no idea about the new solicitor, he's a partner in the firm and I feel that this is a very bad start to any new client/solicitor relationship - he could well be a great solicitor - but this for me is a bad start.

I really don't know how to approach this so any tips would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Tips on what exactly, though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

BornToKill wrote: »
    Tips on what exactly, though?

On how to handle the issue - or if there are people in the legal profession who can tell me if this can be done without a clients notification and permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If he is a partner in the firm he would be experienced.

Solicitors come and go in firms occasionally. It is likelly the new solicitor having reviewed the file would meet you.

Major actions are usually discussed within the firm, so the "new" solicitor may already know about it.

The important document at this stage is the advice on proofs supplied by your barrister. This is an agenda of what has to be done, what witnesses etc etc. As long as this is in hands matters should be ok

nuac wrote: »
    If he is a partner in the firm he would be experienced.

Solicitors come and go in firms occasionally. It is likelly the new solicitor having reviewed the file would meet you.

Major actions are usually discussed within the firm, so the "new" solicitor may already know about it.

The important document at this stage is the advice on proofs supplied by your barrister. This is an agenda of what has to be done, what witnesses etc etc. As long as this is in hands matters should be ok

Thanks, nuac, he's experienced no doubt, I just don't know if he's any good and his failure to make any introduction to me whatsoever causes me concern. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

daltonmd

Solr any good?

Few survive in practice nowadays unless they are competent. No firm can carry passengers.

If you dont hear soon, and as your case may be coming up soon, you could ask for a meeting.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    daltonmd

Solr any good?

Few survive in practice nowadays unless they are competent. No firm can carry passengers.

If you dont hear soon, and as your case may be coming up soon, you could ask for a meeting.

I've absolutely no idea whether he's any good or not. It really isn't the issue at this stage, as all the ground work is more or less done, it's the lack of courtesy in informing me of the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Look to meet him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

daltonmd wrote: »
    I've absolutely no idea whether he's any good or not. It really isn't the issue at this stage, as all the ground work is more or less done, it's the lack of courtesy in informing me of the change.

It is a bit of a lack of courtesy alright and certainly, if a solicitor was leaving a firm, I'd have thought they try their best to let clients know (where they've been the only point of contact). However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If this is a PI matter in the High Court, you'll have PLENTY of opportunity to get to know your solicitor very well while you're waiting for a judge to become available!

I would have thought that your solicitor would have arranged a pre-trial meeting with you and your barrister, if only to get the barrister to read the Brief! (no offence meant to any barristers present!)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Controversial last para ;)

It is a bit of a lack of courtesy alright and certainly, if a solicitor was leaving a firm, I'd have thought they try their best to let clients know (where they've been the only point of contact). However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If this is a PI matter in the High Court, you'll have PLENTY of opportunity to get to know your solicitor very well while you're waiting for a judge to become available!

I would have thought that your solicitor would have arranged a pre-trial meeting with you and your barrister, if only to get the barrister to read the Brief! (no offence meant to any barristers present!)

When I last spoke to my old solicitor I did say I'd be happy to move to a new firm and as I have not heard from him I can only assume that there was some settlement which involved a no poaching clause - which would make sense in a way. Still though to be not informed of the change formally is very annoying - I think I'll call the law society for information.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

daltonmd wrote: »
    When I last spoke to my old solicitor I did say I'd be happy to move to a new firm and as I have not heard from him I can only assume that there was some settlement which involved a no poaching clause - which would make sense in a way. Still though to be not informed of the change formally is very annoying - I think I'll call the law society for information.

Thanks.

To be honest, your old solicitor moved some time between 2 weeks and 3 months ago. Most solicitors deal with hundreds of files, it will take time for the new solicitor to come up to speed and send out letters, usually firms deal with urgent cases first then work away through the files.

To be honest, your old solicitor moved some time between 2 weeks and 3 months ago. Most solicitors deal with hundreds of files, it will take time for the new solicitor to come up to speed and send out letters, usually firms deal with urgent cases first then work away through the files.

Thanks - not that I thought I was priority but I hadn't thought of that really.

Advertisement