Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Door Install

Options
  • 10-04-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

looking for a little advice, i want to put a door into my apartment between two rooms. I have the door and matching frame, don't have the hinges or handle.

Does anyone know what sort of money i would be looking at to have it installed and anyone here a decent carpenter interested in doing it if i was to go ahead?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Is this to go from the bedroom to the gym? All I'd say is make sure you're not creating a fire safety issue, particularly if you're breaking through a fire-rated stud partition.

As for the chippy end of things, plenty of guys on the sticky. The ones I know will be insured and will charge you accordingly! If you're looking to do it on the cheap, be careful!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Its a fire door so should keep the fire rating in place.

i've a mezz, which is being used as the gym.

im thinking about putting a door in between the Mezz and attic storage area to turn it into a walk in wardrobe / closet.

I can then take the wardrobe out of there and move it into the walk in room and put a bed up there, then i can move the gym equipment to the other side of the room.

it would make foe a decent guest room.

i need to start somewhere so i figure this would be a good start :P

ah right - I'm not familiar with the layout of those apartments, be careful you're not creating a room within a room, or a habitable room without a window for escape. :)

there already is a habitable room without a window for escape. was here when i bought the place!

right so - again I'm not familiar with the layout of these units and there may be certain circumstance under regs that the room doesn't require a window for escape. It's unusual not to have a window in a 'habitable' room - in most cases habitable rooms do need a window which opens for purge/rapid ventilation, so a Velux window should satisfy this (is there a Velux window?). If its a room within a room then the window issue needs to be reviewed for either fire safety or ventilation purposes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I didn't think one would be able to break through an apartment wall like that, even if one owns the apartment. It's an interesting idea. What apartments are you in Matt?

The crescent, a couple of others have done very similar, one so much to remove their hallway completly so that you walk straight into their living room.

Another with the same apartment as mine completly remove the same wall to make a large landing/living area, actually he removed two walls on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Did you have to get any architect/engineer advice before doing this? Approval from the Management?

Perhaps for a door, its not such a requirement but Im guessing that chap had to get some kind of clearance before going ahead.

Its something I would love to do....

Langerland wrote: »
    Did you have to get any architect/engineer advice before doing this?

A Chartered Building Surveyor is a better selection for this type of thing. ;)

Advertisement