Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some sort of fit?

• 10-04-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

i witnessed this seizure the other night, my folks said it happened twice last week while they were minding my dog.

my dog was sleeping by the fire and then start screaming, he's a vocal dog anyway but these seemed to be screams of pain or major distress, i went over to him and his eyes were open, after a few seconds (20) of this he stopped screaming and started wagging his tail, i check him to see if he was sore anywhere but he appeared to be fine if a little embarrassed..

he's been fine since then, been walking and eating and generally his usual self.

i had him at the vets a couple of weeks ago and he was very happy with his health. he was on tablets to try and get rid of a (harmless) lump on his ear so im wondering if this fit was a side affect. the vet said side affects would include increased thirst and pissing

anyone seen anything like that before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Could he have been dreaming? I know my two makes all kinds of whining and screeching noises in their sleep, one of them nods her head, rolls her eyes and sticks her tounge out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Could he have been dreaming? I know my two makes all kinds of whining and screeching noises in their sleep, one of them nods her head, rolls her eyes and sticks her tounge out!!

that's what i'm hoping is the case alright, maybe the tablets give him night terrors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sounds like he was dreaming. Mine make noises ranging from squeaky barks to full-on 'I'm going to eat you' snarling.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I had an epileptic dog for ten years, and what you describe sounds a bit like one of his less severe fits. If you bring him to a vet, you'll probably be told to worm him carefully, and bring him back if these fits continue. Epileptic dogs can have perfectly happy lives, it is not a death sentence or a life of misery. I hope it's not epilepsy, and he's only dreaming or in need of worming, but if it is then you should know that there are lots of drugs available, there might be some trial and error before you find the right one for him, but everything will be just dandy.
    I'd bring him to a vet anyway, if only for peace of mind. If your vet is on the ball he'll do a thorough work-up, check the liver function and heart and all the other bits 'n' pieces, and at least you'll go home informed and reassured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Actually, That happens to me at nights sometimes, one of the muscles in my leg twists or moves the wrong way, and it's total agony for about 20-50 seconds, while I cause myself more pain by stretching it out before it moves back to it's normal position.

I don't know if that's what's happening with your pooch, but when I read it, it reminded me of my night time agonies.
    Consult a vet in either case, if the dog is in distress on a regular basis, perhaps the vet can help with at least some of it.

Vince

• Advertisement

cheers guys, i do think maybe it was a dream. he's finished his course of medication now so we'll see if he gets any more. he never had one before in the couple of years i've had him and he's quite a senior dog so i'd expect to have seen one before, he'll have to go back to the vets for another checkup so i'll raise it then.

@beveragekady, why do you think it could be worms? i wasnt aware of this as a worm sympton?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

cheers guys, i do think maybe it was a dream. he's finished his course of medication now so we'll see if he gets any more. he never had one before in the couple of years i've had him and he's quite a senior dog so i'd expect to have seen one before, he'll have to go back to the vets for another checkup so i'll raise it then.

@beveragekady, why do you think it could be worms? i wasnt aware of this as a worm sympton?

The first time I brought my fella to the vet after his first fit it was the first question we were asked. (A lot of 'first' in that sentence.) He was wormed, as it happened, but the vet gave him another dose before trying him on epilepsy medication. (He spent the next ten years on the meds anyway.)
    Much more recently, another hound of mine 'took a turn.' I knew it probably wasn't epilepsy because I'm something of an expert on the subject of canine epilepsy now (did I mention TEN YEARS?) but the vet did a very thorough checkup and.... wormed him even though he was up-to-date.
    It seems a fairly common worm can cause seizures if it's not treated (the same one that causes toxoplasmosis, I think) and vets would rather eliminate that possibility before they begin messing around with epilepsy meds. It makes sense really, as it can be a bit hit-and-miss to find the epilepsy meds that will work with a particular case.
    Hope your chap is ok now!

thanks beverage lady. yep he seems fine now, hasnt had any fits, i've to take him back to the vet anyway on account of his ear so he can get wormed (though im sure he is wormed anyway..)

Advertisement