Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornby controllers

Options
  • 10-04-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got a hornby layout with one train running on it (the virgin 125). By looking at it I'd be able to fit two more trains on the layout. I was wondering whats the best way to go about getting controllers for the trains. Is it best to buy two more R965 controllers which is what My Virgin train is running on or is there another way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Dont know what your layout looks like but I'm assuming some kind of loops or multiple loops. The problem with DC is that the controller controls the power to the track and therefore all the trains on that track get the same power. In order to separately control the trains you do need a second controller but more importantly you need to isolate the track circuits (i.e. you could have an inner-loop and and outer-loop). In that scenario one controller would power the outer loop and train on that and the other would power the inner loop separately. This is straightforward if the two loops are completely separate and not joined by points etc. If you have points then you need to be careful as the train will be moving from one circuit to the other and so you have to insure you have isolating joiners etc.

Some good detailed info available here :
    http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm#Electrical%20Basics

The full solution is to go to DCC (or Digital) - in this case you only have one controller but each train has a 'chip' and an address and so you can individually control each train even if they are running on the same track. However DCC involves a new controller and some work to convert your current train (assuming not 'DCC Ready') plus DCC trains tend to be more expensive that DC versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Hi,

Dont know what your layout looks like but I'm assuming some kind of loops or multiple loops. The problem with DC is that the controller controls the power to the track and therefore all the trains on that track get the same power. In order to separately control the trains you do need a second controller but more importantly you need to isolate the track circuits (i.e. you could have an inner-loop and and outer-loop). In that scenario one controller would power the outer loop and train on that and the other would power the inner loop separately. This is straightforward if the two loops are completely separate and not joined by points etc. If you have points then you need to be careful as the train will be moving from one circuit to the other and so you have to insure you have isolating joiners etc.

Some good detailed info available here :
    http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm#Electrical%20Basics

The full solution is to go to DCC (or Digital) - in this case you only have one controller but each train has a 'chip' and an address and so you can individually control each train even if they are running on the same track. However DCC involves a new controller and some work to convert your current train (assuming not 'DCC Ready') plus DCC trains tend to be more expensive that DC versions.

Hi,

My layout has got three running loops and there are points. Do you mean that the joiners of the track have to be at a distance from each other to control the trains separately?

Hi,

By isolated I mean using 'isolated joiners' aka 'isolated fishplates'. On a normal track there are 2 pieces of metal where the track slots together - these are the 'fishplates'. In a normal situation these are metal to provide electrical connectivity from one section of track to another. In your scenario you want to electrically isolate a section of track (or maybe the full loop) from the other section (other loop) but they will still be physically connected.

As an example Hornby produce specific isolated fishplates :
    http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/final.asp?ref=HORNBY-TRACK-R920-ISOLATED-FISHPLATES-PACK-OF-12-&id=6091&manufacturer=%27Hornby%27

These basically still connect the track but they are made of plastic and therefore there is no electrical connection.

The main challenge you will have in this type of setup is when a train is moving from one loop to the other as at that point it will be moving from one controller to the other so you need manage it. If the trains are staying on their own loops majority of the time then not such a big deal and you can have 3 controllers each connected to one loop and controlling the train on that loop.

Hi,

I've attached what my layout looks like.
    So basically you place these on the points where the electricity is to power the train but what is one of my trains was a diesel loco pulling wagons and having to switch tracks via points while shunting?
    I suppose i'd just have to remember to switch to another controller

Is there any other way going about it?

Hi,

Ok, so I think with your layout the 'Y' junction is going to complicate matters a little as you dont have 3 complete loops.

What may be the simplest approach would be to split up into 2 separately controlled sections : (a) the 2 outer loops and (b) the inner loop and sidings in the center. In that case you would put the isolating joining by the point which is directly opposite the station building.

As you say you will need to plan for when you want to move a train from the outer loops to the inner loops or vice-versa. For example if you are going outer to inner :

1. Move all other trains on the inner loop into the sidings and position the points so that the trains are isolated
    2. Turn inner loop controller to 'off'
    3. Position the points correctly and drive the train from outer to inner.
    4. As soon as all the pick-up wheels on the loco have moved onto the inner circuit the train will stop. Note it doesnt matter about the wagons or coaches (unless they are lit)
    5. Now turn outer controller off and start to control the train with the inner controller.
    Hope that makes some kind of sense.

With DC it is very difficult to have 2 trains running on the same loop as invariable they will not run at the same speed so one will nearly always catch up the other and so needs constant monitoring.

In terms of a better solution the answer is DCC - in that case your complete layout would be 'live' and you could stop, start, speed up, slow down any train you want without impacting the others. If you want to go down the route of running multiple trains at the same time then it is definitely worth considering.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Ok, so I think with your layout the 'Y' junction is going to complicate matters a little as you dont have 3 complete loops.

What may be the simplest approach would be to split up into 2 separately controlled sections : (a) the 2 outer loops and (b) the inner loop and sidings in the center. In that case you would put the isolating joining by the point which is directly opposite the station building.

As you say you will need to plan for when you want to move a train from the outer loops to the inner loops or vice-versa. For example if you are going outer to inner :

1. Move all other trains on the inner loop into the sidings and position the points so that the trains are isolated
    2. Turn inner loop controller to 'off'
    3. Position the points correctly and drive the train from outer to inner.
    4. As soon as all the pick-up wheels on the loco have moved onto the inner circuit the train will stop. Note it doesnt matter about the wagons or coaches (unless they are lit)
    5. Now turn outer controller off and start to control the train with the inner controller.
    Hope that makes some kind of sense.

With DC it is very difficult to have 2 trains running on the same loop as invariable they will not run at the same speed so one will nearly always catch up the other and so needs constant monitoring.

In terms of a better solution the answer is DCC - in that case your complete layout would be 'live' and you could stop, start, speed up, slow down any train you want without impacting the others. If you want to go down the route of running multiple trains at the same time then it is definitely worth considering.

Hi,
    I had that in mind to split the tracks with the controllers

Thanks a lot for your help

Also by looking at my layout, if I had a train in the sidings on the inner line (Diesel loco), would it be possible to run a third train (Commuter) without the loco moving?

ekellyie wrote: »
    Also by looking at my layout, if I had a train in the sidings on the inner line (Diesel loco), would it be possible to run a third train (Commuter) without the loco moving?

Yes, just switch the point once you've put the train in the siding and it will isolate that piece of track - the main loop would still be live so you could put another train on that.

Tricky part is getting the train back of the siding as you'll first have to find somewhere for your commuter train to go to :)

ekellyie wrote: »

Yes, just switch the point once you've put the train in the siding and it will isolate that piece of track - the main loop would still be live so you could put another train on that.

Tricky part is getting the train back of the siding as you'll first have to find somewhere for your commuter train to go to :)

Siding opposite the station :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

you could also try adding in isolating track.you could place these by the points and then you could stop one train on the track,isolate it and then run another train over the points then un isolate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement