Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinding Brakes

• 10-04-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Chaps,

Had a bit of a scare there this afternoon. I was coming down into the underground carpark and i swerved to avoid another car coming up. But when i went to stop the car just slid and when i slammed on the brakes there was a grinding noise and alot of resistance on the pedal.

Now i was able to replicate it by driving and slamming on the brakes, and it seems after the grinding theres a mechanical sound (ABS?) Im not sure.

Can you guys give any advice on what it might be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The ABS can sound like grinding, and it can't guarantee the wheels won't lock. Is the car slowing down properly? Any ABS warning lights?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Should really be aware of new pads a lot earlier than that these days, most new pads have a sort of a whistle built in as an indicator.

Did you kerb it recently perhaps? Drive through gravel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wet weather was the only contributing factor, apart from heavy breaking the car brakes fine.

@confab, no warning lights at all. Just that mechanical sound once the car stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

ABS if it's not happening under normal braking. If it's "grinding" every time you tip the pedal it's something else.

I usually drive older cars so maybe newer cars are more refined, but my ABS usually sounds like a loud "BAWRRRRRR!" and the pedal kicks back me pretty hard. EDIT -a corolla G6R wouldn't be the height of refinement, so I'd expect a similar noise and feel in your car.

Some carparks seem to be surfaced with teflon, but crappy tyres or small stones stuck in your tyres can kick in the ABS wher you wouldn't expect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

sounds like ABS to me if you felt a juddering sensation from the pedal op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Jack the car up on both sides, take of wheels and check to see how much still left on the brake pads, if they are low get them changed asap as you will damage the discs leading to further expense in repairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Brakes fine under normal conditions.

Doesn't brake under heavy braking.

Low brake fluid or you've a bulge in the lines and it's flexing when you slam on.

You don't have to jam on for ABS to cut in, especially in wet conditions.

Is there any excess vibration or feedback from the steering wheel when you jam on?

Have you tried easing onto the pedal 1st and then jam it on to see how it reacts?

Theres no vibration from the steering wheel from what i can remember.

When I ease on theres not a peep out of her, its only when i slam on the brakes i get the massive resistance from the brake pedal and the grinding sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Sounds like the ABS is kicking in alright.

Sometimes dirt and corrosion on the ABS rings can cause the system to activate early. If it was worn pads, then the grinding would be constant every time you brake.

What is the brand and condition of your tyres OP?

Either way, its brakes, so have them checked anyway to be certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Something similar happened me a few years ago. The brake pad had broken : impressive metal grinding noises and resistance in the pedal.

If this is what it is, it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

V

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Vicxas wrote: »
    When I ease on theres not a peep out of her, its only when i slam on the brakes i get the massive resistance from the brake pedal and the grinding sound.

That's normal so. A lot of people will come off the brake when the pedal kicks back, which increases stopping distance. Keep pushing for max braking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres no vibration from the steering wheel from what i can remember.

its definitely your ABS, i more than likely kicked in as you went into a slide in the carpark, probably due to wet surface. If the carpark has a painted floor this is hightened.

Suggestion would be to slow down, 5Kmph is more than enough entering an underground carpark theyre are pedestrians there too. Sorry to sound like a bore but there are speedy idiots driving in these with no concern for people walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Agree with those above its your ABS I would say.

Thanks guys,

My tires are Falken Ziex 135 (or something like that) So they're not a crappy brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thanks guys,

My tires are Falken Ziex 135 (or something like that) So they're not a crappy brand.

How much thread is left on them though.

Underground/multistory car parks can be slippy at the best of times but for the most part, if people feel the ABS kicking in under anything less then full on emergency braking then poor tyres are often to blame.

A good bit of thread left on them.

Advertisement