Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I add a SSD to a very old PC?

Options
  • 10-04-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've an 8 year old Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo L PC that I have in the back room of the house for music playing.

The 2nd HD I've put in it has now died and I'm thinking it's time to put a bullet in it, however would it be possible to put a SSD into it?

I've upgraded the ram and graphics card and stuck Ubuntu on it so although it's slow it's not THAT so for what I use it for, so with an SSD I'm guessing it would be a good deal quicker?

Is it a chore to put an SSD into an older PC?

Any help is very much appreciated

Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Old PCs benefit the most from SSDs, usually, so it's perfectly acceptable to do. Any budget / size ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Does the motherboard have SATA or IDE?

IDE solid state drives can be quite a bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Telchak wrote: »
    Does the motherboard have SATA or IDE?

IDE solid state drives can be quite a bit slower.

You wouldn't be putting a laptop IDE drive in anyway. Better to get a regular drive and just buy an adapter.

This video of a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo L has SATA ports in it. There could be different variations and if it's going back that far, it could even be SATA 1.5Gbps, so the speed could be limited quite a bit. Should be still good response times though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSYdYdfpdxo

Advertisement