Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to skateboard

Options
  • 10-04-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, I was just thinking of learning skateboarding, so I am just looking for info how much a skateboard costs, where I can buy one and skateparks in the Cork City area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No idea about places in cork but boards can cost you from €30 (NOOOOOOOO, saw dust and pre-rusted metal) to €300+.
    Starting off, I'd buy something for ~€100.
    www.wreckless.ie should be able to sort you out.

Get a helmet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Balloon

Thanks, I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

Touchwood in Cork sell boards and set ups, they are down near the quays in Cork City....here is there Facebook and their website

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm looking to get into skating myself, and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a few Irish based online skate supply place that will take Laser? Wreckless, yeah, anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 serpents08

www.theboardroom.ie and www.skateshop.ie

Seems like the only other irish based skateshops.

• Advertisement

http://www.g1skates.com/

Based in Dublin, was always my go to skate shop.

Edit: Seems like they could update their website though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Balloon

What exactly are the good brands? I could name one or two, but not a lot. Thanks for all the info

serpents08 wrote: »

Alrighty, just out of interest, Wreckless and theboardroom.ie seem to be the only ones who take Laser directly - skateshop.ie take Laser over the phone. g1skate, I can't really... tell, frankly.

All sites could do with a look at their web design, tbh.[/nerd]

That's not what I mean though, it's a separate whinge - I was just surprised at how outdated and weirdly formatted most skate sites I browsed were, particularly given how young and net adept their consumers are likely to be.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. What do you think of www.SkateNutter.com in this regard? I'm asking as my chief design advisor and cofounder is my skate mad son who is 15 years old. Any and all input would be appreciated as we are striving to make the site as funky as possible.

Very easy to find everything, and I like how much room you have for videos, customer feedback and social skating too. The customisation options are really nicely done and that stood out; easily available and self explanatory without being too Ryanair about it.

One thing I would say is you could do with a little label somewhere on the frontpage about what methods of payment you accept - paypal, mastercard logos or what have you. Not just for the sake of convenience, but because, weirdly, I've found that having that there is subconsciously quite reassuring for customers that they're dealing with a professional outfit.

Otherwise, I like it a lot. There's a lot of information, but I can navigate very easily and it's all very clear - your chief design advisor has something to fall back on in the unlikely event a pro career doesn't shake out for him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 SkateNutter

Very easy to find everything, and I like how much room you have for videos, customer feedback and social skating too. The customisation options are really nicely done and that stood out; easily available and self explanatory without being too Ryanair about it.

One thing I would say is you could do with a little label somewhere on the frontpage about what methods of payment you accept - paypal, mastercard logos or what have you. Not just for the sake of convenience, but because, weirdly, I've found that having that there is subconsciously quite reassuring for customers that they're dealing with a professional outfit.

Otherwise, I like it a lot. There's a lot of information, but I can navigate very easily and it's all very clear - your chief design advisor has something to fall back on in the unlikely event a pro career doesn't shake out for him. :)

Many thanks for your kind reply and your suggestion for a payment icon is now taken on board. SkateNutter.com now displays the PayPal for Business Logo on the footer of all pages. My chief advisor was delighted with your comments.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Wreckless accept all payment methods !

just give us a call and we can discuss your needs. As you can see we have the largest selection of skate product in Ireland available, footwear, clothing, hardware and accessories. And if we dont have , we can get it! ;)

contact details as per website

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Iverson101

In regards to the original question by Balloon, we've Touchwood as was mentioned, your one stop shop for everything skate in cork, from DC crew footwear to boards, got it all, including an indoor park for the rainy days. Also, we've got the Mardyke park, across from the main gates of UCC, small 'crete outdoor park, tonnes of fun. Lastly, there's Ballincollig, bit of a trek from the city, plastic ramps, fun from time to time, but we don't skate it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

serpents08 wrote: »

Another one based in Dublin, Tallaght www.gosk8.ie they do longboards, skateboards, Roller Skates etc email them for a selection of skateboards. They have pretty good prices to.

Good luck

Gosk8 are good, my GF just got some roller skates there, €30 less than Skate City but well, we all know about SC's prices...

Real nice guy that owns it, be sure to give him a ring before you head out though as finding it can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Playmobil

I went to G1 I think (the tiny place upstairs in O'Connell street?) a few weeks ago and it looks like it's closed down.

I'm looking to get my 8 year-old a new board. He had a 25 euro one from argos and he loves it, but the bearings have gone.

I'm a bit confused about what to look for and how much to spend to get a decent beginners board. Are the sub 100 euro completes from wreckless and skatenutter any good? Any tips?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 SkateNutter

Playmobil wrote: »
    I went to G1 I think (the tiny place upstairs in O'Connell street?) a few weeks ago and it looks like it's closed down.

I'm looking to get my 8 year-old a new board. He had a 25 euro one from argos and he loves it, but the bearings have gone.

I'm a bit confused about what to look for and how much to spend to get a decent beginners board. Are the sub 100 euro completes from wreckless and skatenutter any good? Any tips?

The €25.00 board is just a toy board so therefore you can expect it to have a very short life span.

We sell only professional quality boards and accessories at SkateNutter.com and our cheaper range are ideal for a beginner.

I could let you have this one for around €90 after sign up to our bargain corner 10% discount deal http://www.skatenutter.com/custom-completes/oskate-yes-we-can-complete-skateboard.

For advice on all aspects of getting into skateboarding see our ‘All About Skateboarding’ page on our website http://www.skatenutter.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=12

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Playmobil

Thanks a million SkateNutter. I'll see if he likes the graphics!

Advertisement