Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in Bedroom

Options
  • 10-04-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I noticed some mold appearing on my bedroom ceiling over the past 2 weeks. I have only been in my house 2 months. The bathroom ceiling was covered in it when I moved in, but this is because there is no fan. So I've repainted the bathroom and thought I'd give the bedroom a lick of paint while at it. I got some mold spray remover and sprayed the edge of the bedroom ceiling where it was, but as I did this I noticed how the paint bleached. My bedroom had this mark along the edge of the ceiling from when I moved in, so the mold had previously been removed just before I came to look at the place.
    The gross part is when I went to get a bag I don't often use from the back of the wardrobe and it was covered in mold! :(
    After bleaching all the edges of the room yesterday, and removing any visible mold, I aired out the room and put tea tree on an oil burner to get the spores in the air. Today I went round all the edges again with white distilled vinegar and tea tree diluted with water in a sprayer. I've noticed my clothes smelling a bit fusty so I took out half the wardrobe and found a pair of boots I hardly wear destroyed! :eek: It was disgusting, I had to throw them out the window!?! no other signs of mold in the wardrobe.. so far :( I've now sprayed all the inside of the wardrobe with the vinegar and tea tree mix. I'm going to start washing all my clothes putting the same mix in the washing machine.
    I'm seriously grossed out by this. How can I make sure it won't come back?? When I moved in the house smelt fusty (I think an old man shut in lived here before) but I figured I could fix it. I pretty much have, I cleaned the place from top to bottom with detol before I moved in, no carpets so I figured it was safe enough. The place now smells like my oil burners except for the storage room which I'm going to paint next week. But the bedroom is freaking me out now.
    How do I fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Theres anti mould paint you can get. Its pricey but it comes with a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anti-mold paint will cover the mold, but may not solve the issue properly.

Are you trying clothes in the bedroom? That will definitely cause mold on the ceilings as the water from the clothes will evaporate and settle on the ceiling.

Do you often open the windows of the bedroom? A lot of condensation is formed from the breath of sleeping bodies, in the mornings you should be opening your windows to let the air in.

Is the mold close to an exterior wall? Perhaps there is moisture seeping into the walls from the outside. This can happen if the gutters are broken or full of moss and gunk.

What you need to do is to get a hydrometer to measure humidity on the ceiling. If the reading is excessive, then there is an underlying issue that needs to be gotten to the bottom of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Read posts #18 and #19 on page 2 of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351823&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, The bedroom itself is on a ground floor and not attached to anything.
    The sun does not shine directly on it. There is moss along the outside wall where the built in wardrobe is attached too. I'm going to check the gutters today, because I've seen birds living/washing in them. I'm fairly sure there is moss the whole way round the outside of each wall, due to lack of sun exposure. I don't dry my clothes indoors.
    I have been sleeping with the door and windows closed, but from now on will keep the door open. I don't have the heating on during the day. I tend to open all the windows in the house for at least 30min-hour once a day. I would have the oil heating on at night for maybe 2-4 hours. There is always condensation on the bedroom window in the morning (even after last night with the bedroom door open). The bedroom is freezing in the mornings.
    I'm sure the landlord won't/can't do anything about it. But I need too. I noticed my PJs smelling slightly fusty the other day and I had them under the duvet, so I'm worried now my bed is damp.
    The room is now mold free and I'm airing out the wardrobes. I don't know if it was just a colder night last night in general, but I found the room colder with all my clothes out of the wardrobe and the door open.

I was thinking of getting this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Dri-Dehumidifier-Releases-Damaging/dp/B002T3VPCS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1334130957&sr=8-15

but it can't be left on at night due to noise. If I kept that on in the evening when the heating is on do you think that would do the job? If I kept the wardrobe doors open when using it? I've noticed dehumidifying bags for small spaces too. I'm not fond of strong chemicals so I'll have to look into that.

Any other suggestions greatly welcome. :)

I forgot to mention - the mold isn't appearing on the windows. It was on the three lower and upper corners of the room (wardrobe takes up other corner), and along one side (side furthest away from rest of house). It can't be seen inside the wardrobe at all, was just covering certain plastic type items.

• Advertisement

Is the mold close to an exterior wall? Perhaps there is moisture seeping into the walls from the outside. This can happen if the gutters are broken or full of moss and gunk.

This appears to be the problem. Water logged. My landlord doesn't want to know about the problem so I need to fix it myself. I've never cleaned gutters before :/ I have a ladder, so if I unclog the gutters and clear out the moss, how long do you think it would take for the room to dry out? Just so I know that it was actually the causing the problem. I can't afford a dehumidifier so it will just be aired out by open windows and central heating.

ShizDink wrote: »
    This appears to be the problem. Water logged. My landlord doesn't want to know about the problem so I need to fix it myself. I've never cleaned gutters before :/ I have a ladder, so if I unclog the gutters and clear out the moss, how long do you think it would take for the room to dry out? Just so I know that it was actually the causing the problem. I can't afford a dehumidifier so it will just be aired out by open windows and central heating.
    IMHO, it is the landlord's responsibility to clean/have cleaned the gutters.

Write to the landlord explaining the problem and give him a deadline of 14 days to remedy the problem. Advise him that failure to do so will be a breach of his obligations. Furthermore, if he fails to remedy the problem, you will get a professional to do the job. If he does not refund you the costs, you are legally able to deduct the cost from the rent.

Thanks Oddson but my landlord isn't well, he was in hospital today so I'll be fixing this myself. It's only a one story building and it's just around the bedroom that is the problem, so it shouldn't take me more than tomorrow morning to do. Hopefully. Have you any idea how long it will take the room to dry out? It's the health issues of sleeping in a damp room that I'm worried about, I don't care how it's fixed as long as it is fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thanks Oddson but my landlord isn't well, he was in hospital today so I'll be fixing this myself. It's only a one story building and it's just around the bedroom that is the problem, so it shouldn't take me more than tomorrow morning to do. Hopefully. Have you any idea how long it will take the room to dry out? It's the health issues of sleeping in a damp room that I'm worried about, I don't care how it's fixed as long as it is fixed :)
    Honestly if you can move out ASAP , there is major health risks and what your describing sounds much worse than just a single leaky gutter.

I was once in a similar situation to yourself it took me having a full blown allergic reaction to the mold to move out, the unseen spores in the air and dust caused my throat to almost close , scariest moment of my life.

To say the wardrobe etc is affected would point to it being really bad , move now you will be due your depsoit back as that room is not habitable , it is honestly a health risk.

Honestly if you can move out ASAP , there is major health risks and what your describing sounds much worse than just a single leaky gutter.

I was once in a similar situation to yourself it took me having a full blown allergic reaction to the mold to move out, the unseen spores in the air and dust caused my throat to almost close , scariest moment of my life.

To say the wardrobe etc is affected would point to it being really bad , move now you will be due your depsoit back as that room is not habitable , it is honestly a health risk.

The thoughts of moving again are painful. My friend said he had mold but managed to remove it. I don't want to wait till my throat closes over, but maybe I can fix it! What is the last straw? If the mold comes back? how bad was the mold in your place? It's impossible to see how bad it is because I can't see the spores :( I was coughing and sneezing a bit when cleaning, but I'm sure that was just because the mold was disturbed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I think you are crazy to spend your time, and money, and possibly your health to fix something that is someone else responsibility, and that someone can't be bothered to do. This problem didn't happen overnight, so they've been ignoring it for some time, and let you move in knowing there was this problem. Also in the future you're likely to get the same response with other problems.

The thoughts of moving again are painful. My friend said he had mold but managed to remove it. I don't want to wait till my throat closes over, but maybe I can fix it! What is the last straw? If the mold comes back? how bad was the mold in your place? It's impossible to see how bad it is because I can't see the spores :( I was coughing and sneezing a bit when cleaning, but I'm sure that was just because the mold was disturbed.
    In my situation to the naked eye the mold wasnt bad but it was constantly reacurring , youd clean it down and it would go away for a month and then come back, in the lead up to the severe allergic reaction, i found when in the room i had a constant tickle in my throat and nose was slighltly runny like the first symptoms of a cold.

The mold spores are already allover your clothes and bedclothes and belongings now, i know the thoughts of moving are painful but your in a incredibly unhealthy environment now i would suggest moving asap , take photos of the mold etc as proof of the extent of the problem etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

my landlord isn't well, he was in hospital today
    Did he live in the house before you? :eek:

Right I'm moving out. Problem is I've now cleaned up all the mold and have only lived here 2 months. I'm afraid about not getting back deposit. Going to see about getting a hyrometer now.

My nose has been running non stop, and my ears feel weird the way they do before I get a flu :( having my clothes smell damp is annoying, but I'm not risking my health.

Last time I spoke to my landlord he insisted he never had a damp/mold problem, nor did the previous tenant. However when I moved in in January there was a giant fan in the bedroom. I can only imagine the place had just been cleaned up, and I know from the bleach marks on the ceiling that some one had this problem before. I'm just afraid now he won't give me back my deposit because I can't prove the problem .. I should have taken photos before I cleaned. I did show him my tri-pod cover which was moldy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can't just move out. you have to follow the correct procedure to move out.

Right I'm moving out. Problem is I've now cleaned up all the mold and have only lived here 2 months. I'm afraid about not getting back deposit. Going to see about getting a hyrometer now.

My nose has been running non stop, and my ears feel weird the way they do before I get a flu :( having my clothes smell damp is annoying, but I'm not risking my health.

Last time I spoke to my landlord he insisted he never had a damp/mold problem, nor did the previous tenant. However when I moved in in January there was a giant fan in the bedroom. I can only imagine the place had just been cleaned up, and I know from the bleach marks on the ceiling that some one had this problem before. I'm just afraid now he won't give me back my deposit because I can't prove the problem .. I should have taken photos before I cleaned. I did show him my tri-pod cover which was moldy.
    Are you registered with PRTB ? if so you should leave them know why you intend to leave etc.
    If your going to break your lease get as much good quality photographic evidence as you can , and a doctors letter saying that he believes the mould may be bringing on health problems in you will strengthen your case.

Take photos of any evidence of previous bleaching etc to back up your point.

Also contact these guys before informing landlord they will tell you correct way to go about it.
    http://www.threshold.ie/

If your there less than 6 months only 28days written notice is required on your end. Following this procedure should ensure your deposit back.

If your after signing a lease for a long period ask threshold about it they should know and help especially if its causing health problems

Are you registered with PRTB ? if so you should leave them know why you intend to leave etc.
    If your going to break your lease get as much good quality photographic evidence as you can , and a doctors letter saying that he believes the mould may be bringing on health problems in you will strengthen your case.

Take photos of any evidence of previous bleaching etc to back up your point.

Also contact these guys before informing landlord they will tell you correct way to go about it.
    http://www.threshold.ie/

If your there less than 6 months only 28days written notice is required on your end. Following this procedure should ensure your deposit back.

If your after signing a lease for a long period ask threshold about it they should know and help especially if its causing health problems

If your there less than 6 months only 28days written notice is required on your end.
    This only applies to Part 4 tenancies.
    However, with a fixed term lease, where a landlord is in breach of his obligations AND he has been notified and given the chance to remedy the problem, 28 days notice is required to be given by the tenant irrespective of the time he has been in occupation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

House needs a positive ventilation system installed, cost between 500 - 900 euro probably

I got hold of my landlord and he is being very sound. I'm moving out next week. Going to sleep in a friends house for now, and hopefully find somewhere else to rent for the 1st of May.

Thanks for all the advice :)

If a house is attached to another that is boarded up and not in use, is that side of the house liable to cause problems? I'm viewing today and trying my best to anticipate future problems!

• Advertisement

ok one last question. Whilst in the process of packing I lifted up my Jewellery box and all underneath it was black mold so I've cleaned it up. I'm washing all my clothes before moving to the new place. Am I just bringing the mold spores with me on my stuff? Will I be safe enough as long as the new place isn't damp?

*also I'm moving my stuff to my friends for one week inbetween whilst moving, I don't want to be bringing mold spores to her!! am I safe doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Yeah a hot wash should clear it out of your cloths

If a property is joined to a derelict property it may cause some problems, the building could be damp depending on how long it's empty, it could pass through the walls depending on the weather etc. Does it have a roof? If the roof is leaking in their side it would cause problems. rodents could be taking advantage of it also, they could be in the attic which could lead them to yours, they may also be able to pass through joints in the wall (I've a similar problem now, my neighbour has always had mice, we spend a fortune trying to catch them. We can't find the gap in the attic they're coming in and they also were in the walls.)

In regards to the mould, I don't think it can ever be removed unless you strip the plaster board, for all you know the insulation inside the wall could have been water damaged and thats never going to clear up unless it's replaced, if the insulation is in the cavity wall it could still travel through the dampness in the block work, also you said there was mould on the exterior wall, is it plastered or exposed brick?

It's not just developed over the past few months, it's most likely underlying and git worse in the winter, if the wall is exposed brick it could be seeping into the wall, if the insulation got wet it would sag and sink to the bottom and mould would grow in it, its ideal, is the mold on all exterior walls? Preferably on shaded walls?

If you tap away at the insulation you can hear/feel if it's wet through, depending on where the insulation is placed it should sound hollow, just tap along the wall from mouldy parts to a dry wall, if it's hollow higher it may have been flooded.

The plot thickens ... when I signed my lease it was not with my landlord. It was a friend of my landlords (apparently my landlord has problems with paper work). So I went into this persons office in town and got a receipt from him on one of his companies compliments slips. He signed my landlords name for him on the tenancy agreement. I couldn't get through to my landlord to tell him I had to move out (because the shower wasn't working and my landlord was avoiding me), so I contacted this other guy. The next day my landlord arrives with his son pretending to fix they shower (neither of them had a clue- at this point the shower hasn't worked in a week), so I ask has he spoken with his friend? He says no, but I honestly don't think he would have called down had I not contacted his friend. I tell him I'm having breathing difficulties since cleaning the mold and that the place is damp and I have to leave. He is completely fine with this and asks when could I be out by? I had started sleeping in a friends at this stage so as not to affected my breathing even more, so I tell him all I have to do is move my stuff out and I could do that next week. He says fine give me a call when you are all out and I will fix up with you.
    So I move all my stuff out, clean the place and give him a call. He says he can't meet me the next day because he is in hospital, so I say how about the friday? he says he will call me the the Thursday evening.
    There is an alarm on the house and I was the only one with the code. I hear nothing from him Thursday, but on Friday morning I get a call from him with the alarm going off in the background, I'm close by so I say hang on I'll be there in a min. Whilst driving he calls me again and leaves a voicemail for me saying he needs the code that he has a doctors appointment (I didn't get this message until later that evening). So I arrive at the house and turn the alarm off. He asks me for the code, and I ask him why he didn't call me? He gets aggressive in tone and annoyed that I'm not giving him the alarm code. I had paid rent up until the end of April, and he had not given me my deposit back, so I said I wanted to keep the alarm on because if the place gets broken into with no one there I'll be the one paying for damages. Very annoyed he starts threatening to change locks, and makes me quite anxious so I give him the code. I'm very upset at this stage because I felt he is not going to give me back my deposit :( he keeps lying to me. He tries to get me out of the house so I ask when can I meet to get my deposit? He says on Monday because he has to wait for a cheque to clear. Next thing an auctioneer arrives to value the house... the landlord is selling (because he can't rent a damp, moldy house). This is why he was in a hurry, not a doctors appointment.
    I was really upset to the point of tears, I couldn't help it. An hour later he called me looking for blinds. I told him where they were and that I took them down because they were covered in black mold (had been since before I moved in, I just thought they were dirty). During the previous confrontation he told me to stop telling people the place is damp! and even kept a bit of the mold to show him, but he said it was just dust?! the place is riddled in it. It has taken me 2 weeks to get the damp smell out of everything I own.
    Anyway, when he called looking for the blinds I had calmed down a bit and I knew they were awkward to hang up so I said I'd be up to him to hang them for him. When I went up he was in good form because the auctioneer said he could sell the place for him. I hung the blinds. We had a little random chat and seemed on good terms again. He assured me I would get my deposit back. He said he would either meet me that Saturday, or Monday and if he couldn't he would get me to call into his friend again on the Monday. He also said he would call me that night (Friday). He didn't. I also gave him the key of the house back that day. I've tried calling him all this week and he won't answer.

It is the worst experience I've ever had with a landlord. He just lied to me non stop. I was going to give him till May and if he still doesn't answer the phone call into his friend, seen as that's where my receipt is from.

Do I have a leg to stand on here? He should never have rented out that house in the first place, and he was completely fine with me moving out, had no problems then. On the Friday he mentioned not giving a months notice or staying the year, but the week before when I told him he was completely fine! said he had no problem giving me back my deposit :/ it's like he has done all this on purpose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

nm wrote: »
    House needs a positive ventilation system installed, cost between 500 - 900 euro probably

All apartments should be made to have one of these. If they dont, then dont rent it.

The plot thickens ... when I signed my lease it was not with my landlord. It was a friend of my landlords (apparently my landlord has problems with paper work). So I went into this persons office in town and got a receipt from him on one of his companies compliments slips. He signed my landlords name for him on the tenancy agreement. I couldn't get through to my landlord to tell him I had to move out (because the shower wasn't working and my landlord was avoiding me), so I contacted this other guy. The next day my landlord arrives with his son pretending to fix they shower (neither of them had a clue- at this point the shower hasn't worked in a week), so I ask has he spoken with his friend? He says no, but I honestly don't think he would have called down had I not contacted his friend. I tell him I'm having breathing difficulties since cleaning the mold and that the place is damp and I have to leave. He is completely fine with this and asks when could I be out by? I had started sleeping in a friends at this stage so as not to affected my breathing even more, so I tell him all I have to do is move my stuff out and I could do that next week. He says fine give me a call when you are all out and I will fix up with you.
    So I move all my stuff out, clean the place and give him a call. He says he can't meet me the next day because he is in hospital, so I say how about the friday? he says he will call me the the Thursday evening.
    There is an alarm on the house and I was the only one with the code. I hear nothing from him Thursday, but on Friday morning I get a call from him with the alarm going off in the background, I'm close by so I say hang on I'll be there in a min. Whilst driving he calls me again and leaves a voicemail for me saying he needs the code that he has a doctors appointment (I didn't get this message until later that evening). So I arrive at the house and turn the alarm off. He asks me for the code, and I ask him why he didn't call me? He gets aggressive in tone and annoyed that I'm not giving him the alarm code. I had paid rent up until the end of April, and he had not given me my deposit back, so I said I wanted to keep the alarm on because if the place gets broken into with no one there I'll be the one paying for damages. Very annoyed he starts threatening to change locks, and makes me quite anxious so I give him the code. I'm very upset at this stage because I felt he is not going to give me back my deposit :( he keeps lying to me. He tries to get me out of the house so I ask when can I meet to get my deposit? He says on Monday because he has to wait for a cheque to clear. Next thing an auctioneer arrives to value the house... the landlord is selling (because he can't rent a damp, moldy house). This is why he was in a hurry, not a doctors appointment.
    I was really upset to the point of tears, I couldn't help it. An hour later he called me looking for blinds. I told him where they were and that I took them down because they were covered in black mold (had been since before I moved in, I just thought they were dirty). During the previous confrontation he told me to stop telling people the place is damp! and even kept a bit of the mold to show him, but he said it was just dust?! the place is riddled in it. It has taken me 2 weeks to get the damp smell out of everything I own.
    Anyway, when he called looking for the blinds I had calmed down a bit and I knew they were awkward to hang up so I said I'd be up to him to hang them for him. When I went up he was in good form because the auctioneer said he could sell the place for him. I hung the blinds. We had a little random chat and seemed on good terms again. He assured me I would get my deposit back. He said he would either meet me that Saturday, or Monday and if he couldn't he would get me to call into his friend again on the Monday. He also said he would call me that night (Friday). He didn't. I also gave him the key of the house back that day. I've tried calling him all this week and he won't answer.

It is the worst experience I've ever had with a landlord. He just lied to me non stop. I was going to give him till May and if he still doesn't answer the phone call into his friend, seen as that's where my receipt is from.

Do I have a leg to stand on here? He should never have rented out that house in the first place, and he was completely fine with me moving out, had no problems then. On the Friday he mentioned not giving a months notice or staying the year, but the week before when I told him he was completely fine! said he had no problem giving me back my deposit :/ it's like he has done all this on purpose :(

Is your landlord aware that forging signatures is highly illegal?

the whole thing has been wrong from day one. But at the end of it, do I have any hopes of getting my deposit back legally? I'll never rent again unless it's through an agency :/

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

We had very bad mold in an apartment a few years ago. We moved and had it in the new apartment.
    We were about to move again when a friend who works at damp proofing told us to stop drying clothes on the radiators. We did and the mold disappeared.
    Then we started using a clothes horse and it came back. Then we used the dryer instead after that and no more mold problems since.

the whole thing has been wrong from day one. But at the end of it, do I have any hopes of getting my deposit back legally? I'll never rent again unless it's through an agency :/

His friend forged his signature. Threaten legal action cahnces are theres a lot more dodgy activities this guy is engaged in. He wont want the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GAACL

I had problem with mould too in a window, got a fella in to repair, he used anti fungal paint, let it dry for 48hours, then glossed the window with a couple of coats, then painted with normal paint. it worked a treat!

• Advertisement

The mold is now the least of my worries :( landlord is still uncontactable. This has to be illegal .. how do I go about getting the deposit back?
    Rather than sending people round to his house ;)

Advertisement