Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snakebite robbed

Options
  • 10-04-2012 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just thought I'd post this here to help raise the awareness for Snakebite since I figure there's people here from all over and some who are involved in piercing and tattoo, horrible thing to happen. From their Facebook;

We were robbed over the weekend and the scumbags got away with most of Seán's and Denise's machines and more!
    Please spread the word to anyone you know working in the business to be on the lookout for stolen equipment being offered for sale to tattoo shops around the country.
    The list includes:
    Eikon EMS300 power supply
    Micky Sharpz Mikrodial #16491
    Stigma Fly (silver)
    Starr black rotary (gem classic)
    FK Irons AL13 Galaxie colour packer
    Dragonfly (purple)
    Swashdrive Whip
    Kingpin Dial Liner
    Kingpin U-shape shader
    Gem Rotary
    Micky Sharpz Dial liner and shader
    Workhouse Iron Feather shader
    Please contact us if you are offered any of these items.
    Please share, thanks very much

http://www.facebook.com/snakebitedublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

absolute scumbags, do decent people have any chance in this country at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

F*ck...:mad:
    Hopefully the insurance will cover it so they can be back up and running in no-time.
    I'd suggest people should perhaps also be wary of any new "scratchers" since if they can't get money for selling the equipment they might try make some money off inking people too foolish to check into their credentials.:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Reku wrote: »
    F*ck...:mad:
    Hopefully the insurance will cover it so they can be back up and running in no-time.
    I'd suggest people should perhaps also be wary of any new "scratchers" since if they can't get money for selling the equipment they might try make some money off inking people too foolish to check into their credentials.:(

Its not even the money aspect of it....when youve gotten a machine tuned just exactly right and are using it every day its loss is catastrophic--its a pain to start off again even with the same model machine and get it just right on that sweet spot.As for some of the machines mentioned above some of them seem to be older machines and have retained some of the machine "magic"** from the previous owners.

**a myth that machines retain some of the previous users skills and finesse

If they catch these bastards they should have thief tattooed on various highly visible parts of their bodies.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    **a myth that machines retain some of the previous users skills and finesse

You mean they don't retain some of the previous users' skills along with their blood?!?!:eek:
    :P

I didn't even realise that the tools were tunable, so shows what I know in that regard.

If they catch these bastards they should have thief tattooed on various highly visible parts of their bodies.
    And since they stole the shop's motorized equipment it'll have to be done in the traditional hand-tapping method.;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You mean they don't retain some of the previous users' skills along with their blood?!?!:eek:
    :P

Theres probably some of that aswell :)

I didn't even realise that the tools were tunable, so shows what I know in that regard.

Theres a whole other aspect to tattooing than just grabbing a machine and getting stuck in.
    A doorbell is a complicated piece of machinery :)

• Advertisement

Theres a whole other aspect to tattooing than just grabbing a machine and getting stuck in.
    Well that much I knew::rolleyes: (and would hope most people realise)
    • Steady hands and good dexterity
    • Artistic vision where the customer doesn't already have a printed picture of what they want
    • Staying inside the lines
    • Keeping the needle at the right depth in the flesh to ensure the ink remains clearly visible without making it likely to come away as the skin weeps and heals afterwards. Also need to be careful of nerves in the deeper tissue.
    • keeping the needle going at the appropriate pace to ensure no gaps without going too slowly, or tugging on the skin.
    :)

None-the-less I'm sure there are still other aspects that I've missed.:o

Well that much I knew: (and would hope most people realise)
    Steady hands and good dexterity
    Artistic vision where the customer doesn't already have a printed picture of what they want
    Staying inside the lines
    Keeping the needle at the right depth in the flesh to ensure the ink remains clearly visible without making it likely to come away as the skin weeps and heals afterwards. Also need to be careful of nerves in the deeper tissue.
    keeping the needle going at the appropriate pace to ensure no gaps without going too slowly, or tugging on the skin.

None-the-less I'm sure there are still other aspects that I've missed

You picked me up wrong completely--I meant solely in relation to the machine not in relation to ones skills.Its not as simple as buying a mcahine "off the shelf" so to speak and (assuming you have all the above) getting stuck in.

A machine has so many variables that its a whole other branch of the industry in tuning/building/maintaining machines etc.A machine has to be able to hammer in a thick black outline and also be able to do grey shading so soft that it looks like it was done with a feather.

Machines are tuned to individual artists--ie hand speed,hit etc--no 2 machines are identically tuned.

Thats why these machines no matter what they cost the artists are a huge loss--they have been tuned to that artist who owns them and thats a much bigger loss than any money can buy.

Look at the last coil machine I built--Its built as a liner *for me* but if someone buys that machine it might not suit them.I try build as close to a machine that anyone can use but depending on hand speed etc that machine might not suit everyone and will require tuning for them.

Ah, I get you now:o. The most tinkering I've seen anyone do with one was just the swapping out of needles for ones of a different size.

I could take a fair guess as to the circuitry to allow such tuning of the motor in them, and, if it's the way I'm thinking of, it wouldn't be complex but would be EXTREMELY :mad: fiddly, so I wouldn't want to have to retune one. From what you describe it sounds like how deep it thrusts the needle might also be tunable, adding a further dimension to it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Absolute bastards whoever robbed that gear, one thing that really sicken's me is to hear stories of people's tools of their trade being stolen. It's not like stealing an Xbox360, you're not just knocking off some equipment - you're affecting their livelihood and their ability to put food on the table.

Advertisement