Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second small dog as companion for boxer??

• 10-04-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Just starting some research and looking for your opinions/advice!!

Currently have a 2 year old female boxer and thinking about getting a second small dog as a bit of company for her. She gets at least an hour off lead every day, and spends approx 4hours in the garden with access to the conservatory while we're at work.

My first idea is a male jack russell(minature?), they're small, tough and playful. I'd like a dog that is a little easier to train with off lead walking, i.e. they'll prefer stay close to me than run off to say hello to people.

And has to be good with kids as they'll be on the cards in the next few years.

Sure here's a pic..

.IMG_5493.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you had a look in rescues? You'd almost certainly find something similar there.

From my own experience of growing up with a JRTx I wouldn't recommend a terrier with kids. They won't stand for a lot of pulling and poking.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

kylith wrote: »
    Have you had a look in rescues? You'd almost certainly find something similar there.

From my own experience of growing up with a JRTx I wouldn't recommend a terrier with kids. They won't stand for a lot of pulling and poking.
    I'm gonna try decide on a breed first and then go searching, i will be looking at the rescues.
    Definitely has to be good with kids, that might rule the jrt out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I would highly recommend a jack russel, all the ones I had while growing up were fantastic with kids, never narky at all. I have a two year old female jack russel who is a companion for my four year old labrador, they do absolutely everything together :) My jack russel adores children, she doesn't mind my two year old cousin being a little rough with her either she just rolls onto her back for a tummy rub as a truce :D whenever she sees kids she bolts over to them to play or have her tummy rubbed. She has great recall but that took a few months to drill into her, their smart little dogs so they will pick it up quickly .. The only thing I fault her on is she can be very rough with our cats if she's allowed. . . Gorgeous boxer by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Your boxer is lovely :)Why not another boxer hehehehe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

JRT would be a great companion for the boxer but I agree with above that they're not always a great choice with kids, I have 2 and a toddler and they don't tolerate the toddler half as well as the other dogs do. Partly because of their size, especially the mini one, but also because of their personality. The mini one tolerates bad behaviour from no-one, human or canine. Obviously it can be managed, and no child should ever be left alone with any dog, but you may very well need eyes in the back of your head with a JRT and kids. Having said that my mini JRT is my little girl's best friend, not sure the feeling is mutual :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement