Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out, house looks like ****

• 10-04-2012 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RaouR

Have moved out of a house last weekend, the property manager went by to do and inspection and sens my 3 roommates moved back to sweden they only brought some of there clothes with them and left quite a lot behind, and there was also trash bags we had filled and just left in the house.
    There is a couple of burn marks on the couch as well and it has not been properly cleaned in like 2 month.

Got a call today from the property manager saying that they can hire a team to fix this and then take us to a court hearing possibly facing thousands in fines.

We have payed a deposit of 800€ and all the rents.

I was wondering what would actually happen if they take me to court for this? Will I get a multi-thousand fine or can I get away clean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Fines for what?

You paid the deposit - I take it thats gone? They could pursue you for any other damage to the property but probably won't be worth it.

As for getting away clean - if you were clean you probably wouldnt have this problem - tenants that wreck places annoy me but at the same time if the Landlord isnt going to do proper checks what do they expect.

I take it neither party had the common sense to photograph the place before and after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RaouR

I was never expecting to get any deposit back, thats why I just left the stuff and trash there.

Think the manager took pix before we moved in.
    And with clean I mean without a fine or whatever sens she where talking about calling us for a court hearing.

I dont think there is any real damage to the place. some old problems that the manager are aware of

They have not really held up there end of the deal ether, when we signed the contract it said it had a dish washer, that turned out to be broken, we where complaining about this several times and finally, after over a year, we got a new dishwasher.
    We also replaced the oven that we payed for our self cuz the old one could barely do anything, the manager was involved in this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RaouR wrote: »
    I was never expecting to get any deposit back, thats why I just left the stuff and trash there.

You sound like model tenants.

With people like you and the property crash I almost feel sympathy for the evil subclass of humanity known as landlords.

Yeah sure but is there any one who actually have any legal advice?

And if I would be called to a court hearing and getting find a couple of grand, would they try to get a hold of me and get me to pay if I left the country?

Yes, and they're not on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

And if I would be called to a court hearing and getting find a couple of grand, would they try to get a hold of me and get me to pay if I left the country?

I am happy to inform you that you may be liable for amounts far in excess of your deposit, and depending on the determination of your landlord there are several options open to pursue you.

Don't bother asking me to explain in any more depth as I am not going to breach the charter.

That doesn't sound to good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

they cant charge you more than it would cost to clean the place, repeat ( or replace the sofa) and get a cleaner, which is probably less than an 800 x4 deposit.

The deposit was for 800€ total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You're fecked. Wait for the inevitable letters to arrive or try to come to some type of agreement to pay off what's owed.

• Advertisement

Gonna try to get some guys over there tomorrow and take out all the **** and clean a bit and see what they say.

Does it matter at all that it took over a year for them to get us the dishwasher that was in the contract from the start? That should mean that they broke the contract as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Dunno, did you get a rent book, thats always a good one.

No I did not, never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

It's unlikely that the landlord will chase you for the costs of repairing damage (this is not legal advice, it's just an observation) under the "Just not worth it" act.

Hopefully you'll need to get a reference from your previous landlord if you ever need to rent a place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I don't understand why people don't organise a dilapidation report before and after moving in so that they are covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Fines for what?

You paid the deposit - I take it thats gone? They could pursue you for any other damage to the property but probably won't be worth it.

As for getting away clean - if you were clean you probably wouldnt have this problem - tenants that wreck places annoy me but at the same time if the Landlord isnt going to do proper checks what do they expect.

I take it neither party had the common sense to photograph the place before and after?

I would expect tenants to act in a tenant-like manner and have respect for the property and furnishings etc.

In England and Wales, the landlord doesn't do "inspections" and the tenant can make the house like a pigsty as long as the property is left in a clean and tidy condition when it is vacated at the end of the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The Landlord should be checking out the tenants before they even let the place. Having been a Landlord myself I know that mistakes can happen - but using a decent letting agency and being above board helps limit this.

There are far too many cowboy Landlords who ignore warning signs and make the life of other people who live in apartments more diffcult. I don't know about England and Wales - but in Ireland and Scotland inspections can happen and imo should be happening every three months.

I can only hope the PRTB sort them selves out so when you are living next door to some a-hole a Landlord has saddeled you with you can haul them infront of someone and hit them in the pocket to make sure they don't do it again!

I also think there should be a database of tenants with judgements against them. The only thing they should be allowed to rent is a carboard box in the pheonix park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

coylemj wrote: »
    You sound like model tenants.

With people like you and the property crash I almost feel sympathy for the evil subclass of humanity known as landlords.

Almost is the key word I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

When renting property in Ireland, is it usual that the landlord does a credit check or takes a landlord's reference for prospective tenants?
    Might help root out some of the bad apple tenants...

Advertisement