Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Lawl stopped to have dinner in the middle of a maths paper 1 and still got it finished in time, nice to know I'll have time for dinner in the LC exam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Togepi wrote: »
    Are these trigonometry proofs likely to come up? :( And how much would they be worth? I never did them, thought I'd be grand just leaving them out, but I can't afford to throw away marks if they're worth a lot. :(

Not sure but they're on the syllabus "/ Some of them are pretty short and it only took me 2-3 hours to learn to completely off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Not sure but they're on the syllabus "/ Some of them are pretty short and it only took me 2-3 hours to learn to completely off

I have to do half the course outside school, so I started them with my grinds teacher, but I found them so hard, they just make no sense whatsoever. :( Are they worth many marks?

I have to do half the course outside school, so I started them with my grinds teacher, but I found them so hard, they just make no sense whatsoever. :( Are they worth many marks?

I doubt they are, and I don't think they come up very often? Though I could be wrong about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Yeah the 3 theorems could come up in qst 6a along with stuff like proof by contradiction or constructions so they are avoidable but you will have to know synthetic gemoetry really well as thats the other option !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

My fear is that they'll pop up in Q6. There in some of the samples.
    Have a look over at them anyway. They look intimidating but once you write them out in your own words and think about them they start to make more sense :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Like everything in maths you need to know where to begin.. so learn that off .. maybe there is a trick in the middle ... learn that off too and know what your end point is :P
    thats how I learn off all my proofs :P
    on the topic of maths 5 whole p1s done today :D so thats like 40 questions in 8 hours ? so thats like 12 min per question :cool: hell yeah :D i'm got my maths mojo back :) actually less cause I took 10 min breaks every hour or so :') and 99% in one paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Are these trigonometry proofs likely to come up? :( And how much would they be worth? I never did them, thought I'd be grand just leaving them out, but I can't afford to throw away marks if they're worth a lot. :(

Definitely learn them along with the other 3!! i'd say they'll put one up and in fairness with a good hour spent writing them out you should have them learnt! Don't leave them out I'm telling you!!

Is anyone else find the maps in geography hard to draw. My maps never come out looking right unless I draw it carefully. I can do everything else even the sketch maps. But the map of Ireland, Brazil and Paris or Italy are quite hard to draw.

I have the pencil case with the map of ireland haha, don't think I'll risk bringing it into the exam though :P
    finality wrote: »
    I was at this maths quiz a few months ago and there was this really difficult integration question, harder than pretty much anything I've seen in past papers, and I had 5 minutes to do it... I got the right answer, left out the +c and didn't get the point for it. It broke my heart. I vowed never to forget the +c again, and I haven't so far. :L

Was that the question that said leave your answer in radians or something that came up in round 8? I don't think anyone got that it right in the centre I did it at.

Speaking of maths, did every single question in the 2010 paper 1 today in an hour and got it all right <3 I actually love paper 1 I find it really easy :P The only thing that'll bring me down is statistics :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

What are these trigonometry proofs you're all talking about? Proofs of the identities is it? Like the sine rule, cosine rule, sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 and the like?

Wesc. wrote: »
    Definitely learn them along with the other 3!! i'd say they'll put one up and in fairness with a good hour spent writing them out you should have them learnt! Don't leave them out I'm telling you!!

I have the pencil case with the map of ireland haha, don't think I'll risk bringing it into the exam though :P

Was that the question that said leave your answer in radians or something that came up in round 8? I don't think anyone got that it right in the centre I did it at.

Speaking of maths, did every single question in the 2010 paper 1 today in an hour and got it all right <3 I actually love paper 1 I find it really easy :P The only thing that'll bring me down is statistics :(

No that was a different one, though I got that too but wrote down something different because I thought I was wrong... that was such a bad day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

finality wrote: »
    Lawl stopped to have dinner in the middle of a maths paper 1 and still got it finished in time, nice to know I'll have time for dinner in the LC exam :D
    Ugh, give me your brain :L I seem to have spent 6 hours on/off (but mostly on!) doing just 3 years of differentiation/integration >_>

My teacher gave us a booklet with all those proofs, havent really learned them yet, ugh what is the point in rote-learning when project maths is here to stop that, seriously! :mad: Also, how many first principles are there in reality? Seems they can ask product/quotient rule too, but my book doesnt actually tell us that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I just remembered some of those proofs come up on the project maths on the ol too. There not too bad except I done it a while ago . I'm not sure I remember how it's done. I need to do maths paper 1 later .

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Ugh, give me your brain :L I seem to have spent 6 hours on/off (but mostly on!) doing just 3 years of differentiation/integration >_>

My teacher gave us a booklet with all those proofs, havent really learned them yet, ugh what is the point in rote-learning when project maths is here to stop that, seriously! :mad: Also, how many first principles are there in reality? Seems they can ask product/quotient rule too, but my book doesnt actually tell us that :eek:

First principles: x^2, x^3, 1/x, root x, sin x, cos x, sum rule, product rule and quotient rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I'm not too bad at it. I have a few notes from last year I think or I'll just read few the textbook. I haven't got a map so I just have to learn the symbols and analyse the different settlements. I don't mind a B1 or more. I haven't done many of the short questions this year I have most done from last year.
    How do you learn off your essays?

I basically try learn the first paragraph of my answer and then try recite from memory,then learn 2nd and try recite them both together and so on :P
    At the end when I think I know it I try write it out to see if I can still remember it :)

Patch just keep writing them out when they come up in q's :) I never had to learn off first principles, they just come to you if you've done them before a lot :) :P there is cosx ,sinx, sq root x , x^2, x, x^3, 1/x i think :) and yeah the can ask product/ quotient rule and the sum rule :P but there is all just the lil trick you have to know and you've got it :)
    I've never spent hours learning proofs, I hate wrote learning , especially in maths just because its more a doing subject :) I just have little memory tricks like my beginning middle end thing :P Flash card them maybe or something ? :P

First principles: x^2, x^3, 1/x, root x, sin x, cos x, sum rule, product rule and quotient rule.
    Is the sum rule not the product rule? I dunno if I've ever heard of a sum rule D: thank you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

David1994 wrote: »
    I basically try learn the first paragraph of my answer and then try recite from memory,then learn 2nd and try recite them both together and so on :P
    At the end when I think I know it I try write it out to see if I can still remember it :)

I do the same thing now as I don't always have enough time to write it. So trying to remember it that way is easier and saves time. I usually have to keep looking over it like the next day or I forget it.

Patch just keep writing them out when they come up in q's :) I never had to learn off first principles, they just come to you if you've done them before a lot :) :P there is cosx ,sinx, sq root x , x^2, x, x^3, 1/x i think :) and yeah the can ask product/ quotient rule and the sum rule :P but there is all just the lil trick you have to know and you've got it :)
    I've never spent hours learning proofs, I hate wrote learning , especially in maths just because its more a doing subject :) I just have little memory tricks like my beginning middle end thing :P Flash card them maybe or something ? :P
    Lol looks like I'll have to :P Embarrassingly the sin/cos x ones really confuse me D:
    What is this sum rule you all speak of? o.o

Lol looks like I'll have to :P Embarrassingly the sin/cos x ones really confuse me D:
    What is this sum rule you all speak of? o.o

sum rule : f(x) = U(x) + V(x)
    its very straightforward :P i thought myself it... cause we never finished the course :(
    i'll send you it tonight if you'd like patch ? :P

...I've never seen that in my life :L How does it crop up in regular questions, or does it? yes please :P

• Advertisement

...I've never seen that in my life :L How does it crop up in regular questions, or does it? yes please :P

once in the past 12 years if i'm not mistaken .. i did it today possibly 04/ 06 cant member :P :( maybe it was 02 :P its just like prove that f(x) = ...
    its grand :) wait till you see it done out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I do the same thing now as I don't always have enough time to write it. So trying to remember it that way is easier and saves time. I usually have to keep looking over it like the next day or I forget it.

I know its annoying :P

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Got a solid 7 if not 8 hours of Irish done today! :D thank god for supervised study in school :pac: Gonna do two more hours now and then focus completely on Maths Paper 2 tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

just got banned from after hours.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Martin_94 wrote: »
    What did ya do? Must have been pretty bad to get banned from AH :pac:

Did 5 or 6 hours study, had a grind, and I'll do 2 or 3 hours more hopefully. Twas a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Do any of you lads know how to identify a levee on an OS map??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Martin_94 wrote: »

Lol that was tragic.
    How do you start a thread?
    Uhh you just did:confused:

What did ya do? Must have been pretty bad to get banned from AH :pac:

Not at all.
    I was bored so I started a thread called "How do I start a thread on Boards.ie". I thought it was funny, anyway banned for a week.:(

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    Lol that was tragic.
    How do you start a thread?
    Uhh you just did:confused:

My "Will My Boss Fire Me" Question was much more succesful.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement